PDA

View Full Version : Heat stroke

catnapper
08-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Any of you ever have it? I think I got a touch of it today.

We went to the PA Renaissance Faire. Got there around 9:30, it was already 92 degrees at that time. When we left at 2:00-ish, I was faint, headachy, and slightly sunburnt. Grant said I look like a walking zombie and we left only because I didn't look well. He wanted to stop for icecream on the way home, and I thought he was nuts... food? I had no appetite, no inteterest in anything but laying down with a cool compress.

All afternoon I've had a hideous headache that aspirin and Advil haven't touched. Its not a migraine, so I haven't taken a migraine pill. Even hours and hours later, I still feel headachy, but closer to normal and I'm wondering if I did have a slight case of heat stroke.

We did reach over 97 degress today and had a bad humidity level. Heat advisories were in effect. Being out in the sun, walking around all day probably wasn't too smart... but it was fun and I enjoyed myself regardless.

Uabassoon
08-13-2005, 10:05 PM
I've never had heat stroke but I have had heat exhaustion before (I think everyone that lives in Az gets it at one time or another!). Heat stroke is something very serious, just as serious as any other stroke it can cause seizures and even lead to brain damage if it severe enough.

My dad had a heat stroke was, it was scary to watch. He just passed out and was unconscious, we had to call an ambulance to pick him up.

When I first moved out here for college I remember seeing posters everywhere in the dorms about heat exhaustion/stroke. At first I thought it was silly, but then I realized how important knowing about it was when you live in the desert. Always remember to drink plenty of water, if you start to feel thirtsy that means you are already dehydrated!

If you haven't been drinking water since you got home you should start drinking, make sure it's cool but not cold as it will cause a shock to your system. From what you describe it sounds like you might still be dehydrated.

catnapper
08-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Been drinking cool iced tea all night... and come to think of it, not going to the bathroom as usual. I probably was nice and dehydrated.

Nomilynn
08-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Tea has caffine in it and won't do anything to hydrate you - for every tea you drink you should drink 2x the water to even it out. My friend is an RN and explained this to me when I was getting leg cramps at night.

smokey the elder
08-14-2005, 07:17 AM
That sounds like heat exhaustion. From many years at Pennsic I learned to recognize it. One day in the first aid tent all I got was heat stuff and one ankle cut. Remedies: get in the shade or better yet AC if possible, get into a COOL (not cold) shower; pack wet cloths on head and under arms (helps cool core in a hurry) and drink tepid water. The headache is probably from dehydration. Half strength Gatorade, tepid, went down really well for the folks, too.

Heat stroke is extremely dangerous! You stop sweating and your body starts to cook. This is what happened to Vikings nose tackle Korey Stringer.

joycenalex
08-14-2005, 07:30 AM
hope you're feeling better today. drink extra fluid to replace what you lost yesterday, and stay near a fan, it's still supposed to be warm and humid

jenluckenbach
08-14-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
Tea has caffine in it and won't do anything to hydrate you - for every tea you drink you should drink 2x the water to even it out. My friend is an RN and explained this to me when I was getting leg cramps at night.
I didn't know that about tea. (the part where it will NOT hydrate you) I drink decafeinated iced tea, is that OK of hydrating?

Sorry to get onto that subject, but I am curious now.

Hope you feel better soon. And start drinking that water!

lizbud
08-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Sounds like heat exhaustion. Drinks with caffeine act as a
diuretic & are not the best for rehydrating. Water is better.

micki76
08-14-2005, 10:32 AM
I think you just had heat exhaustion and were dehydrated.

I had heat stroke once and it was horrible. I passed out and woke in an ambulance with ice packs all over me and an IV. It was not fun and I as quite ill and in the hospital for the night.

I felt sick for days after, and am a lot more careful in the heat now.

Hope you’re feeling better!

Craftlady
08-14-2005, 10:56 AM
I would drink items like Gator Aid or simular products (sports drinks) they have the elecrial lites in them needed to replenish for hydration. Personally I would not relay on decafe tea products to hydrate when your dehydrated. Next sest thing is water and plenty of it.

During this extreme heat we (hubby and I) always have a bottled water with us. Going to events where we are out in the open on concrete/asphalt that radiates heat it's a must for us to have a bottled water with us.

There are allot of neat handy insulated containers that you can fill up with ice and your favorite beverage strap it to a belt buckle or carry it like a purse. I have one that the center is put in the freezer and stays frozen for a very long time when it's in the containter.

I agree on the heat exhaustion. Heat stroke you would of been way sicker and ended up in an ER.

Nomilynn
08-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Decalf drinks are considered ok as long as you only rely on it for half or less of your daily fluids. For example, I love pop and so does my nursey friend - she always makes sure to buy decalf diet pops and for every can she drinks she has a glass of water also.

Honestly the best thing to rehydrate is good ole' water. Gatorade and that kind of thing has a lot of sugar in it :)

catnapper
08-14-2005, 12:27 PM
I drank so much water I was going to burst then returned to tea.

I feel better today, at least my headache is gone... but then again I got up at 4:30 AM to take a Vicodin to knock out the pain. It worked ;) though I woke up feeling mighty drugged. (I only take Vicodin maybe once a year.... for headaches so bad I can't stand it.)

katienoonan
08-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Last Sunday I mowed the lawn and the heat index was well over 100 degrees. I was so exhausted after I was done and I was very dehydrated so I drank plenty of fluids and sat in front of the fan for a while. I also played Softball Tuesday in the same weather. The whole next day I felt ill. It doesn't sound like a heat stroke for you either really.(thank goodness)

Randi
08-14-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm glad you're feeling better. :) Stay in the shade, or wear a hat! ;) .... and let us see the picture. :D

When people are told to drink 2-3 liters of liquid a day, I've heard that only water, soda water, limonade and milk counts (perhaps a few more kinds of drinks), but not tea, coffee or beer. :eek:

I had a heat "stroke" once, many years ago, I felt dizzy, nauseaous? and real shitty!

dogzr#1
08-14-2005, 04:16 PM
One time I had heat exhaustion. I got fever and felt really bad. I drank nothing but water and orange juice (for the fever) all the next day. I was outside all day for a feel trip, since it was the beginning of summer the heat index was around 110- 115. I feel sorry for the people who live in Arizona.:(