PDA

View Full Version : Two new books I bought.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-13-2005, 12:33 AM
Are they any good? I bought Uncle Tom's Cabin and Oliver Twist.

Another question, am I weird being the only 16 year old in my school to buy two old literature books? :(

kittycats_delight
08-13-2005, 12:54 AM
No you are not weird. There is nothing like classic literature. I applaud you for wanting to discover it. I wish more young people realized just what they are missing out on by paassing over classic literature.

I have nor read Uncle Tom's Cabin. I absoluted love Charles Dickens and Oliver Twist is amazing. If you get a chance you need to check out others by him. Great Expectations, Nicholas Nickleby and A Tale of Two Cities are my favorites by Dickens. Also, If you ever want suggestions I will be glad to give them. I simply adore classic literature.

Enjoy these pieces I know you will. :D

lady_zana
08-13-2005, 04:17 AM
I think it's great that a 16-year-old is reading classic lit! I was an English Major and a history major in college and was surprised by how many people hadn't read already what was assigned to us.

I really didn't like Uncle Tom's Cabin. It wasn't as historically accurate as people are led to believe. If you like Brit Lit, you will love Oliver Twist. You might be interested in David Copperfield by Dickens also. My favorite Brit Lit author is Oscar Wilde. If you are into poetry, check him out sometime.

My favorite literature is American literature. I love Mark Twain and William Falkuner. As I Lay Dying is a great book by him. Twain's The Prince and the Pauper and Huckleberry Finn are also among my favorites.

Sorry! I got off taking about my own favorites instead of yours; literature does that to me. If you ever need any other suggestions, let me know :)

Anita Cholaine
08-13-2005, 09:52 AM
It's fantastic, Megan! I'm 14 and I also love reading that kind of book... I have Uncle Tom's Cabin, so I think I'll start reading it!:D