PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever experienced this?

Fur&Feathers
08-11-2005, 02:03 PM
My mom was just informed that she has abnormal cell growth on the cervix. They said it could be the beginning of cervical cancer, they've got to do a biopsy to be sure. Her sister, my aunt, had the exact same thing and said that you have to have an STD in order to have cervical cancer, which my mom is 100% sure she doesn't. Does anyone have any information on this? I'd be devastated if it were cancer... :( . I hope it's not. Thanks.

Anita Cholaine
08-11-2005, 02:14 PM
I don't have any information to help, but I'm sending prayers for your mom... Hope it isn't cancer

Edwina's Secretary
08-11-2005, 02:14 PM
No...having abnormal cells on the cervix does NOT mean you have STD. STDs raise the risk of cervical cancer. That is why women have Pap tests. It look for abnormal cells on the cervix. When caught early, these pre-cancerous spots can be removed.

Removing these spots usually takes care of the situation.

furrykidsmother
08-11-2005, 02:21 PM
No, STD's are not a requirement to cancer. However, as stated, that is why woman have PAP tests. It is to find changes in the cells at an early stage when something can be done to prevent it from becoming cancerous.

sirrahbed
08-11-2005, 02:28 PM
I had the abnormal cells at one time many years ago but the repeat exam was normal and I have never had the abnormal results again. So, like others have said the screening can either show beginning changes or sometimes the test shows something that amounts to nothing. I hope this is the case with your mom. Having regular paps is the best way to show problems at a very early stage. Any sort of mild infection (NOT necessarily an STD!!) can make the test come back suspicious. The biopsy will tell her precisely what is wrong, if anything.

moosmom
08-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Her sister, my aunt, had the exact same thing and said that you have to have an STD in order to have cervical cancer, which my mom is 100% sure she doesn't.

That is SO not true. Unless your aunt has M.D. after her name, she best be careful about giving out advice like that. Tell your Mom to ask her doctor for the facts.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. Please let her know that she is in my thoughts and prayers.

luvofallhorses
08-11-2005, 06:15 PM
I will pray that she doesn't have anything really wrong. :( ((hugs)) Please keep us updated.

Fur&Feathers
08-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind and reassuring words. I certainly hope nothing comes of this. I'm not sure when we'll know, her appt. is Thursday and I'm sure it will take them forever to get the results. :(

Zany_girlie
08-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Anita Cholaine
I don't have any information to help, but I'm sending prayers for your mom... Hope it isn't cancer

Awwwww......I hope its not cancer that would be horrible! Hope everything works out.

kuhio98
08-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Prayers to you and your family. My mother went for several years with abnormal cells found during her yearly exam. They watched her closely. She never had an STD and she never got cancer. It's something that happens. Some women are more prone to it than others. Please keep us posted. And don't worry. Whatever happens, you guys will be able to deal with it. I found this on a women's health site (search for "abnormal pap smears" and you'll get over 90,000 hits!

Being alarmed or worried is a completely normal reaction when told your Pap smear is abnormal but, it's important to remember that most cases of abnormal Pap smear results do not indicate cancer.

What an abnormal Pap smear does mean is further diagnostic procedures must be discussed with your physician; abnormal Pap smear results will usually require re- testing in three to six months or Colposcopy.

What does that mean?
Pap smear tests are screening tests. The test looks for any abnormal cells that may be precancerous or for any cells that may be a sign of infection. If you are told that your pap smear is abnormal it is usually because of one of the following:
There were not enough cells taken during the test and it needs to be repeated
There was too much inflammation to read the pap smear. This means there may be an infection that needs to be cleared up before repeating the test
There are abnormal cells that may indicate changes in the cervix. These may not be cancer cells, but if left untreated they may turn into cancer cells

king2005
08-12-2005, 08:49 PM
My younger sister had thet last year. She had an operation& shes now 100% ok.

She said the Operation didn't hurt at all. All the girls on my mothers side gets some form of womans cancer down there. So far I'm the only one that has escaped that fate so far.

After my younger sister (19yrs old) was tested positive, she rang me & told me to get to the Dr. asap. So I did & the Dr. did an emg. test on me & Im ok.

Best wishes to ur mother & if she has her PAP test on a regulat bases, there is a great chance that if it is the cancer, they caught it on time.

Just give ur mom lots of hugs & support right now. She'll really need it.

Sending lots of wishes ur way

Fur&Feathers
08-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks everyone and Kuhio. I found that very informative and reassuring. I'll be sure to show her later, as she's not taking it very well. I'm glad that your mother is ok. And your sister, king.

moosmom, I'll be sure to tell my aunt she's been misinformed. Thank you for the correction.

I'll definitely keep all of you posted. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and prayers.