PDA

View Full Version : Any info. on Cockateils????

Zany_girlie
08-13-2005, 08:53 PM
I have really been itching to get a cockateil and if i get one i would like to know everthing possible about them! Thta way he/she will live a long happy life!!:) So any information that you could provide would be helpful. Thanks.

And sorry, i really should have posted this in pet general but i thought that more people would see it here so sorry.

new mom to a veiled
08-13-2005, 11:18 PM
I have had Harley for 2 years and he is amazing!! I'm no expert but I know he is happy when he is with us. If you want your bird to be social try to get a hand fed baby or an older bird. I got Harley from a lady who couldn't look after him anymore. He has free roam of my room (about 250 sq feet) so he can fly around. He loves to come in the shower with us. Make sure your bird is in a dark room or covered at night. They like about 10 hrs of sleep time. In the morning when I open his cage he comes to our bed and runs around....Sorry I could go on and on about him. P/M me if you would like. http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/luvmypets/32cd124a.jpg

Giselle
08-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Hello there! I have a tiel on top of my budgie flock, so I know a bit about them :) Allow me to digress...

1) At what age and where should you acquire your new cockatiel?

First things first, there are basically two ways to raise a human-tame chick. 1) Is human hand-feeding. This can be done multiple ways, but basically, the chick is taken away from its parents and raised on a man-made formula. This formula is then fed to the chick by a human, reinforcing the idea that "Humans = Your Friend and Caretaker". 2) Is the method that I use and prefer. The chick is NOT handfed, but raised by its parents. However, from around Day 10, the chick is continually socialized with humans through gentle cuddling. From this point on, these chicks are tame and generally very very friendly towards humans. *Generally*, quality, handfed/handtame cockatiels can only be found through private breeders. You can find a multitude of private breeders through Up At Six and BirdsNWays (sorry, you'll have to Google these sites).

Ideally, any age is OK to acquire a cockatiel. Think of a tiel like a dog. If you get it from a good, private breeder, you'll get a clean slate to start on. However, you could also adopt an unwanted cockatiel who'll take a little more time to "mold", but the rewards will be tenfold.

2) What should I feed my cockatiel?

I honestly don't remember the exact percentages, but I think it should be something like:
50% Pellets (Lafeber, Harrisons, Zupreem, KayTee, etc. brands)
35% Seeds
15% Veggies and Fruits (I like to have more veggies than fruits)
and you should always include the occasional yogurt treat, egg biscuit, eggfood, and various supplements from time to time.

A MUST: You should keep a continuous supply of cuttlefish bone and mineral block clipped to the cage.

3) How do I tame/train my cockatiel?

This is a very lengthy subject, so I'll leave this to Mattie Sue Athan ;)
(I recommend this book for *every* first time bird owner)
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2c0EAxaB0Y&isbn=0764110306&itm=2

4) What kind of cage should I buy for my cockatiel?

The biggest one!:D Just be sure the cage is NOT round or cylandrical and the bar width is small enough so that your cockatiel won't get his/her head stuck in it. Also avoid "guillotine" style doors which you'd find on virtually every cage in a store like PetSmart. AVOID cages like this (notice the sliding, "guillotine" door)
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 8365&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025466&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023691&bmUID=1123996734053
Look for cages like this:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 8445&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025466&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023691&bmUID=1123996734052
Notice the clip to open the door

I don't remember the exact cage requirements, but make sure that you buy the largest cage you can afford. Generally, your cockatiel should be able to open his wings and his feathers should not touch the sides of the cage.

That should cover much of your questions. If not, PM me :) Good Luck!

Zany_girlie
08-14-2005, 09:11 AM
WOW!!!THanks for allt the info!!!!!!!!!! That sure helps me out alot!!!!!And the secondcage that you listed Giselle is one that i had been eyeing (sp), so i guess i was looking at the right thing.
New mom to a veiled you provided alot of needed info and what a great pic!!!!!!!!!! Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!:) :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

Logan
08-14-2005, 12:23 PM
My experience is that they are wonderfully entertaining, very messy (flinging food and water everywhere), lovers of attention (which I gladly provide), excellent parents if you have a breeding pair, and quite smart, too! :) We have a male and a female and he is much more talkative than she is. He knows some words and tunes. They did have hatch one clutch and have 3 babies last summer. What fun that was!

If I can offer up anymore assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Logan

chrissycat21
08-14-2005, 01:19 PM
I've had my cockatiel, Buttons, for almost a year and I'm still learning! (Wow, its already been almost a year!:eek: :) )

Like Logan said, they are VERY messy! Buttons' cage is about 4 feet away from my bed and am always finding seeds in it! He also tends to poop in his water, so I clean it out 2-4 times a day.

Cockatiels do need a lot of attention, but when they 'call' you over and beg to come out, who can resist?:p ;)

Good luck getting a tiel!

Zany_girlie
08-17-2005, 07:56 AM
I really cant wait till i get one!!!!:)