PDA

View Full Version : Baby Mice... HELP ANYONE!

LuvGold00
08-08-2005, 08:25 PM
I have 2-3 day old baby mice, can anyone give me advice on how to keep them alive???????? Please!

jesse_3
08-09-2005, 12:35 AM
You posted this in General, right?

I told you wrong, but, try to get some type of formula for mice or rodents, goats milk even, and reasearch online. I will take a look and see what I find.

Take the to the vet ASAP!!!

Steph and Jes

jesse_3
08-09-2005, 12:41 AM
The kittens will need to be kept warm and fed very regularly - I have no experience of this personally but would imagine that if the babies' eyes have not yet opened, they will need to be fed at least hourly, night and day, since baby mice suckle their mother almost constantly for the first two weeks (certainly whenever they get the chance!). You may be able to stretch out the intervals as they get older, but in the early days, their stomachs will be tiny so the best way to feed them is as their mother would - little and often.

You will also need to encourage baby mice to empty their bowels, as their mother would - by gently rubbing their tummies and genitals with a warm, damp cloth - this is a replacement for the mother's tongue. If you don't do this the babies will die as waste products will build up inside them.

They are called pups or kittens, just so you know. I will keep looking for more info on them.

Steph and Jes

jesse_3
08-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Here is a good site, better than the one up there:
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/orphans.htm

Steph and Jes

Good luck, my prayers are with you all!

LuvGold00
08-09-2005, 12:51 AM
THANK YOU STEPH!

I've gotten them some kitten milk replacer, and have them in a kritter keeper with lots of cut up t-shirts and a lamp over the top. I think they have been eating, it looks like they are. And have been going to the bathroom after every meal. One of them pooped for me a few min ago, never thought I would be excited to see mouse poop!

I'm not sure what I am going to do with them while I am at work tomorrow though, I can't come home every 2 hours to feed mice.... :(

jesse_3
08-09-2005, 01:04 AM
Could you somehow bring them to work? Explain to your boss what happened, or, can you find someone else to care for them?

You are welcome, and I am glad that you are getting them to eat and poop!:D It is over-whelming, isn't it?

Keep me updated, please.

Steph and Jes

Prayers and hope are still comming! God Bless you for what you are doing!

LuvGold00
08-09-2005, 01:07 AM
Very overwhelming. I have a few dogs boarding here this week too....:eek: :eek:

Going to try to get 2 hours sleep before it's time for them to eat again.

I'll have to take some pictures tomorrow, thanks again!

LuvGold00
08-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Well, I took the day off from work so I can stay home and feed these guys around the clock.
I was so excited to see one of them really eat that I think I may have over fed him. You can see the milk in his belly through his skin, I hope I didn't give him too much.

jesse_3
08-09-2005, 01:06 PM
That was nice of you to take one day off for them! I don't think that it will harm him if you got a little too much in his belly;) I really wish that I could help more, but this is all I can do for now. It may seem like he is too full also, but, I fed a baby racoon, and I thought that I over-fed her, but, she just had a really good and full belly!!!

Steph and Jes