PDA

View Full Version : Touching up pictures

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-01-2002, 12:37 PM
Ok, now you guys are in trouble. ;) I transferred most of my cat pictures to my computer here at work, so I've got them to share.

I mentioned yesterday that Tubby's eyes really glow when I use the flash. I tried to touch this one up using the "get rid of red eye" part of my picture program. This was my first attempt at getting rid of the red eye, and I don't think it looks *too* bad. :eek: If you don't look at it too closely, it looks pretty good, but then when you take a closer look, he kinda gets that "Scooter" look to his eyes. ;) (sorry Scooter!)

What he's sitting on is a box my dad made for him to make it easier for Tubby to get into bed with us. I've noticed in the last couple of years that his jumping abilities aren't what they used to be, and sometimes he "misses" when he's trying to get in bed with us. I feel so bad for him, that I asked my dad to make him a stool so he wouldn't have to jump so far. Well, my dad, being the creative one, came up with this. It's based on a child's block, with each side having a different cat picture on it. It's all wood with the cat pictures being wood "appliques" - not just painted on. I think he did an amazing job since all I asked for was a plain old stool. :D

I had two practice sessions with Tubby to show him what the block was for and how to use it, and being the fast learner that he is, he caught on right away and uses it every night now. I had taken this picture the night the box was delivered. Tubby was all over it, and I wanted to show my dad that Tubby appreciates his handiwork. :)

Anyway, it was the eyes that got me. :rolleyes:

Former User
03-01-2002, 12:43 PM
I hope you don't mind me posting a pic of another black cat ;)
Btw, Tubby is gorgeous!!!!!!! Do I need to say that I love black cats? LOL!

http://www.photogra.com/galleries/33097/curr/7679708_20020123_041054_20020123041054.jpg

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-01-2002, 12:48 PM
Casper is such a cutey. He reminds me of Tubby when he was young and skinny. ;)

But you can see how the eyes get. In this picture, they were 10 times worse than Casper's. Tubby's whole eye was glowing, not just the iris part of it. It really looked bad so I had to do *something* but I'm not sure the end result is a whole lot better. LOL

Former User
03-01-2002, 01:00 PM
I know what you mean with the eyes, we have some pics of Casper where his eyes are really weird! But that pic of Tubby isn't bad!! And the eyes are ok too!

Oh, and Casper isn't so thin anymore, he's put on some weight, shame on him! Takes it after me I think :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Former User
03-01-2002, 01:16 PM
Here's Casper with his lights (eyes) on! LOL!
Another problem taking pics with flash from black cats is the flash. As you can see from this pic, his fur isn't all that black. I hate that, and try not taking so many pics of him with the flash on. I call these pics nuclear pics (not a nice name, but still...)
Another feature we have in our digital camera is a option for black & white pics, I use that with Casper and get nice pics :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-01-2002, 01:26 PM
Yup, that's the look! It seems I get better pictures with the regular camera than I do with the digital. Just about every picture I've ever taken with the regular camera looks great - except maybe a little red eye. But I certainly never got the "glowing from within" look with the regular camera. I'll have to see if my digital has a black and white option. That sounds like a good idea.

Although....after going through my pictures, I notice I have a ton of them of Tubby, and very few of Peanut. I've had her for most of her 13 years too, but I guess I just never took that many pictures of her. Maybe it's because she's such a quiet little thing. Tubby always has to be the center of attention, and Peanut is more than happy to hang out in the background.

I guess I'll have to remedy this situation by getting the camera out this weekend....since we're supposed to be buried in a foot of snow!

Edwina's Secretary
03-01-2002, 01:34 PM
In the original of this photo Edwina's right eye (left side of photo) was "glass". With the help of a friend and photo shop or the like, we made a pupil for her eye. Red eye didn't work as that is designed for correcting the light reflection in human eyes. You can see the before and after!

http://www.photogra.com/galleries/35724/curr/5783727_20020301_143123_20020301143123.jpg

http://www.photogra.com/galleries/35724/curr/2311353_20020218_183624_20020218183624.jpg

K & L
03-01-2002, 01:34 PM
Tubby's a cutie!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-01-2002, 01:52 PM
Edwina, yes your eyes look ok in the second picture, if you don't look too close, like Tubby's. But if you know what you're looking for, there's that look to the eyes, kind of.....just not natural, maybe they're too perfect.... I don't know what it is, I laughed when I first saw the complete results of Tubby's picture. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-01-2002, 01:54 PM
Thanks, K & L. He's my buddy, my old man now. The two worst things about getting old yourself, is the fact that your parents & friends get old, and your pets get old. :(

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-01-2002, 06:50 PM
I can't believe you guys could keep ANYTHING at the bottom of your Christmas trees LOL . I got Tinky for Christmas and it only took her one week to clear off the bottom two feet :D :D (she is so cute I couldn't stop her) Anyway what beautiful black kitties yall have!! And the touched up pictures look great you can't even tell hardley!

wolflady
03-01-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
...This was my first attempt at getting rid of the red eye, and I don't think it looks *too* bad. :eek: If you don't look at it too closely, it looks pretty good, but then when you take a closer look, he kinda gets that "Scooter" look to his eyes. ;) (sorry Scooter!)

Anyway, it was the eyes that got me. :rolleyes:

LOL LOL :D :D

It's it amazing what you can do with computers these days! I just have a blast with photoshop sometimes!!:)
What a cute box, BTW!:)