PDA

View Full Version : Vacation plans - Baltics & Russia - any advice?

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-10-2005, 02:19 PM
We have finalised our vacation plans for later this month. Warren and I are on a 12 day cruise of Russia and the Baltics, with the following itinerary:

23rd Aug - Dover
24th Aug - day at sea
25th Aug - Oslo, Norway
26th Aug - day at sea
27th Aug -Helsinki, Finland
28th Aug - St Petersburg, Russia
29th Aug - St Petersburg, Russia
30th Aug - Tallin, Estonia
31st Aug - day at sea
1st Sep - Warnemunde, Germany (Close to Berlin)
2nd Sep - Copenhagen, Denmark
3rd Sep - day at sea
4th Sep - Dover

My questions:

1. Are there any PTérs in any of these locations (I am in touch with Randi to try and see her in Copenhagen)

2. If you have been to any of these places, what do you recommend as "must see" excursions - we are on a very tight budget so will not be able to book shore excursions through the cruise line for most of the stops - we are trying to plan our own day trips!

JenBKR
08-10-2005, 02:25 PM
I can't help with that, just wanted to tell ya to have a great time! I wish I could afford to do something like that. I have never been outside the U.S.!

grybai
08-10-2005, 02:55 PM
I noticed this post since I spent two weeks in Lithuania this summer. Unfortunetely, we didn't get a chance to explore the surrounding countries so I haven't been to anywhere on your list. :(

But the areas you're going to visit sound beautiful! Have a great trip!

NoahsMommy
08-10-2005, 08:44 PM
I don't know much about that area, but I do hope you have lots of fun and relax. You deserve it, Julie.

Have fun!! And take lots of pictures for us?

Hugs,
Kelly :)

xoxo

Barbara
08-11-2005, 05:46 AM
The town to go to from Warnemuende is Rostock, a historical town that has been in the sea trade since the middle ages. Warnemuende is the port of Rostock and is also quite nice. There are beaches- but it will be too cold for any bathing:D There must be public transport from W.-R. It's not more than 15 km- there must be busses.

Berlin is too far for one day and not really close (like 200 km).

I wish I could go on that journey- it sounds gorgeous! St. Petersburg must be simply great.

Randi
08-11-2005, 06:42 AM
It looks like it'll be a fantastic trip - what luxury!! :eek: D I'd love to come aboard!

http://www.ncl.com/fleet/jewel/pubrms.htm#ame

I sent you a few links about Copenhagen. I'm so looking forward to see you - and Sussanne is too! :D

Keep in touch! :)

dukedogsmom
08-11-2005, 06:44 AM
You must go see Catherine's Palace. I learned about it on the Amazing Race. It's a beautiful place in Russia. I sure do envy you. Here's a link:
http://www.travelinrussia.com/pushkin-palace.htm

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Randi
It looks like it'll be a fantastic trip - what luxury!! :eek: D I'd love to come aboard!

http://www.ncl.com/fleet/jewel/pubrms.htm#ame
I sent you a few links about Copenhagen. I'm so looking forward to see you - and Sussanne is too! :D

Keep in touch! :)

I am getting SO excited!!

Here (http://www.depping-design.de/test/index.php?cat=2) is a link with more ship photos!!

I explained to Warren that we would be meeting up with you and Sus in Copenhagen, and hopefully doing some sightseeing - he is totally BLOWN AWAY that "strangers'" would take the time to meet with us and do some sightseeing - I told him that we are NOT strangers on Pet Talk - just friends that haven't met face-to-face yet ;)

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
You must go see Catherine's Palace. I learned about it on the Amazing Race. It's a beautiful place in Russia. I sure do envy you. Here's a link:
http://www.travelinrussia.com/pushkin-palace.htm

Thanks Val - Catherines Palace (and specifically the AMBER ROOM) is on my "must see" list!!

Originally posted by Barbara
The town to go to from Warnemuende is Rostock, a historical town that has been in the sea trade since the middle ages. Warnemuende is the port of Rostock and is also quite nice. There are beaches- but it will be too cold for any bathing:D There must be public transport from W.-R. It's not more than 15 km- there must be busses.

Berlin is too far for one day and not really close (like 200 km).

I wish I could go on that journey- it sounds gorgeous! St. Petersburg must be simply great.

Thanks Barbara - we will look into spending the day in Rostock - sounds lovely! The cruise are organising day trips to Berlin, but they are REALLY expensive and as you said, a VERY long trip just for a few hours!!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-11-2005, 09:11 AM
did Moscow and Leningrad (as it was then) shortly after leaving school - the whole place is amazing! Just walking along the streets is a sightseeing tour in itself! Have a great time

PS If you get a chance to go to the Tivoli in Denmark.......

Albea
08-11-2005, 10:47 AM
You don't need to book a tour of St. Petersburg to really see the city. It's one of the most beautiful places on this planet. When the boat docks, you can take off on your own, get a map, it's an easy city to walk around. The Amber Room is in Tsarkoye Selo, that may be a bit out of your way. However, the Hermitage Museum is right in the center of the city, in a magnificent square.
The most amazing thing about St. Petersburg is that it was almost totally destroyed by the 900 days siege of the Germans in WW II. It has been restored to the last gold leaf. Hats off to the Russian for preserving the beauty of their heritage.
I'm sure you could take some form of public transportation to go to Peterhof, the tzars palace by the Baltic. Spectacular !!!
Be ready for long lines at the museums, but worth every minute spent.
Have fun and take pictures.;)

Barbara
08-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Rostock and Warnemuende are well connected by public transport. There is a train and a S-Bahn (how do I say?, a tube but in the outer areas not subterranean ;))

It can only be a few Euros to get from W. to Rostock.

I go looking for a picture of the waterfront

www.hansesail.com/images/stadthafen.jpg

Randi
08-15-2005, 03:18 AM
Julie, take a look at the links I sent and let me know if there's anything in particular you're interested in. I'm thinking we could come and pick you up from the ship and then go and see a few places right away. Then, have lunch in a restaurant with typical danish "smørrebrød" (open sandwishes). :) Perhaps "Kanalcafeen" or "Cafe Petersborg". You can see pictures and prices on the danish version of the site: www.aok.dk

In the center of Copenhagen there are lots of places to go, but of course, it will depend on the weather what we do. I except and hope it's warm and sunny! :)

You're travelling now, but I hope you can log on from the ship - I'll also be checking e-mail al the time.

We WILL be down to pick you up from the ship! :)

Randi
08-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Bump!

Sus
08-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Randi
Bump!

...What are you doing, Randi???!!! "Bump"????

Love,
Sus and Bella

Barbara
08-25-2005, 04:54 AM
*bump*;)

Randi
08-25-2005, 05:33 AM
Sus, I'm just bumping the thread up, so Julie doesn't have to search for too long if she does log on to PT from the ship. ;)

See you later! :)

finn's mom
08-25-2005, 06:40 AM
I hope she gets to log in and say hi from the ship, that would be cool!

Sus
08-25-2005, 04:29 PM
... So that's is what it means! And here I was, thinking that you fell off the chair!! :D

Love,
Sus and Bella