PDA

View Full Version : New blood test to save dogs lives

ChrisH
08-14-2005, 11:40 AM
New blood test to save dog lives

Dogs can now have their blood type tested, potentially saving thousands of canine lives, Australian vets at the University of Melbourne have said. Currently, dogs can only have one blood transfusion in their lives because of the risk of a harmful immune reaction. But soon it will be possible to administer blood of the right type, just as it is in humans, preventing life-threatening rejection in dogs.
The researchers say the findings will "revolutionise dog treatment".

Lifesaving treatment

Ian Walker, of the University of Melbourne, said the research was the first of its kind and had the potential to transform canine veterinary practice, particularly in emergency clinics.
Professor Walker said that unlike humans, there is currently no easy, reliable way to determine a dog's blood type.
This means they are at great risk of rejecting blood given to them if they have to receive more than one transfusion.

In other words, if a dog which has previously had a transfusion is hit by a car, the second transfusion - rather than being lifesaving - is likely to kill them.

The new research, which was carried out by PhD student Kate Hsuen-Wen Chang, used genetically engineered antibodies to identify different canine blood types.
Professor Walker said: "In an emergency clinic, having a readily available way of testing blood types would benefit hundreds of dogs a year."

BBC news
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4142576.stm

lizbud
08-14-2005, 05:45 PM
I didn't know that dogs had different blood types. It makes
perfect sense, but I guess I'd never thought about it before.
This should really save my dogs lives after accidents or illness.
It's also pretty neat that it was a woman Doctor who made this
possible.:)

jesse_3
08-14-2005, 11:29 PM
I knew that there were different blood types actually. I just didn't know that they could only have one tranfusions!

I know that I am O positive, it would be neat to find out what Jesse is (Are they like people blood types, or how does that work?)

Steph and Jes