PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of going to the Vet

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-01-2002, 03:34 PM
Well, I'm off to take Tubby for his 6 month check-up. It was 6 months ago that the Vet first told me that he is in the early stages of kidney failure. I know this is kind of common in cats, and I guess I had the feeling something was wrong because he was throwing up so much. So now I get to see if he's maintaining and will be with me for many years to come, or if he's going down hill, and how fast.

I guess I'm a little worried because even when he was throwing up all the time, he still ate good. But this week I haven't had to fill the food bowls up since Tuesday, which is *very, very* unusual. With two of them eating out of the same bowl, I can't be sure that it's Tubby that's not eating, but the odds are that it's him because Peanut checked out perfect 6 months ago. He hasn't been sleeping with me as much this week either, but that could be because there's action outside to watch which is way more interesting than watching mom sleep. ;)

I just got done reading the posts about poor Murf last month and I couldn't help but think of what will happen when Tubby's time is up. He also is my first pet in adulthood, and he's been such a faithful buddy all these years, through thick and thin, always there with his unconditional love - or need for attention. ;) Sorry, I can't handle getting all mushy about it already. He's pretty much been is old self lately, so I have no reason besides the not eating to think anything is wrong with him.

So, wish us luck and I'll let you know on Monday how things went.

Former User
03-01-2002, 04:05 PM
Good luck!!!!

momoffuzzyfaces
03-01-2002, 04:21 PM
BEST OF LUCK FROM ME AND MY BUNCH, TOO!

K & L
03-01-2002, 04:43 PM
Good Luck! Was throwing up alot one of the signs? Boo & Bentley seem to throw up alot and it's not hairballs. Our other ones will do this on occasion but not as frequently as these two.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-01-2002, 08:03 PM
Yes, throwing up one the only sign. I guess I had heard that this is a common thing in older cats, and that throwing up was one of the signs, so that's why I took him in to get checked out the first time. I thought at first it was just hairballs because he has dandruff and looses a lot of hair. Peanut has longer hair, and she looses less than Tubby with his short hair. Put pretty soon he was throwing up everything - treats, food, anything and everything that he ate - with little to no hair, so I thought there might be a problem. I also knew he was getting older - which never helps anything.

I guess I'd have to say that Boo and Bentley are kind of young for kidney failure since it's more common in older cats, but I've heard of some cats as young as 7 getting it, so it wouldn't hurt to have them checked out. I think throwing up occassionally is kind of common, but anything more often than that should probably be checked out, especially since they are rescue kitties.

Oh, BTW, everything went fine today. Tubby likes getting out now and then. :) The Vet is going to call tomorrow with the results of his test. I thought he had actually gained weight since last time we were there, but it turns out he's lost .3 lbs. Not a lot, but still I was thinking he'd gained.

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-01-2002, 08:18 PM
Aww VERY GOOD LUCK. I hope everythig turns out good.

wolflady
03-01-2002, 10:43 PM
**hugs** I'll be thinking about you and your baby! I hope everything checks out ok at the vets. Do let us know how it goes!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-02-2002, 10:07 AM
Well, I just got off the phone with the Vet, and he says everything looks good! :) I guess there are two things they check to see if the kidneys are functioning properly. At Tubby's last visit, they were both elevated. This time, one is still elevated, but it is at the same level as before (it's not any worse) and the other one has gone back down to a normal level (better than before). And he says the one that's elevated is only slightly elevated, so he's not that concerned about it. As long as I keep giving him the 1/4 of a pecid everyday, the Tubster should be fine. He does want me to continue bringing him back every 6 months though, to keep an eye on things. It's like most everything that the earlier they catch it, the more they can do about it.

Thanks so much to everyone for all your well wishes! :) It really makes a difference knowing other people care - even though we don't really even know each other. You're a great group! :) :)

Logan
03-02-2002, 10:11 AM
That is good news. Hope he will continue to thrive under your loving care. :)

Former User
03-02-2002, 10:26 AM
Hey, that's nice to hear that he hasn't gone worse, but better! Way to go Tubby! :)

lynnestankard
03-02-2002, 01:21 PM
OH WELL DONE TUBBY xxxxxxx

Lynne

sammi
03-02-2002, 03:13 PM
Good to hear things are doing ok!!;)

sasvermont
03-02-2002, 03:22 PM
Way to go The Tubster!:cool:

tatsxxx11
03-02-2002, 06:03 PM
I am ssssssooooooooooooo relieved! Bless you precious Tubby!!! Still, we will keep Tubby on our nightly prayer list!!! Hugs and kisses to you Tubby from Sandra, Mr. B., and Oliver

momoffuzzyfaces
03-02-2002, 06:43 PM
What wonderful news, Tubby. :cool:

K & L
03-03-2002, 07:06 AM
What a relief and good news! We're calling the vet today on Boo. She seems to be throwing up daily and it's not hairballs. I don't know if she's gourging herself only to throw it up later (cats rescued from the wild tend to do this for sometime until they realize food is provided on a regular basis) or if there is a problem with her. I did feed her a very small amount this morning to see if that may be the problem.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-03-2002, 05:37 PM
Let us know what the Vet says, K & L. It would be interesting to know why a younger cat would be throwing up, or if a young cat is also susceptible to kidney failure.

Gio
03-04-2002, 04:29 AM
I only saw this post today. I'm pleased that there is nothing seriously wrong with Tubby.

AmberLee
03-13-2002, 09:55 PM
GREAT NEWS for the Tubster!!! Well done, Tubby! Your parents must be so relieved.