PDA

View Full Version : Lingering odor

shais_mom
03-01-2002, 01:04 AM
For many of you who read my post in Dog Health about Keegan.
PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8375

You know that she had major diarrhea and vomiting in her crate Sat night. I have one of those durable hard plastic crates with slots on the sides and a metal door. Pretty heavy duty. The problem is everytime I go to let her out I think she has had another accident b/c the odor of it is still there. I thought about bleach watering it when I was cleaning it out Sat night but b/c I had to put her back in it when I cleaned it out, I absolutely couldn't. I cleaned it out with orange glo and lysol cleaning solution but its still there. The only thing I could think of using is baking soda.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-01-2002, 01:25 AM
Poor Keegan:( . Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but I hope she is feeling better soon.

yorkster
03-01-2002, 01:47 AM
When my dog Scout :cool: had her eye surgery, she had an accident in her crate. I used apple cider vinegar & warm water......it seemed to work pretty good.
I had to scrub it a couple of times though, and then let it dry thoughrly afterwards. :D

It's worth a try, and the vinegar is safe for your dog.

Angels3
03-01-2002, 05:15 AM
Don't laugh...but a good way to get doggie mess odours from lingering on your hands & arms after cleaning them up, is to wash yourself with toothpaste.

So it could be worth using toothpaste to clean the crate. Buy the cheapest brand you can find because the basic ingredients are much the same. Then you can be generous in how much you use.

There's also special products to be found in supermarkets among the room deodorant spray products. They aim at neutralizing odours...not just spraying 'nice smells' over the top of 'bad smells'. One has a brand name 'Nil Odour'...others have written on the can that they neutralize smells. Look for the ones that include cleaning up pet messes on the directions on the can. These neutralizing products cost more than the regular room sprays.

I'd thoroughly wash the crate with toothpaste first. Then when it's dry, spray it with one of the 'bad smell' neutralizers which are suitable for pet messes.
Marie

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-01-2002, 07:22 AM
Angel, that's what I use to get doggy smells ouf my arms and hands when I get back from the shelter. It works!

Does the crate come apart, Staci? Take it apart when you clean it. Tha way you can get in where the top and bottom meet. Plus you can clean it better without having to crawl up in it. And it dries better and faster!

mugsy
03-01-2002, 07:37 AM
I hope Keegan is feeling better...I know that can be nerve racking and very tiring when one of your babies is sick. What we have used to get rid of animal odors is called Simple Solution and we get it at Petsmart. It does a really good job. We used it in the carpet cleaner until we ripped up all of our carpet. Good luck and let us know how it all works out!

Mocha
03-01-2002, 08:59 AM
Yes, Simple Solution is pretty good.. I use it to clean up after my furkids. Let it dry out properly before putting your sweetie back in though..

Dixieland Dancer
03-01-2002, 09:10 AM
I have used Baking Soda very successfully.

Logan
03-01-2002, 09:27 AM
Staci, I have never had a crate, so I'm no expert, but it sounds like you are getting some good ideas here. How about some good old sunshine too? Put the thing outside, open it up if you can, and let it air out after you clean it with toothpaste, baking soda (hey, how about baking soda toothpaste??? :o ), or whatever you choose?

I'm glad she's getting better. Love that little Keegan for me, please. :)

sammi
03-01-2002, 09:39 AM
Did you get to try the mouth wash/toothpaste yet? I am glad that others also use that ( see I'm not weird) it really works.

jackiesdaisy1935
03-01-2002, 10:22 AM
I go along with Logan, every now and then we put our pillows out in the sun and take their crates apart and put them out in the sun too. It helps a lot. Makes them smell nice and fresh, that is after you clean it. Lot of good ideas here, I'm sure they will work.
Hope Keegan is feeling better now.
Jackie

shais_mom
03-01-2002, 11:05 AM
Yes, the top of it comes off. I would have never been able to clean it Sat night if it didn't!
Ha ha Logan I was actually thinking about baking soda toothpaste!
I am going to try to do it tomorrow. We will be away from home Sat night and I can't let it air out over night.
Thanks everyone!

mugsy
03-01-2002, 11:53 AM
Good luck and let us know what happens!

shais_mom
03-03-2002, 10:30 PM
Thanks everyone! I went and bought a cheap tube of toothpaste and took apart her crate and scrubbed it from top to bottom. I could tell a difference immediatly! It worked so well I emptied Kylie's litter box and scrubbed it out too! One of my friend's dog rolled in a big pile of chicken poop from the chicken factory and she said she reeks. I told her to wash her with mouth wash, she may have to do it twice or so but she said she said she was going to do that! I couldn't believe how great it worked.