PDA

View Full Version : Build A Bear

anna_66
08-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Have you ever done it?

I decided I wanted to get my niece a gift that would be totally special and personalized just for her. She has lots of reatives and friends and is never in need of anything. So what do you get the girl that has everything...A Build A Bear:D

I really had alot of fun doing it, it's a neat experience even for an adult.
You get to put your very own little heart in it. You rub it over your heart for lots of love, over your forehead to make her smart, over your musles to make her strong, over your ear to make her a good listner and I turned round and round and round so she'd know how to chase her tail! I also chose her clothes (undies and all!).
If you ever get the chance to make your own, I highly recommend it!

Here's a few pictures I took...

Bon really liked Sandra (that's what I named her):D
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid181/pccb35ebeb45a1ecff2e7caf735bdbfac/f2e0fd83.jpg
She even comes with a birth certificate and a little house to come home in!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid181/p7710ba79adbe3eceaeec2288dbf84148/f2e0fd8d.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid181/pad2087aafb261d800dbd5b0bf52d8bfa/f2e0fd62.jpg
Think she'll like it? She'll be two.

furrykidsmother
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
That is so adorable and it sounds like a lot of fun!! I don't have any little children left in my family, but I sure would like one for me!!

Samantha Puppy
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
I had never heard of it until Josh gave me a redneck bear a couple Christmases ago. He had a flannel shirt on and jeans, with boots. When you pressed one paw, Josh had recorded himself going "Siiiiix!? That's MAH numburrrrrr!" (think old Mark Martin (NASCAR driver) commercial). On the other paw, when you pressed it, you heard Josh go (in a really cheesy southern accent) "Seis!? Esta es me nuuuumeroh!" (From reading that, you'd think we were huge NASCAR, Mark Martin fans... truth is, we hate NASCAR!) I almost peed my pants. Since then, I go there every chance I get - even though they're a little on the pricey side.

Josh and I are going to go there in the next few months to make our son's first bear. :)

Jadapit
08-10-2005, 01:44 PM
I have never done it but a friend i meant online bulit me one and sent it to me. I love him he is awesome. If we had a build a bear around here i would do it in a heartbeat. Sandra is adorable!:D

Laura's Babies
08-10-2005, 01:46 PM
I think that is the cutiest thing I ever heard of and saw! What a novel idea!!

I think she will love it but is to young to understand all the things you did as you told here. (heart, ears, muscles ect.)

cali
08-10-2005, 01:46 PM
never heard of it, what is it exactly?

momoffuzzyfaces
08-10-2005, 01:50 PM
I've got a monkey, Mario, that slick made for me at Build a Bear in Canada. She and the CA BBQ gang sent him to me as a surprise. I sure love him!!

I don't know if he has a heart but he does have a belly button!:D

animal_rescue
08-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Oh I got a bear a couple of years back*don't know what happened to her* but it was so much fun! My friends are actually planning on doing it again, we're probably going to take our neices and little sisters with us, too.

edit: you can go to their website buildabear.com

luvofallhorses
08-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Aww, I think she'll LOVE it! :) If we had a build a bear place around here, I'd love to do it, it looks like lots of fun! :)

slick
08-10-2005, 01:57 PM
I don't know if he has a heart
Actually, he does. Just before he was sewn up, the attendant gave me a little red heart. I was told to hold it tightly in my hand and make a wish for the recipient. Then the heart was placed inside and he's put together. :)

Oh and btw, the build a bear workshop is only 15 min. from where I live. It's hard to visit the mall without stopping in. :o

GoldenRetrLuver
08-10-2005, 02:01 PM
I have one. :o My cousin had her birthday party there about a year ago and I "made" a Golden Retriever that barks when you press his paw. Personally, I think it's a little corny (the whole process you go through when "making" a bear or any other animal), but I can definitely see why little kids would love it. :p

momoffuzzyfaces
08-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by slick

Actually, he does. Just before he was sewn up, the attendant gave me a little red heart. I was told to hold it tightly in my hand and make a wish for the recipient. Then the heart was placed inside and he's put together. :)

Oh and btw, the build a bear workshop is only 15 min. from where I live. It's hard to visit the mall without stopping in. :o Aw! How sweet that Mario has a heart!!!

If we had a build a bear place here, I'd be there all the time!:D

Queen of Poop
08-10-2005, 02:45 PM
She'll love it!!

We took my step-daughter to build-a-bear for her 12th birthday party and it was awesome. Her mom didn't participate at the time so when her mom's birthday came around I took both kids (her kids, my step kids) and the mom and we all built bears for her birthday. Great fun was had by all.

Muddy4paws
08-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Snap!! lol I got the same one!! I love that shop its always full of kids and im 17 :o but I still love it, heres mine :D

Shes called Puddles

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Fortunefaded120/Puddles.jpg

finn's mom
08-10-2005, 03:16 PM
She's going to love that! What a pretty little pink poodle. I have never done one myself, but, I've been there and watched. And, I think my mother has done it. I really think it's a great idea, and, you pay more for the experience than the animal. I think they're great!

Lexi_Lover
08-10-2005, 03:18 PM
LOL, my cousin's birthday is coming u, where do you get these? Or where can I find a store?

Anna that is so neat! :D I think she'll love it!

jesse_3
08-10-2005, 03:20 PM
That is so cute! I have one that looks like Jesse! I got the basketball player outfit too!!!

I think that your niece will LOVE it!-She will cherish it forever.

Steph and Jes

finn's mom
08-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
LOL, my cousin's birthday is coming u, where do you get these? Or where can I find a store?

I've always seen the stores in the mall. :)

sirrahbed
08-10-2005, 03:26 PM
I just made my first and it was for new grandson Tyler - he even flew over to Japan with mein the cabin of course! I had a GREAT time building it and I think that pink poodle is PERFECT for a two year old girl! (or a 50 year old grandma;) ) In Barney (the bear for Tyler) I recorded a 15 second thingie that said I love him and then kissie sounds:o His other grandma - Carol - persianmom, told me about the place and showed me how to make one, and she made one too.
Anna- your niece will LOVE your gift I know!!:D Wait until she finds the cute undies and all:)

catnapper
08-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Thats really cute! I think she'll love it!

My daughter made one of those when she was in Las Vegas at New Years.

Edwina's Secretary
08-10-2005, 04:06 PM
A few years ago I had a participant in a class I was teaching who worked at Build A Bear headquarters. I had never heard of them so she gave me gift certificates and I went to the closest one. I made Don a cat....a yellow one. I was a bit embarrassed doing it and bringing it home on the plane but it was fun.

Some of Edwina's costumes come from there.

All corporate employees have "Bear" in their title....the CEO is Chief Bear Officer, etc.... really interesting company -- started and still run by a woman....

That's a very cute one you made!

Suki Wingy
08-10-2005, 04:16 PM
I have done a Dalmatian and a Golden Retreiver.

Anita Cholaine
08-10-2005, 04:23 PM
This is soooo cute!! I'd love to make a dachshund, it's a shame that there aren't Build a bear here...:(

anna_66
08-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Debbie, Sandra has my voice recorded in one paw saying
"Allison, Aunt Anna & Uncle Mark love you very much. Have a happy birthday!" and the other paw is a puppy bark:D

I didn't think it was corney but yes, I can say I felt a little silly when the lady kept making me turn circles, until she finally told me why:p

True, it is a little pricey...but Allison is so worth it!

And I know she's a little young to understand what and all I did to make it, but I thought I'd type it all up on some pretty paper and laminate it, then when she's old enough to understand her mom can tell her how much she means to me and what I did for her:D

I think the hardest thing was trying to decide how I wanted to dress her and what I wanted her name to be!

Glad I'm not the only "older" kid around here:D:D

neko1
08-10-2005, 04:41 PM
I love Build-a-bear (I'm such a geek:p ) I have an orange kitty named Cinnamon, but she had an unfortunate incident with my real orange kitty Pumpkin. (Pumpkin ate Cinnamon's whiskers off:o )

They have a new white kitty that I want to make..:)

swimma253
08-10-2005, 04:45 PM
I have 3! :o I think its a great idea! :) They are a fun gift! :p

captain
08-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
I have done a Dalmatian

Do you have a pic of it???

Anna,

I have never even seen those here?
R they expensive?
Can I order on-line?

Oh, oh, I would love it ....... what a great idea
Off to find the website ...........

Love
Big Kid (Michelle :D)

anna_66
08-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by captain
Anna,

R they expensive?
Can I order on-line?

Oh, oh, I would love it ....... what a great idea
Off to find the website ...........

Love
Big Kid (Michelle :D)
Hey Big Kid;) Did you find the website? You can order online, just don't think you'd get to do the stuff I did (and by that I mean feel silly spinning around chasing my tail;))
And as for expensive, honestly I didn't think it was too bad. Mine was $58 and some change.

Neko, I seen the new white kitty and almost got that instead of the puppy it was so cute! Oh and I'm sorry to hear about Cinnamon's whiskers:p

captain
08-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Anna,

YES - I found the site, and they have 2 store in the WHOLE OF AUSTRALIA - based up in Sydney. (I was up in Sydney on Monday and Tuesday, DAMN - wish I had known then)

I can order online apparently, so will have to investigate. Although, I think I would love to go to the store!!!!!

I am certain I will end up chasing my tail too ......... :D

swimma253
08-10-2005, 07:14 PM
If you cant get to a store... I know you can order them off the website. Although, the fun is in personally making the bear. :p They have a couple different breeds of dogs too, and some part of the price (of the dog) goes to the SPCA. :)

Cinder & Smoke
08-10-2005, 07:49 PM
;)

Find a Build a Bear "workshop" (store) in the USA >>>

Build a Bear Store Location Page (http://www.buildabear.com/aboutUs/contactUs/findastore/)

:D

Killearn Kitties
08-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Your niece is going to love it! What a cute gift. :D

king2005
08-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Cool. Looks like I might be moving to Mississauga Ont. & they have a Build a Bear store there! YAY
Thats the only one in Ontario.

Almita
08-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Aww that is cute I think she will love it!!!

RobiLee
08-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Awww, Anna! Sandra is just adorable! I loved hearing about how you made her and you have no idea how I hate that I couldn't make it there to watch you chase your tail;). Probably a good thing that I wasn't because I have a feeling I would have wound up buying one too...lol. Allison is going to love it! A very special present for a very special girl. Have fun on Sunday and when you give that girl one of many hugs make sure you give her a little extra squeeze from me.

P.S....Gotta a little nervous when I saw the Bonmonster near Sandra;):p :D

dukedogsmom
08-12-2005, 09:15 AM
I have a horse someone got for me. I went online and bought it a nightgown with matching slippers(teddy bears). I would love to do it in person. I think it would be a lot of fun and there's one in Orlando. I've been eyeing the Dalmation for some time now.

mruffruff
08-12-2005, 01:55 PM
How neat!

I didn't know what my granddaughter would like for her 10th birthday this Tuesday. Thanks for the idea.

Zany_girlie
08-12-2005, 02:00 PM
How could she not lilke it it is so adorable!!!!!!!!!:)

*LabLoverKEB*
08-12-2005, 06:26 PM
I have done it twice!:o :o I have a little brown teddy bear that I LOVE, and and Black Labrador.:D
Anna, that is sooo sweet of you, to do that for your niece's birthday!:) I think she'll just aodre it!

Chica
08-12-2005, 09:51 PM
SUCH A CUTE IDEA!!!I love it!!!;)

Corinna
08-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Krista we have one here in Kalispell. Freinds have gone in but I make my own so I really think they are too pricey.

gemini9961
08-12-2005, 11:24 PM
I made a golf bear for my fiancee. It was fun doing it and what kid doesn't like stuffed animals?? She'll love it.

NoahsMommy
08-13-2005, 12:17 AM
That's so cute, Anna!!! I bet she'll ADORE it! :)

I love Build a Bear! I have an orange kitty (named Noah), the Halloween Kitty from a few years ago and a bunny.

They're so fun to make and dress. :)

Sirrahsim
08-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Tyler has three:o :D :D One he got from Grammy(persianmom) a couple weeks after we found out that we were pregnant. Another was made for him by his Grandma(sirrahbed) and the third was also made by his Grammy.
I have pictures of the first and second ones:) He started to get grouchy after the two outfit changes so I'll get pics of him with the last one a little later :)
"Squishy"
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid181/pd63f8f3452f0dfe1c78eb2e65ed78bc4/f2d5a806.jpg
He lost his balance and was giggling all of the way down
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid181/p32e4e643d2271875dce68ce3c6c298f3/f2d5a7de.jpg
Barney (the name I used to call me oldest brother Bryan)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid181/p372187daa562052362901115ae47eaa6/f2d5a7b9.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid181/p4ad9b32dc6e0c4b8281297c44a00a08c/f2d5a7c5.jpg

sirrahbed
08-14-2005, 08:50 AM
:D How fun to see Tyler with the bear I made him and even dressed alike!!! Thanks Missy! Will check back for that last one from his Grammy because it is so adorable!!:D

IRescue452
08-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Too expensive. $40 for a stuffed animal! We do a similar thing at home for my sister's birthday. I go to the thrift store and buy some doll clothes for ten cents a piece and then buy the right sized stuffed animals and let the kids pick their own animal and accessories. Much cheaper.

dogzr#1
08-14-2005, 10:01 AM
I have gotten one before. Mine is a little beagle named Mindy. I got her in Houston so I don't think I will get another one anytime soon. I really love her as she is stuffed to just the right fluffiness. (although she did cost $40)

sirrahbed
08-14-2005, 10:14 AM
The prices are not really that bad for something special I don't think. There are so many empty "skins" to choose from - a variety of bears and other animals, too. Then, they will stuff them while you watch - with the amount of firmness you choose - I like mine very soft:) I loved being able to record my voice on a little device that was placed into my bear's paw to squeeze! You can also choose pre-recorded music or other sounds if you want. The workers then sew the bear closed. The clothing is what really drives the cost up if you want something really fancy. I believe the bear I made for Tyler was under $30 with a little tee-shirt and jean shorts. Then, you choose a name, register and print out the personal "birth certificate" on a computer. If you ever lose the bear and someone brings back it to a Build-a-Bear store - they will contact you:)

I think I will have one made for my hubby, too!! It will be a cute romantic one! Everyone loves stuffed animals I think!

Anna - they did not have me do any of the twirling around, etc;) I just put a kiss on the little heart that was added to my bear's stuffing.

Twisterdog
08-14-2005, 08:00 PM
My son made a leopard ... or a cheetah, I don't remember ... when he was younger. He still has it on his shelf, even though he's fourteen now, and all his other stuffed animals and "little kid stuff" long ago went away. He likes it because he and I made it together. That is SO worth the price to me. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
08-14-2005, 08:07 PM
My sister-in-law used to work there. I made a bunny a few years ago when she worked there. It was fun!
I sleep with it every night.

anna_66
08-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Well we gave it to her today at her birthday party and she loved it! She really got a kick out of my voice telling her how much her uncle Mark and I loved her (that there was worth the $58 I spent on it:D).

Missy, those pictures are just tooooo cute!!!!!

It's so much fun making them, one of these days I hope her and I can go and make one together!

cyber-sibes
08-14-2005, 10:55 PM
I've never heard of buildabear before, but they sure look cute! I love the little "I'm going home" box, too. ***sigh****lucky kids!

rizzy
08-14-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm glad to hear she loved it! I figured she would when I first read this thread. I have a build a bear too. She is a lab and surprisingly her name is Sally lol! I dont know for sure where her gift certificate is but it was really fun when I made mine too lol.

jenfer
08-14-2005, 11:20 PM
I was at that store today, seeing the guy adding the fluff inside and asking the kids to jump and do all those things with the hearts. It seems fun. :) Maybe I will get one for myself... but what if Gigi wants to claim it as hers????????;)

Crikit
08-14-2005, 11:28 PM
I have 3 or 4 and really have to stay away from the store because it's ever so tempting to go and make some more.

cloverfdx
08-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Aww Anna that is so sweet, i am sure Allison will love it.

*Excited* Michelle they have one in Westfield shopping centre down Morabbin (Spl?) way, it is not a shop but a stall they have. I am not sure of the prices, as we were in a hurry. And they had a Dalmatian ;).

captain
08-15-2005, 05:05 PM
RHI!

Thanks, I don't work far from Moorabbin ........... might have to leave work early .......:D