PDA

View Full Version : Curious Thunderstorm poll

Karen
08-14-2005, 06:32 PM
I realized that when I hear thunder, or even rain, my first impulse is go out to the porch to watch the storm. (After making sure any windows that need to be are shut.) It's a glassed-in porch, don't worry, but even if it wasn't, that's where I'd be.

Wondering just how normal that is ...

And you can post whether or not you live in an area that even gets thunderstorms, or whether they're a rare occurance. Here, we get them a lot in the summer, and I love 'em!

The last option is how my childhood neighbors - daughter my age, and her mother - would spend the storm, I kid you not.

jesse_3
08-14-2005, 06:38 PM
I LOVE to watch thunderstorms! I also love the smell of rain:) In MN, it isn't normal to have no thunderstorms within two weeks at a time!

As for your childhood neighbors, LOL! That is funny, a pillow over your ears!

Steph and Jes

catnapper
08-14-2005, 06:41 PM
I love thunderstorms too. We just had one roll through here.

Poor Nicki shivers in fear, while the cats act like nothign is happening. I feel guilty enjoying Mother Nature's spectacle while Nicki is so petrified.

kuhio98
08-14-2005, 06:42 PM
I voted to go to the window/porch and watch it, but what I would do is go outside and play in it. That's what I did as a kid during hurricanes in Mississippi and typhoons in Taiwan. I loved to be out in the storm. We very, very rarely get thunder in Anchorage. Hardly ever get a good rain, it's usually more like a drizzle.

Corinna
08-14-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm with my Dugan , run for the pillow and under the covers.

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-14-2005, 06:47 PM
When I hear thunder I run to get a kong and fill it with peanut butter for Tango or I paly with her since she's terribly afraid of them:( After I'm finished with her I ignore the storm....

chocolatepuppy
08-14-2005, 07:02 PM
I voted get nervous and stay away from the windows. We've got a lot of tall trees around us and have been hit by lightning several times! It's blown out a few things in our house and even wiped out a huge tree in our backyard when we were 20 ft away from it! :eek: So while I didn't used to be really scared of lightning, I now fear it!

CountryWolf07
08-14-2005, 07:05 PM
I go out and watch the storm.. it's fascinating, but dangerous.

gini
08-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Karen, interesting that you should post this, because I just had a cell phone call from my brother who lives in Hingham. He didn't want me to worry.

He and his wife were on the road - and due to the storm it took them one hour and a half to get home. The girls were with a neighbor and frightened to pieces. Lightening touched down right by the car and my sis in law was burned slightly.

They encountered lots of trees downed which delayed their return and they have no power.

I am assuming that you and Paul are alright........sure hope so.

chrissycat21
08-14-2005, 07:24 PM
I HATE thunderstorms! Ever since I was little they've made me feel really nervous. I really don't understand why though.

GoldenLuv
08-14-2005, 07:42 PM
I love thunderstorms unless they are outta control..

I am gonna try and take some pic's of the next one we have

Cincy'sMom
08-14-2005, 07:43 PM
During the day, I like to watch them....but if they hit after dark, or there is extreme amounts of wind...different story entirely! Don't ask me why, but I hate thunderstorms int he middle of the night. Boils down to a fear of tornadoes, but why atnight and not during the day? No idea!

I have gotten much better in the past 5 or 10 years. When I was in high school and it would storm at night I would pace until the storms passed.

slleipnir
08-14-2005, 08:04 PM
I like them unless I'm trying to sleep and it's really loud. I love to watch heavy rain and lightning. It hardly ever rains REALLY hard here, when it does it's only a short time. Instead we get weeks of rain ;) We don't even get a lot of thurderstorms here, every once and a while. I love listening to them at night when I'm trying to sleep (assuming it's not loud) Or just rain hitting my window

KYS
08-14-2005, 08:24 PM
We do not get many thunder storms.
(which I am glad because it scares the dogs)

but if I am home the first thing I do is either look out
the window or sit under the porch and watch
the lightening.

NoahsMommy
08-14-2005, 08:27 PM
We don't often get t-storms here, so when we do, I always like to watch them. :)

joanofark
08-14-2005, 08:38 PM
I look outside breifly... I love them though. Ecpecially when the electric goes out we get to light all the candles in the house and it makes everything real pretty (No PT though:(:(). I like to read and write when it storms too because it is sooo relaxing. And whenever it's over I like to go out and smell the rain... It's the best smell ever!!:)

Karen
08-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by gini
Karen, interesting that you should post this, because I just had a cell phone call from my brother who lives in Hingham. He didn't want me to worry.

He and his wife were on the road - and due to the storm it took them one hour and a half to get home. The girls were with a neighbor and frightened to pieces. Lightening touched down right by the car and my sis in law was burned slightly.

They encountered lots of trees downed which delayed their return and they have no power.

I am assuming that you and Paul are alright........sure hope so.

We're fine. We were out at Home Depot when the second big round of storms hit - and knocked the power out for the store! We stood there, and one employee woman said, confindently, "This is Home Depot, we have generators. They'll be on in just a minute." Well, they didn't, just emegency lighting was on, and some source of electricy, probably UPS (uninterruptable power supplies) to run a few cash registers.

There was flooding at the base of the hill the Waltham Home Depot is on - we were glad we were in our CRV, which has decent ground clearance. We got home no problem, just some big spashies, but the power was still on at home.

Cookiebaker
08-14-2005, 09:01 PM
The only time I have ever been afraid of a thunderstorm was when we were camping, and the only thing protecting me from it was a flimsy camper.

Besides that, I love thunderstorms. One of my fondest memories of being a little kid is when my Dad would open the garage door, and we would sit right inside and watch a horrible thunderstorm go on outside. I remember feeling so safe 'cause my Dad was there. :)

Logan
08-14-2005, 10:21 PM
I like to safely watch them, too, Karen, but these days, my first reaction is to make sure that Zipper and Lilly (my 2 chickens) are inside and the gates are secure. They get quite frightened. :(

Logan

cyber-sibes
08-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Ilove thunderstorms, too. I only get scared if the lightening sounds way too close, which happens on occasion. Actually I really missed thunderstorms when we moved from Ohio, the storms in Illinois just weren't nearly as spectacular. (It's nice to be back now) As a kid, my dad would take us into the attic to watch the lightening so we wouldn't be so afraid. We lived right on Lake Erie and could see it out over the lake. I love that after-storm fresh smell too.
(Star and Sherman do not share my appreciation of storms)

DogLover9501
08-14-2005, 10:51 PM
I love Thunderstorms!

rizzy
08-14-2005, 11:03 PM
I love thunderstorms, lol I have even tried to take pictures of lightning. I think that its amazing. Although I get a little bit scared when there are tornado warnings, lol.

G535
08-15-2005, 03:09 AM
We don't get many in my little corner of the world but when we do I run around and turn all the computers off, watch the lightning for a few minutes then join the cat under the bed!

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-15-2005, 03:42 AM
I go into hiding :eek: :rolleyes: :o

Randi
08-15-2005, 03:58 AM
It's rare we get a good thunderstorm here, but it does happen in the summer. I go and watch from the window, making sure the windows are closed - and I keep an eye on Fister. :) It seems that when I'm not scared, he isn't either. :)

In Spain, you get some really heavy stundertorms. Once, when John and I were on vacation there, we could see one coming, so we drove down to the harbour and got a table in our favourite outside cafe, to sit there and view it. What a show!!

mina'smomma
08-15-2005, 08:29 AM
I love thunderstorms. Mina likes to watch them too. The best view is from our bedroom so I'll sit there on the bed and watch while trying to sooth frightened Kasie and watch Mina bat at the lightening when it appears. She is just so fascinated by it. Like mommy like kitty I guess.

furrykidsmother
08-15-2005, 08:34 AM
Karen, I am actually not all that far from you in Southern NH, so we get quite a few thunderstorms too! I think I am more afraid because all of the furkids get scared, they all hide under the bed except Gidget, she loves to watch them!!! LOL!! Rip off a piece of tinfoil and this little girl is off to hide, but thunderstorms she loves!!

lvpets2002
08-15-2005, 08:44 AM
I voted that I go to the porch or backdoor & watch the storms.. In fact just had one pretty bad last night.. My main reason to watch is if I need to get the girls loaded & head for shelter elsewhere.. I live in Texas & known for toronados.. I did once have to get the girls all in the walk in closet due to heavy storm warning. Two of my six are very horrirfied of storms & I have to reasure them its ok..

Laura's Babies
08-15-2005, 09:18 AM
Well, I am not ashamed to admit that I am ready to hide under the bed during a storm! I grew up in Virginia where we use to have some HORRIABLE stroms. When I was real small during a storm, a ball of fire from a lightening came through our front door and on it's way to the back door (both open), it went through our TV and that thing blew up. This was not my imagination, Mama and Daddy talked about it for YEARS! Later, around my early teen years, lightening struck our refrigerator and I saw that happen. THEN, around about 1989 we went back up to visit my Dad and a storm came up while we were sitting on the porch. We had just remarked we needed to get inside when KA-BOOM! EVERYTHING went this erie blue color and the power lines across the street fell across the cars that were parked on the street. We like to have trampled one another to death getting in the house.... it had sturck the house next door and it was on fire!

So, I am HORRIFIED of storms. They are nothing to mess with and very dangerous..

ramanth
08-15-2005, 10:10 AM
I actually go outside. :o When lightning gets real close, I move indoors but stay by the windows to watch.

Ever seen that Air Force commercial where the girl is standing outside entranced by the tornado? Mom says that would be me. (and I don't disagree).

I love weather.

:D

ParNone
08-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Thunderstorm's are pretty frequent and pretty loud here, so luckily me and the 3 puppers are not afraid of them.

It's so hot here right now, that a storm blowing in is automatic frisbee time, cuz it cools down the temp so much. We've had daily storms lately in the afternoon, so Oz and Gull play frisbee with me (Murph is busy peeing on things), while I watch the lightening in the distance.

When it starts to get too close though or rain, we go inside. Then I'll watch from the window for a lil' bit. Maybe that's why Oz and Gull aren't afraid of'em, cuz they identify storms with play time.

Par...

new mom to a veiled
08-15-2005, 11:36 AM
I love to watch them..........We have had quite a few this summer. I do feel bad cuz my poor pupper just shakes with fear. I sit on the couch and look out the window and he hides his head behind me while I scratch him.

lbaker
08-15-2005, 12:02 PM
I love them and if it's during the day or evening I open the front or back door and sit just inside to watch and listen. I can't for too terribly long however because two of the six dogs are terrified and I have to hold and comfort them. If it's night time I love to listen while I lie in bed comforting and cooing to two quaking dogs under the covers :rolleyes: The cats couldn't care less :rolleyes:

dogzr#1
08-15-2005, 12:21 PM
I really love them!! Here in the part of Texas where we live, we don't have them too often. When we do have one I usually go outside and sit on our porch with my mom and step dad. Molly and Astra like to go and play in the rain. In July Hurricane Emily came close to us but in the middle of it we were playing baseball in the backyard. It wasn't raining but it was windy and the temperture dropped alot.

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-15-2005, 12:50 PM
I love watching thudnerstorms!!:) We don't get them a whole lot here, but when they do come, it's SO much fun to watch them, then go curl up and read for a while! lol:D

lizbud
08-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Rain, yes, thunderstorms, no.:) After checking to see if all
windows are closed, I usually just sit & read, play a game with
the dogs or take a nap until they are over.

dukedogsmom
08-15-2005, 07:14 PM
We get tons of thunderstorms. My answer wasn't there. I enjoy listening to the thunder but not lightning. I do stay away from the windows because when I was a teen, we had lightning travel through our front window to our back one. I didn't even know it could do that before that happened. Very scary.

manda_moo87
08-15-2005, 07:35 PM
They terrify me... always have, no idea why. I usually hide under my pillows... :p

RICHARD
08-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Perfect timing....

We had a t-storm blow thru here last night...rare for the area..

I saw the lights in my mom's house on so I went next door.....

She was folding clothes like no body's business.

I took a look outside and watched for a while. It reminded me of the Space Shuttle sonic boom....not as concentrated tho.....:D

todd
08-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Get nervous, and stay away from windows

cocker_luva
08-15-2005, 09:08 PM
it usually thunderstorms at night here; i usually dont hear it, but if i do i just curl up in my blanket more and roll over and go back to sleep. ;) :D

Pam
08-15-2005, 09:22 PM
We are all storm watchers here. Hubby frequently sits on the front porch to watch and I usually stay inside with the animals, although the storm doesn't really bother any of them. In fact when there is a loud thunder clap Ripley starts barking and then Bella joins in. :rolleyes:

What I am afraid of is high winds. We have woods behind us with lots and lots of tall trees and some of them are very old. During a storm about a year ago I went outside after the rain was over and watched a tree deeper in the woods fall over. It shook the ground I was standing on when it hit the ground. I just worry about a tree falling on my house. :eek:

Chica
08-15-2005, 09:31 PM
The storms don't scare me and chica as long as there is no damage to the house! :) If I am safe inside the house, the storm is kind of a thrill.;)

Killearn Kitties
08-16-2005, 03:52 AM
I love watching thunderstorms, but we hardly ever get them here.

Randi, I love doing what you described, sitting in a restaurant/cafe on holiday, watching a storm coming and washing through. Everything feels so clean afterwards!

crsvstang
08-16-2005, 10:48 AM
I love to watch thunderstorms, I try get out on the front porch and watch them if I can. If not I stay in the house and watch or just listen.

sandragonfly
08-16-2005, 10:55 AM
and I'd watch as a kid!!

I get too excited and would go as close as I could.

I remember one night, (age 8 I think), I was sleeping. around at midnight, I saw flashings out of my eyelids, I knew what it was so I ran to take a high stool out of my father's closet and aside it by the window. I watched them as they go all night/morning! I only could see twisting leaves and sweeped sticks in lightings. I never wanted to go back sleep. what's most fun? there was a pretty big spider in the corner of the window and she just started her webcob. I kept on glancing at her and thunders. I was worried if spider and her home would get blow off by a storm but no. it sways and had a lot of droplets on it. by the time sun came in the sky, she finished her huge webhome!! :eek: I loved it!! :)

on way back to california from utah, I saw them again! I'd rather see them than having ribs pain! :D I'm serious. I wish california do thunders. :confused:

joycenalex
08-16-2005, 08:48 PM
i enjoy watching t-storms. once camping, in a old heavy canvas tent, i was totally dry and warm, the poor kid in the tent next to us was terrified and was wailing and screaming. he, likely spent a fortune on therapy for that fear.
alex the wonder dog is neutral on storms, mojo the momcat loves the flashing and will squeeze into the windows to watch and sweet angel duke was very scared, so for him i used melatonin, loud music and a peanut butter filled kong..

abbersmom
08-16-2005, 08:56 PM
This is right up my alley, altho none of the answers were fitting for me...
I am fascinated by storms...& for the past 5 years have been a trained weather spotter on the local civil defense team. Hubby & I are out sitting on a hill on the edge of town, overlooking the town, watching & reporting the storm movement...we stay in place until one of 2 things happens...the storm passes through with minimal danger to the people OR we need to take cover after the siren blows in town...we stay in contact with the command center & other spotters by radio...
It can be awesome...and it can be boring...but as long as the threat is there...we are out there!!

sandragonfly
08-16-2005, 08:59 PM
karen...guess we're normal after all! :D :)

Suki Wingy
08-16-2005, 09:01 PM
There is nothing more perfect than a thunderstorem except an overcast thunderstorm! I love to take NiƱo out and play in it, to feel the wetness seep into me, to feel the shivers it brings. I love how we get to be alone, alone in the sweet, sweet rain. No people running or shouting or getting in my way. I do the best thinking then, and retain my poetry and imagery long enough to go home and write it down. I consider thunderstorms a gift to me. I think it was Trev who said it has something to do with the electrode count or something that makes some people nervous and some exited. When I see people all crunched up in the rain I laugh because it is like they think tensing up their body and bending over will keep them dry or something!

Kfamr
08-17-2005, 01:27 AM
As of the moment I have a love/hate relationship with thunderstorms. I've been up since 1:30am because of a VERY loud thunder & lightning storm. I did go out on our front porch and watched it for a few minutes, although there was nothing to see besides a strobe light-like effect. It's just now calming down, thankfully..

I am generally fascinated by storms, although as most know down here they can get REALLY icky. It's still generally a love/hate relationship because Nala and Kiara get scared and I don't like seeing them like that.

finn's mom
08-17-2005, 01:34 AM
I love watching lightning and rain. Nature is so mesmerizing, I like feeling tiny. It's nice to sometimes feel very small. Thunder is cool, and, rain is awesome. I sit outside under our patio umbrella with a blanket during storms. Finn's not bothered at all by them, and, of course, anything to do with water, he's in. ;)

grybai
08-17-2005, 02:03 AM
Here in the desert of Arizona we have amazing thunderstorms in the afternoons in late summer (so like right now!:)). The monsoons hit, brilliant lightning and thunder that makes the whole house shake and less than an hour later the sky clears and the land is flooded. It's so beautiful, I love watching it.