PDA

View Full Version : Please help!

Addie
08-12-2005, 06:40 PM
I don't know what to do...my dog bob is a 13 year old golden and he has arthritis and cataracts real bad! I don't want to put him to sleep because my parents got him when i was born, and i love him very much, but i don't want him to suffer...what should i do? Oh...and he has a fat tumor on his side.

beeniesmom
08-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Hello Addie,

Sometimes we must do things that we don't want to if it's for the best of our loved ones. I'm not saying that you should have Bob put down but consider his situation objectivly.

If he is in severe pain, it would be better for him to not suffer anymore. If he's not in unmanageble pain, than you still have some good years with him. My poodle had a big tumor on her side for many years but that didn't keep her from living until she was 15.

What does your vet say?

Addie
08-13-2005, 04:35 PM
don't know what the vet said...but he has been getting around a little better...

dukedogsmom
08-13-2005, 07:14 PM
I hope the tumor has been checked by a vet. Duke is 12 and he has one. They are quite common in older dogs. Duke's is harmless. Also for the arthritis, there are plenty of options. You need to talk to both your parents and your vet. Unless the dog is in pain, he shouldn't be put to sleep just because he's old. Plenty of dogs can function well without seeing. They just need a little extra loving and attention is all.

mruffruff
08-13-2005, 08:12 PM
There are medications that can help with arthritis pain. Your vet can help you with that.

Please read the thread on cataracts in this section. They are not a death sentence either. And fatty tumors are common in older dogs. My 13 year old has had several removed, the last one a year ago. Some are small and don't need to be removed. It depends on where they are.

Please talk to your vet. He/she can tell you the best course of action to take.

Addie
08-14-2005, 12:25 PM
thanks guys!

Albea
08-16-2005, 10:35 AM
The best person to tell you what to do is the vet.
My 12 year old Golden also has arthritis. There are many medications that help: glucosamine/condroitin, organic flaxseed oil, Rimadyl, etc. Fatty tumors are very comon in older dogs, usually they are not dangerous and they don't need to be removed unless the vet becomes suspicious of the nature of the growth. All they have to do is feel the area and they know where to go from there. My dog had several removed because they had become too large, but they were all just fatty tissue.
Unless the pup is in unbearable pain, arthritis in not a reason to put a dog to sleep.
I hope you can find some help soon.

Addie
08-16-2005, 06:39 PM
thanks! That's really helpful!