PDA

View Full Version : "So, when are you due?"

CalliesMom
08-11-2005, 05:08 PM
This question pretty much was the pinnacle crappiness that was my day yesterday. I started work in the new lab yesterday and was feeling a LITTLE overwhelmed by everything. It's nice but people aren't as friendly as they were in my old lab, which made me sad because now it's going to be harder to make friends. I was having several small panic attacks about if I could handle all this...blah blah blah.

I took part of the afternoon yesterday to ATTEMPT to get my NC drivers license and did not realize you had to take a written test to get it. SO I FAILED by one point..which now is pretty funny but yesterday just added to all my trauma.

If that wasn't bad enough, my husband and I go grocery shopping and while I'm in line the bagger asks me when I'm due. DUE FOR WHAT? I'm NOT PREGNANT, I'm CHUBBY. :eek: That pretty much made the day...I burst into tears the moment I got in the car. LOL

I then tell my mom about the bagger and she proceeds to laugh. UH..it's not funny. :rolleyes: I'm traumatized and she laughs..oh well. :o :D

Awwww...I hate days like those.

dukedogsmom
08-11-2005, 05:14 PM
That is so rude and I would have been pissed! I don't know why people make that assumption. You should have broken down crying saying you couldn't have kids. That would have made them feel like crap and maybe even made them learn a lesson.

catnapper
08-11-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm so sorry sweeite! I'd have burst into tears as well. Moving is stressful. Moving far away is worse. To start a new job AND move... yikes!

O hope things settle down better and you have a great weekend filled with GOOD things!

DJFyrewolf36
08-11-2005, 05:20 PM
This happened to a friend of mine while we were out shopping. Someone asked when she was due and she said "Well when are YOU due?" and the person asked "For what?" and she said "THIS!" and slapped the person upside the head! I had to laugh, although Im suprised my friend didn't get into trouble lol.

I hate it when people just assume things...don't people know what happens when you ASSUME?

*hugs* I hope you are having a better day today.

lizbud
08-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Big {{{HUGS}}} to you.:) It just was not a good day.
Hope tomorrow is better for you.:D

beeniesmom
08-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Oh I'm sorry. What an Ass.
I am very chubby.... OK I'm fat (I think) but noone has ever said that to me. I think I'd cry too.

chocolatepuppy
08-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
This happened to a friend of mine while we were out shopping. Someone asked when she was due and she said "Well when are YOU due?" and the person asked "For what?" and she said "THIS!" and slapped the person upside the head! I had to laugh, although Im suprised my friend didn't get into trouble lol.

I hate it when people just assume things...don't people know what happens when you ASSUME?

*hugs* I hope you are having a better day today.

LMAO!!!...

CalliesMom, that's happened to me before! Even when I was thinner. I'm a bit blessed in the chest department :o , so to cover that up my shirts are sometimes a little loose over my belly. It really pissed me off. Nobody has asked it lately, I've decided to tell them no, I have big ....., well, you know what. ;)

CalliesMom
08-11-2005, 05:59 PM
The worst part was the lady continue to talk to us even after she asked the question. I just wanted to jump over the counter and beat the bejesus out of her and she acted as if nothing happened. :eek:

As I'm crying in the car, my husband tells me "if you don't like your body, work out." Well, the rational me would agree but then I turned into the irrational Sarah and all I could think "WHAT YOU DON'T LIKE MY BODY???" :rolleyes: ;)

CathyBogart
08-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Ya knnow what...I'm thin, but I have a tummy, and I've been asked that before. Of course, I ran to my friend James....6'9" and at the time over 400lbs, and scared the you-know-what out of the idiot who said it to me. Don't let it get to you...enjoy your body the way it is. IMO, women with a bit of "padding" are usually much more beautiful than skinny bony women. :)

Ginger's Mom
08-11-2005, 06:05 PM
That is a horrible day, it is so hard getting adjusted to new places and jobs. You always feel somewhat insecure as the new person, and then someone to be as rude as that, I would have cried too. I am sorry that your husband wasn't more supportive. {{{Big Hugs}}} to you.

moosmom
08-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Callie's Mom,

I'm sorry that happened. People can be so insensitive. She probably didn't mean it, but still. That on top of your being overwhelmed didn't help either. Me, being the crass 6itch that I can be would've said, "None of your business!!"

I'm not chubby, I'm fat. I'm not proud of it, but it's not what's on the outside that counts. It's what's on the inside. You're a sweet, loving, kind person. Hold your head up high and be proud of who you are. The hell with the idiot who's walking around with his foot down his throat. No wonder he works as a bagger at a grocery store. :mad:

((((HUGS)))))

neko1
08-11-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm thin but I have a belly too. I remember one day when I was at my old job, one of the patients came up to me and said "is there something you're not telling us?" I said "no I don't think so". I had no clue what he was talking about. Apparently he told my boss that he thought I was pregnant and that I just didn't tell any of the patients!

wolfie
08-11-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm sorry you had such a bad day. *hugs* Tomorrow will be better! :)

sirrahbed
08-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Our family moved to a new base when I was about a month shy of delivering my 2nd son. I had met several neighbors, taken walks with my older son, mowed the lawn, etc. A few weeks AFTER I delievered my baby, a neighbor saw me out with him and asked whose he was. HUH? Then she proceeded to tell me she had not noticed I was pregnant. :o Well hormonal as I was - I DID burst into tears.

I am sorry this happened to you. People say things without thinking and omegosh it sure can hurt can't it?? With people in so many shapes and sizes and the styles of clothing, I think "when are you due?" is a pretty dumb thing to say. (((HUGS)))

CalliesMom
08-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Thanks everyone. :) It doesn't help that I left a place that I really, really liked and felt completely comfortable there to a place where people aren't as friendly as I'm used to. I just want to get back into classes and a routine at work and hopefully everything should be better.

Jamieejo85
08-11-2005, 11:56 PM
I am so sorry to hear this happened to you. Also I am sorry that your husband wasn't as supportive as you would have liked him to be. TONS of hugs coming your way..... I am overweight as well but I know that I am still pretty, although I would like to be thinner. I never show that my weight bothers me but once I heard someone call me "big" and I just burst into tears. Anyway, I hope you feel super better soon!!!

shais_mom
08-11-2005, 11:58 PM
people need to learn NOT to ask that question!!

idiots

((hugs to you))

PJ's Mom
08-12-2005, 12:02 AM
I did that to a lady when I was around 18. I was stupid and felt about as horrible as a person could feel when the lady told me she wasn't pregnant. I have never asked the question again.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-12-2005, 05:03 AM
(((HUGS))) :(

I KNOW how that question can make you feel - it has happened to me on several occasions, and my response was always "I'm not pregnant - I'm just fat" whilst trying to look like I'm not upset, but I ALWAYS cried for hours afterwards.

Of course now that I AM pregnant I am sure that people will be making comments about my due date - and assuming I am further along than I am - I am going to try not to get too upset!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-12-2005, 05:09 AM
Some people can be so thoughtless and stupid at times - try not to let her remark get to you.......she may be feeling even worse about it than you do ;)

"That" question and "cheer up it may never happen" should never, ever be used. I was on the end of the "cheer up" one just two days after my Dad died.......my reply cannot be repeated here!

Hope you have a really good day today :D :D

jenluckenbach
08-12-2005, 05:18 AM
I am so sorry that your entire day was crappy. Why does everything always happen at the same time??

As for the pregnant comment, get this one! I walked into a hospital emergency room one desperately sick and the first person to greet me asked if I was in labor. :eek: But realizing that I AM indeed fat, I just let it slide and said no.

Here's hoping for a better tomorrow!