PDA

View Full Version : problems

aligatorsadie
08-22-2000, 08:44 PM
Well, actually we have a few problems with our 'puppy'. We have 3 dogs, the first 2 are 5 and 6 yrs old. No problems there. But we have a 7 month old Great Pyranese/ Anatolian Shepherd mix. #1-she acts very hesitant almost scared. We have been her only owners and we love our dogs like our own kids, so we have NEVER been mean to her, is this a breed thing? She won't come to us when we call. #2-When we put a leash on her, she goes TOTALLY limp, dead weight, won't even lift her head, we have tried the 'treat' thing, praise thing, everything we know to do. Any suggestions?? #3-she has started chewing on the wood strips of my couch and the corners of my big area rug. I have tried hot pepper juice only to watch her and my other female lick it off. I bought a bottle of stuff that is supposed to stop that, but it looks like that was a wasted $17!! We usually are not here when she gets into her 'destructive' modes and they say it is not good to punish them well after the fact, that only teaches aggression. She has only started this chewing thing in the last couple of months, and yes, they have all kinds of bones and toys of their own. We just don't know what to do, any help out there???

dogncatluvr
08-22-2000, 10:08 PM
I do not have suggestions for all your problems http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif . For # 3, you said your pup was 7 months old, and the chewing started a couple of months ago. That sounds like a teething problem to me. I'd give your pup lots of cold stuff to chew on...ice cubes, a knotted facecloth soaked in water and then frozen, carrots, and then of course chew toys like rawhide, but supervise them when they have these!
Now, for the other 2 points, I have met a couple of Pyreneese/Collie crosses, and they were both very shy. One actually would not move in puppy classes for a number of weeks. Whether this is a breed thing, I really would not know for sure.