PDA

View Full Version : Tongueless cat, litter rescued

QueenScoopalot
08-11-2005, 07:51 AM
http://www.ketchikandailynews.com/cgi-shl/news/search.pl?category=1&keyword=tongueless+cat
:eek: :eek: :)
Tongueless cat, litter rescued
KDN Staff

Even after 16 years of animal rescue work and 14 years as a pet groomer, Gretchen Moore had never seen a dirtier, uglier, skinnier cat than the one dropped off at the Ketchikan Humane Society about 10 days ago. On top of everything else, the homeless feline is missing a tongue, but somehow managed to raise three healthy kittens.
The emaciated female cat and its offspring were found living in between the Sheetrock and outside wall of a garage, said Moore, who works with the Humane Society.
After they were rescued and brought to her shelter, she said, she immediately made a vet appointment for the filthy feline family, to test them for disease and to give them a general checkup.
The vet confirmed the mother cat has only about a quarter-inch of tongue inside its mouth, Moore said. It is not known whether the cat’s condition is due to a birth defect or an injury. In spite of that malady, Moore said the cat, which she named “Mona Lisa” because of its homely appearance, manages to care for the kittens using its bottom lip to clean them.
The cat and the three kittens — who all have normal tongues — are available for adoption, said Moore. However, she warned, Mona Lisa still is not a particularly attractive feline.
“She’s kind of the ugliest thing you’ve ever seen,” she said. “You know how some things are so ugly they’re cute? Well, she’s so ugly she’s cute.”

For more detail on this story, see Leila Kheiry’s article in the Aug. 6-7, 2005, edition of the Ketchikan Daily News.

catmandu
08-11-2005, 08:36 AM
I WISH,THAT I WAS CLOSER,AS I WOULD BE PROUD,TO TAKE MONA LISA,INTO THE FOUND CAT HOTEL,WHERE SHE WOULD HAVE ALL,THE FOOD,FRIENDS,AND WARM BEDS,THAT THAT WONDEROUS CAT,DESERVES!!
THAT,IS A BRAVE,BRAVE CAT,A TRUE MOTHER,THAT COULD GIVE A LOT,OF PEOPLE,A COURSE,IN LOVE.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture612.jpg

lvpets2002
08-11-2005, 01:46 PM
:) OMG I would love to adopt & have you Mona Lisa you brave precious sweetie.. I just know you are so pretty. I am in Tx & wish there was a way for you to get to me.. Please let me know how you are doing & if you have a home yet..

momcat
08-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Don't pay any attention to that silly purrson, Mona Lisa. You ARE a beautiful kitty!

lizbud
08-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by catmandu

THAT,IS A BRAVE,BRAVE CAT,A TRUE MOTHER,THAT COULD GIVE A LOT,OF PEOPLE,A COURSE,IN LOVE.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture612.jpg

You are sooo right about that.:) I hope she finds a forever
home with someone to care for her the same way.

rosethecopycat
08-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Mona Lisa, I bet you are lovely. So brave, and courageous.

I'd love you no matter what your outsides looked like.

Laura's Babies
08-11-2005, 08:13 PM
QSL, I thought this was going to be another amazing rescue of YOURS!! How did this one get by you? :eek:

Mona Lisa, You are just one brave, wonderful mother to take care of your babies like you have. A mothers love concers ALL as you have proven. You are BEAUTIFUL inside and that is all that counts to a lot of us. You would have a home here on PT if one of us could get our hands on you no matter HOW you look....

(Look how all of us fell in love with poor, dirty little sick Birdie!)

QueenScoopalot
08-12-2005, 06:33 AM
QSL, I thought this was going to be another amazing rescue of YOURS!! How did this one get by you? :eek:
Too funny Laura! Alaska's a bit far from here, but if I had found that little girl....well you know the rest lol! :D I wish there was a picture of Mona Lisa and her kittens that she did so well with. She sounds like one special girl. :)

kuhio98
08-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Hmmmm, she's in Alaska ~ I'm in Alaska!
Her name is Mona Lisa ~ My name is Lisa!
I think the universe is sending me a sign....

I contacted the newspaper and am waiting on a call back. I inquired about adoption. They say that they have a waiting list of people in Ketchikan who want her and the kittens. So.....

But, I still think it's a sign. I'll keep you posted.

momcat
08-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi Kuhio98! Just saw your post about Mona Lisa. Prayers are being prayed that this extraordinary mommy cat finds her way right to you! It would be so great to have Mona Lisa as a PT kitty!If there's anyone or any place I can contact to speak up on your behalf, please let me know?!?

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-12-2005, 02:58 PM
I am sure Mona Lisa will find a wonderful furever home with all the publicity she is getting, but it would be extra-wonderful if it was a PT home!!!

jenluckenbach
08-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by kuhio98

I contacted the newspaper and am waiting on a call back. I inquired about adoption. They say that they have a waiting list of people in Ketchikan who want her and the kittens.
Tell them that you can supply DOZENS of character refences! ;) Maybe you can at least find out what she looks like.

Isn't it sad though how people will line up in droves to adopt THIS cat, but when they lose, they WON'T adopt another instead :(

I do not mean to bring this thread down, just stating a sad fact (and I am not refering to Kuhio, in any way)

I just love the fact that the mom cat found a way to care for her kittens despite her handicap. :)

Lightning SuperCat
08-13-2005, 07:10 AM
I hope that you get her, Kuhio98!! Good Luck!!! :D

K & L
08-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by kuhio98

I contacted the newspaper and am waiting on a call back. I inquired about adoption. They say that they have a waiting list of people in Ketchikan who want her and the kittens. So.....

But, I still think it's a sign. I'll keep you posted.

What better home could she have than with you! GOOD LUCK with this.

QueenScoopalot
08-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Lisa you need her!!!! I'd sure love to see a picture of her if anyone finds one. :)

kuhio98
08-13-2005, 07:15 PM
The newspaper directed me to an e-mail address for one of the shelter volunteers. Still waiting to hear back from them. All indications are that Mom and babies all have homes waiting for them. :D :D :D I've told them of our interest in photos. I will be sure to update you guys.

Jen ~ You're right. I wonder why people come "out of the woodwork" to adopt babies that receive publicity, when so many others go homeless. :confused: Hopefully, the publicity will help find some good homes for other babies. From the sound of it, the shelter has mostly dogs.

catcrazylady
08-13-2005, 09:52 PM
What a sad and yet sweet and heartwarming story. That precious girl sounds like such a doll. Isn't a mothers love the sweetest thing? Cleaning her babies with her bottom lip just made me cry.

I'm so glad that many people are wanting to adopt her and the babies but I do agree that it's a shame that so many go unnoticed. They each have a story too.

I hope only the best for mom and babies and I hope we can find out what happens to them. It would be beyond wonderful if she were able to join the wonderful Kuhio home!!! Hopefully we can at least get a picture of her.

QueenScoopalot
08-14-2005, 05:55 AM
What a sad and yet sweet and heartwarming story. That precious girl sounds like such a doll. Isn't a mothers love the sweetest thing? Cleaning her babies with her bottom lip just made me cry.
The whole story reminds me so much of Birdie when his tongue was useless. :( Good thing that happy endings abound! :D

kuhio98
08-20-2005, 05:27 PM
With everything going on with Halo right now, I forgot to post that I did receive an e-mail from the shelter. We're not prepared to bring another kitty into the house until we find out what's going on with Halo, but we are sending a donation to them. Here's Gretchen's e-mail:

Lisa,
Mona Lisa is doing well, gaining weight, sooooo very sweet, she has to be right with you, no matter what you are doing, she is a good helper. She still has a long way to go. I think some of her coat is starting to come in. I have placed 2 of her babies, 1 left. I have had very few offers for a home. No one seems to want a high maintenance cat. And the ones that do want her I know will get tired of regular kitty baths, and piggish eating. But her temperament and will to survive and raise babies out ways the extra work. She is truly amazing. We are working on photos. I am happy Mona has touched people all the way in Boston.

Gretchen
Ketchikan Humane Society

Groomingdales Pet Resort
Gretchen Moore
12034 N. Tongass Hwy
Ketchikan, Alaska 99901
907-225-3647

jenluckenbach
08-20-2005, 06:07 PM
thanks for the update on that kitty. Prayers that she will find a perfect home.

QueenScoopalot
08-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I hope the purrfect home comes through for Mona Lisa. After dealing with Birdie and his messes (that weren't his fault) I can fully understand it may be hard to find her a home. I'd still love to see pictures of the special girl if any come your way Lisa...I think I'm already in love *sigh*:)

kuhio98
09-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Just got an update from Gretchen about Mona Lisa. Still waiting for pictures. If I do get them some day, I'll post them here. Gretchen's e-mail:

Lisa
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for the donation. I have been gone on a camping trip and have finely checked mail and emails. I am planning on sending you a photo of Mona, dropped camera in lake. may take a little time. With your donation, I have received about $300 total for her. witch has covered all her medical. Her coat is growing in now and she is looking a little better. When my clients come, some think she has a disease, I just tell them that she was very malnourished, no tong, and it is taking some time to look like a normal cat. Everywhere I go, seems some one asks me about her and wonders how she eats and talks. I tell people that because she has no tong she talks more that any cat I know, its true. She eats real good too, just a little messy. I do have a lady interested in adopting her, wont know for a few weeks, on vacation. A friend of hers adopted a ragdoll kitty from me over a year ago, that was hit by car and owner never seeked treatment. When (Babycakes) came to me she was underweight and carried her head sideways. She had severe head trauma, when I did have her vetted, her ear drum was in pieces and was easily washed out of her ear. She as well, is a extraordinary kitty with a full and happy life ahead of her. So Sweet, and in a super home. I hope your lil kitty is going to be ok????? Please let me know if there is anything I can do. When my camera gest fixed, I will send you a pictures of 2 kitties that were dumped at the cemetery. They are a hoot. We named them Cheech and Chong, if you met them you would now why, soooo darling. Thank you again Lisa, my Ketchikan Humane Society secretary is out of town for 5 weeks so it will be a bit before we can cash your check, and send you a tax deductible receipt, and another huge thank you. Please let me know how your kitty is doing.
Take care
Gretchen

QueenScoopalot
09-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I still think she needs you Lisa! I'd hate to think she may be going to a home where the previous cat was hit by a car and never treated! :mad: That's not very good screening IMO.:( Hope that someday we'll see pics of Mona LISA!:)

orangemm
09-07-2005, 04:27 PM
i agree...I think she needs YOU, Lisa.

Who else has cared this much already???

kuhio98
09-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Jan ~ I just don't see it in the cards right now with Halo's medical problems to bring in another kitty.

Also, I took Gretchen's note to mean that her friend took in the kitty after it was hit by the car and fixed up by the humane society. But, I'll go back and read it. Maybe I missed something.
Lisa