PDA

View Full Version : Don't know whether I'm happy or sad

catnapper
08-11-2005, 12:40 PM
My son is 19, and starting his freshman year of college. He's been seriously talking to the Pennsylvania National Gaurd (Army). They came today and what they had to say made sense and my son REALLY wants to join. They'll pay 100% of his college expenses and he'll get to stay home and attend college with a gaurantee that he'll not go overseas until after graduation... if at all. Once he graduates, he'll have two years left to his contract where he'll be able to find a job and only once a month go serve on a local base.

He's really excited and wants to do it. He thinks it'll make him a more rounded person and it'll definately teach him the discipline he needs.

I'm not sure if I'm happy or not. Yes, the money helps - A LOT- and I know the whole thing is good for him mentally and physically. It'll also teach him things he'd never come across in the civilian world. BUT there's always the chance that he'll still go overseas once graduated. And I worry that even the once a month commitement might be too much on him. He's going to have a hard time in college with his learning disability... why add to it the pressure of heading to base once a month?

Sigh... why is this so difficult? I mean, its his decision, but he's looking to us to help him decide.

Logan
08-11-2005, 01:04 PM
It is difficult, Kim, because you are a mother and our country is fighting a war right now. I think any loving mother would have the exact same conflicting feelings.

Logan

sirrahbed
08-11-2005, 01:06 PM
It IS a big decision catnapper! Accepting the financial aid also means that he could be activated. The service is a wonderful character building experience for young men and women but is not to be taken too lightly. I can understand your concerns very well as all of our family comes from military active duty background - my dad(Korea and WWII), my mom (WWII) and hubby (Vietnam and Gulf War), then Missy's hubby(soon to deploy) It is so much more than a way to save money because if he is called to active duty - the pay is not all that great but hopefully he is doing this because he wants to. My oldest son, Misha's daddy had a full scholarship after four years of Junior ROTC - to college but decided to go private instead and he seems very happy to be a civilian. We would encourage any of our children to serve if they wanted. (I would still be scared of course!!) Is there anyone active duty in your family that he could talk with?? Blessings!!

katienoonan
08-11-2005, 01:19 PM
My husband is in the National Guard and right now he is in Iraq. I'm not trying to scare you but there is ALWAYS a posibility that he will be deployed. It doesn't necessarily mean to Iraq though. My husband was in for five years before he was deployed for the first time.

Oggyflute
08-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Speaking from a personal experience, I found that joining the Air Force at 17 was probably the best thing I ever did. I was the typical new everything, but nothing teenager, and the Air Force taught me a lot, the most being life skills.

jennifert9
08-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Oh, Kim...how difficult...
You said your son was excited about it...perhaps it will keep him motivated throughout school. And the discipline they teach him may actually help him deal with his learning disability and succeed.
My brother got a Navy scholarship through his ROTC membership in high school and it paid for his medical school in its entirety as well as provided him with living expenses. In exchange, he had to give them 8 years of service as a doctor. He didn't have to do much during school, just one month in the summers at a base. And the pay he received in the Navy was actually quite a bit higher than the going rate...Unfortunately, he also had to go to NYC for 9/11 and to Afghanistan for a few months. It was terrifying to know he was there. He was scheduled to be out the month the war started and they almost didn't let him go. We were so scared...That's the downside...God willing, this will all be over by the time your son graduates however. Bush will be out of office and hopefully we will have a less power hungry leader. Having money for college is a huge advantage both to your family and to your son personally. I know that I left college with over $30,000 in student loans that burdened me financially enormously. I lived with my parents until I was 27 yrs old. With a loan payment of $500 a month and a startng wage of $6.50/hr, there was no way I could move out...Some of my friends that had college paid for my their parents are WAY ahead of me financially right now. It really helps to start off your adult life at $0 rather than -$30,000.
I hope it all works out and that your son will be happy. :)

jesse_3
08-12-2005, 01:42 AM
I really do not know what to say. I know that you will terribly miss your son, IF he goes over seas. Yes, the finacial aid support is such a huge help!-but it may not cover how much you will miss your son while he is busy with college and training. You will get to see him again someday, when he has calmed down. I wish you and your son my best wishes!

Steph and Jes