PDA

View Full Version : First Day At My Job...

manda_moo87
08-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Well, today was my first day at my new job (my very first job) and all I can say is I hate it. I know I shouldn't sound so negative and I've only been there one day but I really don't know what else to say. It stinks! :( Hopefully it'll get better... it was just so overwhelming... I couldn't believe how many dishes there were and how fast they were being brought to me. This lady kept telling me I was going too slow but I couldn't wash them any faster and people kept telling me I was doing things wrong. Argh.... I don't think I'm cut out to be a dishwasher. I sure hope things go better tomorrow....

Anways, I just needed to vent. I feel so crappy right now...

luvofallhorses
08-13-2005, 08:47 PM
:( Cheer up sweetie! ((hugs))

chocolatepuppy
08-13-2005, 08:54 PM
You'll get the hang of it! Believe me, I've worked in the same factory for almost 13 years and still get told I'm not doing something right all of the time! ;) Each day will get a little easier. After you've been there a week I bet you'll feel like you've been there forever! Just do the best you can and don't worry about it! :)

catnapper
08-13-2005, 09:30 PM
First days of any job are terrible. I worked in a restaurant as a washer... not fun. But you really do get up a rhythm and things go quickly.

Laura's Babies
08-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Don't give up!! And don't get discouraged either! It'll take you a few more days to get that "flow" going... Rhythm as some call it, but once you get that going, it'll get easier and easier for you. Each day, it'll get easier..

Forget how you learned to wash dishes at home! Working in a food service department is a whole different ball game. Are you hand washing in a sink or feeding the dishes through a dishwasher?

kittycats_delight
08-13-2005, 10:48 PM
I know the feeling. I did dishwashing for awhile and I hated it but it won't be long and you will get the hang of it and it will get better. I don't think it will every be a job anyone enjoys but it won't be so bad. Hang in there and keep your head held high. You are doing great !!!

manda_moo87
08-14-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks you all for the encouragement.... I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow. http://www.smilies4all.de/Traurig/37.gif

RobiLee
08-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Hang in there. It will get better. I'll be thinking about you today and hoping it is a much better day.

{{HUGS}}

joycenalex
08-14-2005, 07:31 AM
i washed dishes at big boy for 6 months, it's hot, hard, smelly work, good luck!

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-14-2005, 07:58 AM
Don't give up yet! This is all new to you, and you have to adjust. In a few days, you will be in the "routine" and happy!

sirrahbed
08-14-2005, 08:29 AM
aww:( First days at a new job are always horrible - no matter how many jobs you have had. In fact, I always feel like it takes a couple weeks or even a month to really feel like I am comfortable and confident. How could you know how fast to work on your very first day? Each day will get better!

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Oh that stinks Amanda!!:( I hope things get better!!!:)

manda_moo87
08-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks everyone...

Well today was a bit better. The morning was just as horrible as it was yesterday but one of the chef's helped me out A LOT. He's really nice, so I was even able to take a break for a while. They let me do a couple others things today instead of washing dishes the entire time. I got to sweep the floor, take out garbage and roll butter balls lol! The afternoon was rather enjoyable, washing the dishes is the only part I can't stand but most of the people who work their were really supportive and assured me it will get better! They also let me off an hour early today which was really nice... :)

sirrahbed
08-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi Amanda - I was checking back to see if you reported back on day2 and you have:) I am so glad to hear that it was a bit better. I don't imagine dishwashing will ever be anyone's "love it!!" job but good to hear that you are already doing other things to break up the day! YAY!!:D

PS that first paycheck will make the job seem instantly better!;)

Daisy and Delilah
08-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Starting any new job is always the pits!! Before you know it, you'll be as comfortable as can be. We're actually impressed that you returned for the second day. Sometimes it's not the easiest thing to do and not everyone would have done that. Hang in there:D

Terry, Daisy, and Delilah:)

jesse_3
08-14-2005, 06:43 PM
I am glad that your 2nd day of work was better:) I have not yet had a job (besides babysitting my sisters) so, I don't know what I will be getting myself into! lol!

I think that your 3rd day will be even better! good luck!

Steph and Jes

manda_moo87
08-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Thanks again everyone.

I'll let you all know how day 3 goes... :p

NoahsMommy
08-15-2005, 04:00 AM
Awww, I'm sorry your first day wasn't all that great, but glad your second went better.

Hope it just keeps getting better from now on.

Have a nice day! :)

Pawsitive Thinking
08-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Always takes a while to settle into a job - you'll soon be an old hand at it and be able to smile knowingly when someone else has to go through it!

JenBKR
08-15-2005, 01:49 PM
*Hugs* a new job is always so scary. It takes about a month or so before I usually feel comfortable. After that, it gets so much better. Good luck!

finn's mom
08-15-2005, 03:07 PM
I hope your third day is going better. Jobs are never easy to start out with. I remember my first job was at Arby's...oh my gosh, I stunk! It was horrible. But, by the time I had to leave (due to moving from the state), I was training people and really hated leaving. I loved that job. It was fun, and, never boring. But, the food industry isn't easy, but, it's worth it. Good luck, and, remember that who you are and what you do are not the same thing. ;) Something my dad told me recently that has really helped me a lot lately, in my search for the future. :)

Kfamr
08-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Sorry your first day didn't go so well... I hope it gets better. It takes a bit to get used to how you need to pace yourself.

I'm going on my second week at my very first job and i've loved it since day one. I'm lucky to know almost everyone of my co-workers personally and none of them have said anything but nice comments and told me i'm doing great.

I really hope it gets better for you and your co-workers learn how to teach and help you instead of put you down. That just makes the workplace miserable.

manda_moo87
08-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Well I've survived day 3. It was a bit easier than yesterday but not much... they kept me there an extra 40 minutes too, blah! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it once I've been there a bit longer. The staff keeps assuring me it WILL get better and that I got hired at their busiest time of year.

I also ran into an old friend of mine today too, I had no idea she worked there, she works in housekeeping though.

Luckily tomorrow is my last day of work for a few days, I work Sunday-Tuesday from 9am-3pm.

:p

finn's mom
08-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Glad you're feeling better about it! :)