PDA

View Full Version : Strange Cat Behavior: Green Bean Bandit

christa
08-10-2005, 12:40 PM
OK, I've got a new one for ya'll.

My in-laws brought us some fresh veggies from the garden . . . a sack of corn, cucumbers & greenbeans. I had them in the fridge and I noticed that Brodie kept sniffing the fridge, more than usual and acted scared every time I opened the door.

Come to find out, he's OBSESSED with Green Beans!!!

I threw one down in the floor, near Josie . . . she sniffed it . . . he ran over, got it in his mouth and growled, LOL . . . carried it around . . . played with it . . . He loves the things!

Then when I went to snap the beans & clean them, he wouldn't leave me alone. He WANTED ANOTHER!!! I had to stand at the sink and mess with them becasue he wouldn't leave me alone.

I thought it was funny.

JenBKR
08-10-2005, 12:58 PM
LOL too funny! My cats won't go NEAR veggies!

Laura's Babies
08-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Rie Rie's Annie is like that about green beans.. They always plant a small garden and green beans are always included.. Annie can NOT resist! She slaps them all over the house, plays and plays with them... She DARE not put them on the kitchen counter and turn her back!

momoffuzzyfaces
08-10-2005, 01:45 PM
LOL! Seems there's a lot of play value in green beans.

One of my cats, Luke, is that way about grapes!!! Loves the things!:D

furrykidsmother
08-10-2005, 01:56 PM
What a nice, inexpensive and healthy toy!

christa
08-10-2005, 02:30 PM
JenBKR: Neither will Josie! She HATES her fruits & veggies! LOL

Laura: I'm glad to hear of another Green Bean Freak!!!

Yes, it is a VERY good toy . . . only thing I'm concerned with . . . He broke the bean in half last night and I've yet to find the other half!

I have a feeling that I'm going to be finding a moldy fuzzed over green bean under something someday! :rolleyes:

mina'smomma
08-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Mina is that way about pineapple. Haven't tried green beans though.

Randy_K
08-10-2005, 02:51 PM
That sure puts a new spin on the lint-covered cat toy recovered from behind the refrigerator...

catlover4ever
08-10-2005, 03:05 PM
My RB Tony used to do the same thing with Strawberries. He loved to take them and run around the house with them.

catnapper
08-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by christa
He broke the bean in half last night and I've yet to find the other half!

I have a feeling that I'm going to be finding a moldy fuzzed over green bean under something someday! :rolleyes:
Oh well, he Christened the new house already! :D

DJFyrewolf36
08-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Interesting...does he eat the green beans or just play with them?

Remus is facinated with anything plastic. Credit cards, milk jug rings etc. He will climb through trash to get to milk jug rings and caps. He's obsconded with an ATM card amongst other things. He hides everything too. Someday, I'll find his "stash" :D and get all my lost stuff back!!

catmandu
08-10-2005, 03:41 PM
I CANT SAY,THAT THE FOUND CATS,HAVE EVER BEEN ALL THAT INTRESTED,IN ANY FORM,OF VEGETATION,WHAT SO EVER.
CHEESE YES,POTATO CHIPS,SOMETIMES SCRAPPY 2,AND THE MOOSE,WILL CHEW,ON A COUPLE.
FRENCH FRIES,SOMETIMES THE MEEZERS,WILL EAT ONE,OR TWO.
BUT VEGETABLES!! NEVER!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture599.jpg

kuhio98
08-10-2005, 03:47 PM
I used to have a dog who loved green beans. He would also go collect the chewing gum we spit out. He'd chew it for a while and then spit it out himself.

Princess Kuhio loved canned mushrooms. She didn't much care for fresh ones. But, if I opened a can of them, she wanted to drink all the juice. :eek:

Sus
08-10-2005, 04:48 PM
... you may want to check with your vet or on the internet about cats and green beans! According to the Danish Food Counsil raw green beans can be toxic to children! The toxins are destroyed when the beans a cooked/boiled.

I had a cat once - Pepper - who adored boiled green beans, and he actually ate them! ;)

Bella doesn't have very many peculiar eating habits - although she can be pursuaded to eat a small piece of orange every once in a while... :)

Love,
Sus and the Bellacat

christa
08-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Sus
... you may want to check with your vet or on the internet about cats and green beans! According to the Danish Food Counsil raw green beans can be toxic to children! The toxins are destroyed when the beans a cooked/boiled.

I had a cat once - Pepper - who adored boiled green beans, and he actually ate them! ;)

Bella doesn't have very many peculiar eating habits - although she can be pursuaded to eat a small piece of orange every once in a while... :)

Love,
Sus and the Bellacat

I did a little online research and from what I can find, raw green beans, along with another long list of raw veggies, are good in a cat's diet.

momcat
08-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Groucho loves to grab strawberries for a round of kitty soccer solitaire. Several years ago we had a dog that LOVED broccoli! Here I thought my son was eating it when he was sneaking it to the dog under the table. It got to the point that I had to make extra just for the dog.....

Lightning SuperCat
08-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Lightning loves frozen green beans, frozen corn, grapes, apples, and almost any other fruit or veggie. :rolleyes: :p :D

dukedogsmom
08-11-2005, 07:15 AM
My mom had a Persian that just loved cooked green beans. He wouldn't eat the bean part, just the outside. I guess they're good for them. Wonder how he'd like them cooked? I think it's funny he was guarding them.

Rie Rie
08-11-2005, 07:38 AM
Mom is right about my Annie loving green beans. She doesn't eat them, just plays with them. I've found them under the couch, dried and looking like dead dried lizards. TOO FUNNY!!!!