PDA

View Full Version : Do you burn easily?

slleipnir
08-12-2005, 02:06 PM
I do if I'm out in the sun long enough with no sunscreen. I was out gardening with mom on wednesday and I forgot to put sunscreen on (figured I wouldn't be out long anyway) but my back got a burn...and stupid me did the SAME thing today..only I wasn't out as long..but I think I burnt the burn :confused: Oh well, learn for next time, eh? :rolleyes: I barely tan too..mostly it turns to freckles

What about you? Does it turn to a tan? Or do you not tan?

I'm also not the type to lay out in the sun purposefully to get a "tan"...then agian I don't really tan ANYWAY..:p

kittycats_delight
08-12-2005, 02:14 PM
I burn very quickly and very badly. This happened when I went on insulin for my diabetes. I used to burn before but it wasn't bad and it would take awhile and also it would turn brown. Now I burn, blister, peel and I'm white as the snow again.

cali
08-12-2005, 02:16 PM
I burn easily and I cannot tan, and my skin is very white with a pink tinge, without the pink I would look like a ghost lol its not fun having people walk up to you and compare there skin to yours and they walk away feeling better that their skin is not as pale as mine :o (unfortinatly this actually happens lol)

Zany_girlie
08-12-2005, 02:50 PM
No i dont really burn the only thing that occasionally burns is my face and yeah i tan really well.:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-12-2005, 02:50 PM
I cannot stay in the sun for longer than 15 minutes without getting burnt :mad: .The doc says I am allergic to sunrays, because I usually get this red itchy rash everywhere. The only way I can "survive" in the sunshine, is with a "total-sun-blocker" :rolleyes: . Of course, with that on, it is even more impossible to get a tan :mad:

I have a very light complexion, which is rather unusual for someone with dark brown hair :confused: . To make it even more complicated, I have blue eyes!! Weird hey :cool: :(

luvofallhorses
08-12-2005, 02:51 PM
I do sometimes..sometimes I am dumb and don't wear sunscreen :rolleyes: :o I peel quickly when I burn :rolleyes:

grybai
08-12-2005, 02:59 PM
My mom teases my albino white legs whenever she sees me in skirts. Humph! Although I'm not an albino, my skin's pretty fair and burns like nuts without sunscreen. I might get a tan after a really bad burn has subsided, but it never lasts very long.

slick
08-12-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm not a sunworshiper at a all and avoid it at all costs. I even burn with SPF 45 on so now I use a total sunblock just like Debbie.

Pam
08-12-2005, 03:06 PM
I burn too and have avoided the sun 100% since having a little basal cell carcinoma removed from my arm. It was from a bad burn as a child and appeared on my arm as an adult. A word of caution to all who lay out in the sun for that beautiful tan - you may be sorry in later years. That is straight from the mouth of my dermatologist. :(

DJFyrewolf36
08-12-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm lucky...I tan very nicely just being outside doing day to day things. My arms tan just from driving during the daytime. I'm shy about my legs though. They never see the sun :p . I have to be very careful with my back too, as too much sun is really bad for my tattoo.

My poor husband on the other hand is a ghost lol. Any ammount of sun without total sun blocker will burn him very badly and I always hound him about putting on sunscreen.

catnapper
08-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Yup. I used to tan beautifully... but now that I'm older I burn at the drop of a hat.

Thanks for the reminder - we're going to the Renaissance Faire tomorrow and I'd have totally forgotten about sunscreen. I never do outdoor activities.... skin cancer runs rampant in my family so I avoid the sun like a vampire.

lvpets2002
08-12-2005, 03:15 PM
:cool: No I dont burn in the sun & I guess it is due I am German/French combo. But I have always did well in the sun..

Suki Wingy
08-12-2005, 03:17 PM
no, I don't get very dark either. I have only been burned a few times and not seriously.

joanofark
08-12-2005, 03:24 PM
The only thing that does it my face! I hate that too! Other than that- I can get really dark!:rolleyes:

slleipnir
08-12-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm totally regretting not putting anything on...then again I can't reach my back anyway...but I can barely put anything on it...like laying down in bed kills me. I haven't been burnt this bad since I was a little kid. This year is also the first time i've burnt since I was younger. I use to always wear t-shirts or long sleeve things, but I;ve been wearing tank tops and such. I usually don't go out in the sun as much as I have been this year either

cocker_luva
08-12-2005, 04:19 PM
i can tan/burn easy. theres a fine line for me.

katienoonan
08-12-2005, 04:27 PM
I've only been burned once in my life. It was only on my nose. I worked at a pool for three summers. I have that nice Italian skin though lol.

jazzcat
08-12-2005, 05:03 PM
I tan easily but can burn if not careful. I am guilty of getting too much sun and rarely if ever wear sunscreen except on my face since it's in my moisturizer. I know, I'll pay for it sooner or later.

swimma253
08-12-2005, 05:17 PM
I dont really burn. Mostly just tan, but if I burn it turns into tan. :) Makes my life a whole lot easier. :p

CalliesMom
08-12-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm so pale I literally glow in the dark if I'm wearing shorts. My SIL always has to remind me that I look like I'm dead. :rolleyes: I just can't tan and prefer the "ivory" look.

jennifert9
08-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your painful burn Audrey. Take a vinegar bath and some plain aspirin, it really helps. I know the vinegar bath sounds like it will hurt but it doesn't and is very soothing.

I burn also and then it will fade to a light tan. I have been noticing I'm getting a lot more freckles as I get older. My mother has red hair and freckles, very irish...and she burns just THINKING aobut the sun...Her senior class trip they went to Florida and she spent the whole time in the hospital because she got burned so badly. And last year, they removed 3 patches of skin cancer, 2 from her arms and one from her back so she steers clear of it now.
My father, on the other hand is French and has very very dark skin and black hair. He never burns, just turns a nice golden brown all over!! Have you ever noticed that people that burn only burn where the sun DIRECTLY hits them so that they have distinct lines where the burn ends and the white skin starts? And that people who tan jsut seem to get tan all over? Why is that?

It is so unfortunate that people say and believe that a tan looks "healthy" when it is the exact opposite!

CountryWolf07
08-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Nope. I tan easily.

slleipnir
08-12-2005, 05:49 PM
You should see my sister. She is always out in the sun, and either doesn't wear sunscreen, or she uses something not that good. She has a nice tan, and tans well, but she has a lot of wrinkles and is only 30. I'm sure when she is 40 she'll look like she's 60! It's too bad too, she's so beautiful...

Giselle
08-12-2005, 05:54 PM
That's true. The sunlight ages your skin, which would explain why I look the way I do:rolleyes: I never use sunscreen. I guess I just don't see much of a risk, when I get an average of one weak sunburn every other year. Then again, I'm very dark/tan, which is regarded as oog-a-ly in chinese culture. I don't care at all, though;)

KYS
08-12-2005, 06:42 PM
If I do not wear sun block,
I would burn and the burn turns into a tan.

Uabassoon
08-12-2005, 06:59 PM
I don't burn, but I'm also dark skinned so it's a bit harder for me to burn.

kuhio98
08-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by cali
I burn easily and I cannot tan, and my skin is very white with a pink tinge, without the pink I would look like a ghost lol its not fun having people walk up to you and compare there skin to yours and they walk away feeling better that their skin is not as pale as mine :o (unfortinatly this actually happens lol)

Cali ~ Me too! I'm so pale I glow in the dark (and I'm SUPPOSED to have Cherokee and African blood in my veins) :rolleyes: Once I went to a Mary Kay (makeup) party. When we were looking at foundation colors, my sister asked if they made a color called "Casper" for me! :p

My "tan" usually consists of a reddish/brown color that quickly fades.

finn's mom
08-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Only on my nose and cheeks, really...the rest of me basically just tans. I tan well, and, I haven't shown any signs of aging at all, yet. I have one or two slight lines on my forehead, because I'm expressive. ;) But, as much as I smile or laugh, you'd think I'd have crow's feet. My mom has very few wrinkles, though, so, I am hoping it's hereditary, but, I'm not kidding myself...I do like being outdoors, and, I rarely wear sunscreen. Everything I've heard about all the chemicals in sunscreens, too, it's like you darned if you do, darned if you don't. ;)

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-13-2005, 11:11 AM
I tan pretty easily, though not a whole lot...I rarely get burned though, even if I don't wear sunscreen...but you can really see my farmer's tan if I'm at the pool! lol:rolleyes: It's getting better though, I don't have too much of a farmer's tan now.:)

popcornbird
08-13-2005, 01:31 PM
I don't need to tan...I am already tan. Tee hee hee! I don't burn in the sun.......actually, I don't THINK I do. Then again, my skin is never exposed to the sun. When I go out, nothing is exposed besides my hands and face.......and feet but they are usually in shoes so that doesn't count, and my face and hands have never burnt from the sun. I don't think I could burn easily, as I have 'Eastern skin', naturally tan, and I think the sun prefers to burn lighter skin. ;) I can never understand why people WANT to get tan.....We're all different, and I feel we should be happy with our natural skin color. The funny thing is darker people always wish they were lighter, and lighter people always wish they were darker. I always find that funny...he he he. Too much exposure to the sun causes cancer...so it isn't a good thing to lie around, trying to get tan. I used to wish I was lighter as a child, but growing up somehow made me lighter, so now I'm happy with my color....he he he.

Uabassoon
08-13-2005, 01:52 PM
I used to wish I was lighter as a child, but growing up somehow made me lighter, so now I'm happy with my color....he he he.

My mom was like that, I'm always surprised when I see pictures of her as a child because she was as dark as I am and now she is so pale! I've stayed dark, when I was younger I didn't really like it but now I love my skin coloring and often get compliments on it.

Anita Cholaine
08-13-2005, 03:26 PM
I don't tan, I burn!!! I'm too pale, so my skin goes red inmediately, and its really painful... but I learnt that I must always use sunscreen... My sister is completely different; she's also pale, but her skin is much more resistant than mine... She doesn't burn, but she doesn't even tan!

manda_moo87
08-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Yep, I burn very easily. I've burned my back and shoulders quite a few times already this year. I do tan, but not a lot, I've got very fair skin.

carole
08-14-2005, 12:30 AM
What can I say I was born in Scotland, I am fair skinned and tend to freckle as well, so a tan I have never really had, and frankly I am not interested in having one, I only need to take a look at my hands that have been exposed regularly to the elements, to see how wrinkled the rest of me would be if I were out sunbaking or exposed even for a little time per day, and skin cancer is a high risk in NZ, we have a very damaging rays here down under,. worse than Aussie even.,luckily I am not really an outdoors type of person.

Do I burn, absolutely like in a few seconds , and that has not happened to me very often. I keep well away from harmful exposure if I possibly can., I walk around with an umbrella in summer, I used to feel kinda silly, but a lot of Asian people moved in around the area, and they are sensible enough to use them all the time, so now I don't stick out like a sore thumb.:D

GoldenRetrLuver
08-14-2005, 12:36 AM
Ugh, yes. I don't tan at all, I just burn. My dad had skin cancer a couple of years ago, and even though I should take that as a warning, I don't really wear sunscreen as often as I should when I go out in the sun. I rarely ever wear shorts or skirts because my legs are so pale looking.. bleh. :(

king2005
08-14-2005, 01:35 AM
Audrey, go to the Guardian & pick up a bottle of
Hawaiian Tropic 70spf.

It works great!
If I knew u needed it, I would have left my 1/2 empty bottle with u to try.

I really like it & my dad uses it aswell. We're both the same, we burn BADDLY!!

Not sure if u noticed it or not, but I have these little brown dots on my face. those r from bad burns (anything lower then 70spf doesn't work for me).

6 summers ago I had a 2ed & 3rd degree sun burn!! OMG it was painfull. I couldn't remove my shirt for months nor shower. My skin turned into rock & it was a painfull struggle going to school & getting into & out of bed.

I have scares all over my back. All I can say is NEVER EVER use that after burn stuff!!!!!

On the label it says apply to sun burns to get them to cool down & heal faster. Ya right! Thats how my skin turned into stone! I recommend, a cool towel if u ever do burn.. cause oneday that after burn is gonna get ya!

Evil stuff.

davidpizzica
08-14-2005, 05:57 AM
I tan very easy. I think it's the half Italian side of me! Also 35 years of working in the sun and the heat on the golf course helps to give me a nice farmer's tan. I hardly ever burn.