PDA

View Full Version : To the vet or not to the vet??

furrykidsmother
08-14-2005, 03:29 PM
After reading some threads here on PT, hearing some bad things about vaccinations (having our own problems with the interaction last year) and the vet not being able to diagnose Gidget's problem back in May (she had Pyometra and it took 3 vet visits to finally diagnose it and that was after I got help here at PT, my husband isn't sure we should even take the kids to the vet for shots or check ups. I disagree and feel that they should be examined and get shots, but after reading about the Baytril thread of Mommyof3Cats and my own experiences of late, I am tending to agree with him. They are all indoor kitties and seem to be healthier when we don't take them to the vet. I have never been warned of any side effects of any meds they have taken!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Karen
08-14-2005, 03:48 PM
I would research vets in your area, and find one you trust. Annual check-ups are a good thing, and can diagnose and treat some things before them become problematic and symptomatic.

catnapper
08-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Depends... they need a rabies vac. by law. Other than that, its personal preference. I updated al my guys, simply because of all the fosters that mingle with them. If I didn't foster, I might think twice about the basic shots because they are not outside to become exposed to the illness. Even one of the head honchoes with the rescue does not vaccinate her cats except for rabies (though we will use it as a reason for not adopting a cat to someone who we have "iffy" feelings about)

Laura's Babies
08-14-2005, 04:29 PM
It does make you wonder, don't it..... I have considered a lot of times to pass on the updating of the shots since it makes them feel so bad but I am afraid that in this hurricane prone area, if a window got broke and they escaped, they would need that protection outside. The rabies shot, they need to be legal just about everywhere...

BUT.... I am going to start questioning them about any medicines from now on and possiable side effects. Amy, I am extra peotective of anyway.

catmandu
08-14-2005, 05:07 PM
I HAVE,THE VET COME,AND SEE THE FOUND CATS,WHEN HE VACCINATES THEM,AS HE,IS MUCH BETTER,AT GIVING THEM,THAT YEARLY CHECK UP,THAT THEY NEED,TO SEE,IF ANYTHING,IS WRONG,WITH THIER TEETH,ETC.
I TRUST DR MARSALES,AND I HAVE FOUND MY VET,FROM NOW ON.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture626.jpg

kuhio98
08-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Our vet believes that pets are over vaccinated. He has been willing to work with us on this. Since my kitties are allowed outside and have on rare occasion come in contact with our neighbor's cat, I have them vaccinated for their own protection. The rabies shot is required by law here also. Halo's immune system will not tolerate the shot and she we almost lost her twice when her fever spiked and she went into convusions after getting the shot. She will not be getting another one. We're 100% certain she'll get sick if she gets the shot and we're almost 100% sure she'll never come in contact with a rabid animal.

Craftlady
08-14-2005, 05:18 PM
I agree to research of finding another vet.
Your experience with this current one hasnt been a positive.
For shots we have rabies (by law) and boosters only. I feel our felines need to be examined once a year for a good once over :)

Glacier
08-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Find a vet you trust and talk to them about what your cats need.

Personally, I don't vaccinate for my cats for anything anymore. They all had their shots brought up to date when they first got here and once after that. They don't go outside and they have no contact with other cats. Rabies is not required here for cats. I take them to the vet whenever I think they need to go. I've talked to my vet about this and he's comfortable with me deciding when they need to come in. I'm a little obsessive anyway so if I have the tiniest feeling that something is wrong, they get checked out.

Lightning SuperCat
08-15-2005, 06:51 AM
We found a great vet for Lightning, and he gets a check-up every year. He really only gets about two shots a year, so there's nothing wrong that we know about that.

sirrahbed
08-15-2005, 06:58 AM
Rabies is not required where we live and my vet only gives the basic shots - none of the new things (FIP maybe??) - but now I am wondering if they needs shots at all. When I still had my geriatrics - RB Bert was so terrified of vets that he would faint:eek: My vet told me I could just skip shots at that point to avoid the stress. I will have to give this more thought because I would also rather just bring them in if something is wrong.

furrykidsmother
08-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and advice. It is so hard to decide what is right for our furbabies. I am not sure who gets more traumatized when we go to the vet, me or them! Will have to do some research and give it considerable thought!

Thanks again everyone!

furrykidsmother
08-15-2005, 09:37 AM
One more thing I had forgotten about:mad: :mad: :mad: ! Both days that I had to leave Gidget so they could evaluate her they had me sign a form and on it, it stated "What number can you be reached at today"? Both times, in big numbers I wrote my work number. I was getting nervous because I hadn't heard anything, so I checked our answering machine at home and found they had left a message. The next day same thing only it was a message on my voice mail for my cell phone. Why did they ask where I could be reached if they had no intention of calling me there. Really makes me wonder about the care that our animals receive!!!

K & L
08-15-2005, 10:39 AM
I think the first set of shots is the most crucial. There are many diseases such as panleukopenia that can be virtually eliminated by appropriately vaccinating. Even though your cat is indoor only, what if it escapes? Or there could be a natural disaster that may let your cat out of the house. Mice, fleas, and other insects can cause diseases. Therefore if you get a new kitten/cat I feel it is important to make sure they have at least their first series of shots. If you travel or even have your cat groomed a rabies shot may be a necessity.

Also even though some have had a bad experience with a vet, there are vets out there that are wonderful. I would never hesitate to get my cat to one if I had any question or felt something was wrong.

furrykidsmother
08-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Our "kids" are 5 & 6 years old. They have always had shots and do get the required Rabies shot, but the first 2, Rusty & Fluffy are do for exams and Distemper (we take 2 at a time, it is usually easier that way) the end of August, I know vaccinations last longer than a year so it isn't an immediate rush to get them in and I always rush them in if I feel something is or could be a problem, hence Gidget's emergency visit to the vet 20 miles away at 3:30 a.m. at a cost of $80.00 to have them look at her, take her temp, feel her belly and tell me she had a UTI! I guess that is what I really haven't gotten over. I want them to be healthy, but the general care we/they have received isn't great. Last year they didn't warn me the 2 shots together (rabies/distemper) could cause a reaction, never warned me of any side affects of any medications I have ever given them, never called me at the right number etc., etc. Sorry, I guess I am venting. Not to mention that my RB Kitty, Tasha had to be put to sleep because she had cancer and recent studies show that it can be caused by repeatedly injecting vaccinations in the same area.

I do appreciate everyones advice and thanks for listening to me!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-15-2005, 05:00 PM
I know some people may not agree with this, but Tubby and Peanut got their shots when they were kittens and then before I moved them to Chicago, but other than that, I never took them to the vet for shots or for anything. They were both completely healthy and there was no reason for me to think otherwise, so I just never took them. Most of the time I was kind of broke too, which I'm sure helped fuel the decision at the time, but I know that had something been wrong, they would have been to the vet in a heart beat.

When Tubby was 15 1/2, I felt he was throwing up too much so I figured it was time to see the vet, and also time for a good check-up since he was getting old. The did discover that he was in the beginning stages of kidney failure, so it was a good thing I took him, but like I say, I could sense something was wrong because of all the throwing up. After that he was at the vet every 6 months for blood work to monitor the kidney failure - at over $200.00 a crack - so even though he visited a vet so infrequently when he was younger, I never felt he was neglected.

As for Peanut, she is so healthy for her age it's ridiculous, so I don't feel she has been neglected healthwise either, and she is scared to death of going to the vet, so I figure in the long run she's better off because of all the trauma she was spared through the years.

I do believe kittens need to go through the various shot stages, but once they're through that - and they're strictly indoors only - I just don't see the need to vaccinate every single year. My current vet agrees because he has not once pushed any vaccinations on me.

Anyway, like I say, some people swear by the annual check up and complete vaccinations - I'm just not one of them.

AlleyCat
08-15-2005, 10:14 PM
I have been hearing the same thing for years that pets are over-vaccinated, especially indoor cats. What I've done is get all our kitties' FIRST shots which I do think is very important, and then I have let the time in between vaccinations grow longer and longer apart. We do have friends that have cats and I worry about what THEIR cats may have and give to our indoor cats when they visit so I feel like I still need to protect ours.

We learned a valuable lesson this week about side effects, so we will be much more careful from now on and ask for more information. I think that's what anyone needs to do and make an informed decision about whether to vaccinate or give meds and go with their gut feeling.