PDA

View Full Version : does not know biting is wronge?

cali
08-13-2005, 04:35 PM
I am beginning to think that misty does not realize that biting is wronge, normally when she knows she did something wronge its obvious and she starts the whole "OMG I am soooo sorry" bit but today she got my thumb by mistake she only stopped when I screamed I pain and just sat there and smiled, not once since she even make the slightest gesture that she knows what she did was wronge! I am now out my right thumb(she hurt it pretty bad) I mean I have never really had a biting promlem with her as she has a very soft mouth and has never tried to bit hard so never needed corrected for it, I dont care if she bites with a soft mouth as she has always been careful to avoid injury, Imean she wont even bit another dog, she just puts on a show and usually holds a teddy up to the dog and bits the teddy, but I am begging to think that because she has never had a problem that she does not realize biting hard is wrong, and the only reason she does not bit hard is because she does not want too. I know it was just an accident but she is around kids a lot, and I want to make sure that she actually knows that biting hard is wronge, and is there anything I can do to ensure she learns that biting hard is NOT acceptable?

oh I should mention that by soft mouth I mean that she litterlly only touches you with her teeth.

bckrazy
08-13-2005, 11:55 PM
ughh. Nips can really hurt... thank gawd Gonzo is super-soft and dies if he ever accidentally nips me. When I first trained him to have a soft mouth, I used soft treats and held them between my fingers. He would have to gently nibble or lick the treat, and if he bit my fingers I jerked away and dramatically said *ouch*... with Misty, if she doesn't realize OUCH is bad, try saying WRONG. Wait for a while after she nips, then offer the treat. If she's gentle, she gets bits of it - if she bites, she gets no treat.

Also, if you haven't already, play tug with a rope to improve her bite inhibition. :) I hope she gets the idea!

LuckiLab03
08-14-2005, 12:40 AM
Riley had a really bad biting problem when she was a baby (not puppy nipping, but actual biting).. we just made a huge deal out of it, usually I would scream "OUCH!" and then I would bop her on the nose. That way she would know that she wasn't supposed to do it. Over time, I would just gasp really loudly whenever she bit me, and she would drop down on all fours because she knew she was going to get bopped on the nose. Now, whenever we're playing and she accidently nips me, she just automatically drops down to the ground and lays her head down, then licks me.

cali
08-14-2005, 12:41 AM
thanks I will try the treat thing, I do play bite inhibation games with her, but since she never had a problem its nothing but maintanace work kind of thing.

watching her go after Blair is hilarious, blair will get on her nerves and she goes psyco on him throws him to the ground snarling and just when it looks like she is going lay her lay her teeth on him, she grabs a teddy presses it againt him and bits the teddy..not really what you would expect to see in a dog fight :eek: lol

king2005
08-14-2005, 01:24 AM
I did the treat in the hand thing too. It worked great. Except he didn't understand the word no, or bad. So I flicked his nose & said don't bite. He picked up on it pretty quick, cause he really wanted the treat & hated his nose being flicked.

Edit: he was only a puppy then, thats why he didn't understand, no or bad.