PDA

View Full Version : My photography got published.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-11-2005, 10:53 PM
I am now a photographer and a poet. :) Both my poetry and my photography have been published.

I submitted my photography a few weeks ago to a website and they email me back today, this is what it said:

Dear Megan Holz,

We have chosen to publish your photograph in the 2005 edition of Photography vibes. Your photograph was selected out of 8523 entries. Your work below was appreciated for the assymetric composition and light mix used throughout:

As a contest finalist and for a limited time, enjoy the manuscript for only $59 (regular price is $69). This offer expires on Aug-26-2005 (or until stocks expire) and the next contest will only be in November 2005.

Click here to take advantage of this great offer now as we are finalizing orders. You can view sample selected pictures of fellow finalists by clicking here

Paying members who order the 2005 manuscript also qualify for the $5000 grand prize as a thank you for helping us to craft and print the manuscripts and to support our team. They will also receive an invitation to the global photography conference.

Our own manuscripts are 9 1/2" X 11 and are made of high quality, bounded paper with a 12 point high quality laminated cover. Manuscripts have over 300 pages of leading photographs and professional illustrations as well as several sections of photography techniques written by leading experts. They make terrific coffee table books and great gifts to friends and family! Of course, your work will be published in this manuscript along with your name.

You can also have your biography printed in the book to highlight your work or your experience.

Finally, Circle of Photography lets you commemorate the publication of your photograph with a certificate in your name printed on a walnut-finished plaque. The plaque measures 10 1/2" X 13".

Orders are only available until Aug-26-2005 (or until stocks expire). The next contest will only be in November 2005. To receive a copy (copies) before reserves run out, please click here now

Note, to order, you can also cut and paste this link in your browser:

http://www.circleofphotographers.com/payment/shopping_cart.php?ContestPhotoID=15199

If you do not have a credit card, please mail your check or money order as soon as possible to:

Circle of Photographers
7461 St-Jacques Apt.7
Montreal
QC
H4B1W7
CANADA

All $ are US $. Please add US $8 (or US $18 for international) to the amount of the book for shipping. Else the book will not be shipped.

For help, support, and enquiry, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]

Note: If you don't want to receive any further news from us, please click here to opt out. Or just send an email to [email protected].

Please note that due to high demand and limited supplies, manuscripts are available on a first come, first served basis.

The Circle of Photography team

I'll attach the pic.

flamepony12
08-11-2005, 11:01 PM
That's an amazing picture, Meg! :eek: Congratulations! :D

cyber-sibes
08-11-2005, 11:19 PM
:D Congratulations! That's very cool. It's a beautiful photograph!

GoldenRetrLuver
08-11-2005, 11:45 PM
That's awesome, Meg! :D Beautiful picture!

gemini9961
08-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Big congrats from me to you. You deserve some good things in your life right now and this seems perfect. Amazing pic by the way.

K9karen
08-12-2005, 12:27 AM
How beautiful! I almost plucked it off the computer! I think I can smell it too! Congratulations!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-12-2005, 01:19 AM
It's all a scam.

[ Read Here (http://www.betterphoto.com/forms/QnAdetail.asp?threadID=15563) ]

jennifert9
08-12-2005, 01:31 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Why do people do things like that? It's so despicable...
Either way, your photo IS amazing! And it definitely SHOULD win something. :) I hearby honor your photo with the Pet Talk award, given only to photos taken by pet lovers with exceptional quality!! (Sorry there is no prize money ;))
I love the picture! I am horrific at picture-taking...I try and try but I'm just naturally NOT good at it!! It's a running joke in our family..Collin takes all the pictures now. ;) I need to purchase another digital camera as they help cover my mistakes and I can retake...and retake...and retake...and retake...and..well you get the picture!!

jesse_3
08-12-2005, 01:34 AM
Jenneifer, send me you camera when you get a new one!;) lol!

Amazing pic too! Wow! Congrats! You must be so proud of yourself:)

Steph and Jes

jennifert9
08-12-2005, 02:03 AM
Steph, you know...I ACTUALLY would send you my camera when I get a new one BUT unfortunately, it was stolen!!! So we don't have a digital anymore :(
It was a gift to me however when my friend got himself a new one so, if I had it, I would certainly pass on the favor and re-gift it to you!

grybai
08-12-2005, 02:42 AM
I got caught up in a scam like that when I was in middle school but it was for poetry. I got so excited when I got the letter in the mail, but something smelled fishy about it so I checked it out online and found out it was a scam. I was crushed. :( Any company that immediatly starts asking for money to your work published is a bit iffy.

In any case, don't give up hope. As others have said that's an amazing photograph. You should def try to find a reputable contest to submit it to, or at least keep taking pictures! :)

Pawsitive Thinking
08-12-2005, 04:45 AM
Don't let this put you off - that picture was amazing

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-12-2005, 05:58 AM
Meg, I am so sorry this was a scam! That photo definately deserves a prize! You are so talanted!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-12-2005, 06:10 AM
Oh Meg, I am so sorry for this...:( . That picture is perfect, it took my breath away!
I agree with the others: do NOT give up. You are very talented!!

finn's mom
08-12-2005, 07:47 AM
The photograph is worthy of publication, no doubt about it. Those scams are crappy. A lot of people are led on by them. Don't feel bad. And, do not let it get you down. I've seen a lot of those pictures that shouldn't be published, but, your picture is excellent!

JenBKR
08-12-2005, 08:46 AM
The picture really is incredible. Don't let that get you down. I also was almost caught up in that scam, for poetry just like grybai. Luckily, my parents checked it out first, and bot was I crushed! I was young and thought I was actually talented. However, you truly ARE talented, so please keep trying with your photos. :)

Karen
08-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Any publication that wants you to pay to see the printed work is something to be wary of, and to distrust.

Your photo is lovely, and you should enter it in any local contests you can find!

Logan
08-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Scam or not, it is a lovely photograph, Meg. Do you mind if I "steal" it and use it as my background for a while?? Was the flower growing in your garden??

mina'smomma
08-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Oh dear I'm so sorry. Don't give up hope hun. Have you tried seeing if any of you local newspapers would publish your pictures. Another place to try is the Art programs at your local college.

flamepony12
08-12-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm so sorry it was a scam. :( It's still an amazing photograph, though, and you should be very proud of it!

cyber-sibes
08-12-2005, 09:59 AM
The publishers dishonesty doesn't diminish the artistic merit of your photo. It REALLY is good! You should continue to enter it in exihibitions for amateur photographers and submit it for publication. It would be a shame if you let those dingleberries stomp on your creativity! You keep going, girl!

gini
08-12-2005, 10:19 AM
First of all your photo is just outstanding! Second, you can count yourself lucky because very early on you have discovered that some people are dishonest and you will be on your guard in the future.

Karen (our mayor) already hit it right - when they ask YOU for money be wary. I think that it said you wouldn't be eligible for the grand prize unless you paid. That alone smelled to high heaven.

Don't give up - you have way too much talent to stop.

There are many legitimate contests and it isn't unusual for a bonafide publication to ask you for an entry fee - but that is usually a nominal amount.

Zany_girlie
08-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Wow!! What a great picture!!!Scam or not....

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-12-2005, 10:36 AM
That is awesome!!! Congrats!!!:D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Logan
Scam or not, it is a lovely photograph, Meg. Do you mind if I "steal" it and use it as my background for a while?? Was the flower growing in your garden??

Definately. :) Thanks everyone. It was growing at this pond near my house.

Toby's my baby
08-12-2005, 11:29 AM
I am so sorry it was a scam!! :( Your photo is amazing, you should enter it in other contests localy though, I am sure you would get a blue (for first) AND a rich purple (for grand champion) ;)

tomkatzid
08-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Here are some sites to enter your pictures, keep trying. There are a lot of 'real' contests out there. BUT the most important thing to remember when entering a contest is ''you loose all rights to ''your'' photo''. So make sure this is what you want to do first. May be a better idea to try and sell them to a newspaper or magizine.
Do a Google search and it will bring millions of contests.
Katz

http://public.fotki.com/jtl10/ (http://)

http://www.pbase.com/ (http://)