PDA

View Full Version : Spraying

Addie
08-12-2005, 03:54 PM
How do you get a cat to stop spraying? He's fixed too!

lvpets2002
08-12-2005, 04:07 PM
:confused: mmmm I dont realy know. However I have all fixed girls & they dont spray.. I do think there is a spray you can get at the Vet's office or pet store for that.. Hope someone else can help you better with this matter..

kb2yjx
08-12-2005, 04:08 PM
HI! Have dealt with that problem.too. HOw old is your boy? How many other cats do you have? Is this an indoor cat? Maybe there are cats coming on to his turf. Anything new going on in your house? ANy new stressors?? I had one cat that would spray when he had a UTI, it was his was of letting me know that something was wrong. GOOD LUCK!

Addie
08-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Timmy is 5...and he just started doing it. He ran away and we got him back in january...and about 3 months after we got him back he started. he is the only cat we have had for about a year...we had a female cat and she got pregnanat and had 5 kittens, but 3 were given to friends and she and 1 kitten live on a farm...the other one died...it was the runt, her back legs were paralyzed and she has no tail...but they have been gone for a long time now. Nothing new...i got 2 hamsters and my brother is moving out soon, but he hates my brother, he would most likely rejoice in his leaving and bask in the sun in his empty room. Until my other brother moves into the room. uhhhh...we got a Aussie puppy...she really picks on him, but she is trained in basic obedience and when i say leave it she walks away from him...

rosethecopycat
08-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Spraying is territorial.
He wants certain places to smell like him. Cleaning the spots with chemical cleaners only makes him do it again, when he comes to the spot, and it doesn't smell like him.
Try FELIWAY diffuser, you can get them at Petsmart, but they are expensive. Or online at omahavaccine.com for a lot less $.

Feliway for Cats

Feliway mimics the friendly pheromone scent a cat produces in its cheeks. Cats never rub their cheeks on or around their litter boxes. When you spray Feliway on or near a place(s) they urinated or sprayed the cat will get the message

Feliway has been proven to be effective for:

* controlling urine spraying
* controlling urination outside of the litter box
* calming multi cat households
* ending or lessening fighting reducing cat's anxiety, stress, anger, fear
* deterring scratching of furniture

I hope this helps, and please try not to allow your females to become pregnant. ;)
It sounded like a partially sad outcome of her experience, and it can be avoided.
Please have all your pets fixed.
:)

kb2yjx
08-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Your poor fellow has had alot of stress heaped on him!! From the female, the kittens, your brother, and now the PUPPY!!! Is there any way you can keep puppy away from the cat??
I clean the sprayed areas with a dilute solution of water and bleach. Club soda has been recommended, but I never tried that. PLease do not use Lysol, it is toxic to cats! I agree 1000% with the post that said to SPAY and NEUTER, and I will add, keep indoors. The safest place for a cat to be!! GOOD LUCK!!

Addie
08-12-2005, 05:59 PM
thanks! I will try the feliway! or if i find something like it cheaper...