PDA

View Full Version : Bunny Bizkit Recipe

zippy-kat
03-02-2002, 01:50 AM
This recipe came to us from our friends "North of the Border". Brenda Plaxton, the kitchen whiz who invented it, lives on Salt Spring Island in British Columbia, Canada. Brenda originally created these treats for her own buns, Finnegan, Fiona, and Satchmo (her border collie, Brodie, rather likes the biscuits, too!). Brenda shared her own recipe with another Salt Spring Island rabbit lover, Libby Hughes-Klokeid, who then sent it to us.

Remember, these are treats, so give them sparingly.

1 small carrot, pureed
1/2 banana, mashed until really creamy
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup rabbit pellets, ground finely in a coffee grinder
1/4 cup whole wheat flour

Mix pureed carrot, banana and honey in a medium bowl. Add pellet powder and whole wheat flour. Mix until blended. Knead in your hands for 1-2 minutes. Roll out the "dough" in 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick layers between sheets of plastic wrap. Cut into small cookies (about 3/4 inch across). Place cut shapes onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes (check to make sure they are not browning too much). Turn off the heat and let the cookies sit in the warm oven for an hour or so.

Brenda adds: Next time, I am going to try finely ground rolled oats in place of the flour. I am sure that lots of other changes could be made, and these would still work. For example you could replace the carrot with apple or pear.

Bunnicula05
03-02-2002, 09:29 AM
It sounds easy enough........................my buns are kind of picky.......but I'm sure they'll like it.

Heather Wallace
03-02-2002, 03:54 PM
Zippy thanks for the tips, I will print this out and try it some time, will kepp you posted of the reaction from the family of rabbits living in my spare room.

Bunny goes for her op on Wednesday!

Bunnicula05
03-02-2002, 04:48 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heather! That picture is sooooooooooooooooooo sweet, cute, etc! I like the black and white one and the white and brown one........hehehehehe. I noticed that the momma is lop-eared and the babies aren't...was their dad a regular-eared rabbit? Nevertheless they are STILL cute as heck!

Heather Wallace
03-03-2002, 07:09 AM
Thanks Bunnicula, I love this photo to, they where only 2 weeks old then , they are now 3 and a half months old now. The mum is lop and the dad was just like a mongrel rabbit, so yes that's why they don't have lopped ears.

But did you know it can take up to 12 weeks for a rabbits ears to lop anyway, since that photo was taken Twinkle, one of the male rabbis ears has lopped. Cool, he is cute, I will post a photo when I get some to show you.

Also since this photo two of the brown ones have homes and the black and white one is awaiting a new home.He's still with Barbara the lady who owns the pet stall. I saw him the other day, he is fine.

The other three will probably stay with me and of course mum Bunny. If I can find a good home for the black one he will also go, but I am in no rush right now to find him a home.

Here is another photo of the rabbits.