PDA

View Full Version : ~!~! Help ~!~ Baby Rodents!!?!?!

LuvGold00
08-08-2005, 04:15 PM
I know this should be in Pet General, but I need some help asap.

Long story short some kind of rodent gave birth to 3 babies under the seat of my fiance's motorcycle, he removed them and placed them in a cardboard box with papertowls, but we don't know if the mother has come back to take care of them.

What should I do? Is there any shot of them living if I take them in? Can I take care of them? HELP!!!

jesse_3
08-08-2005, 04:22 PM
The momma won't come back if your fiance has touched them. I would take them to the vet ASAP!!!!!

What kind of rodent is it?-a mole, a rat, or what? If I were you, I would give them a couple drops of whole milk or something until you can reach the vet.

Make sure to keep them warm and safe from any animals.

Good Luck, and my prayers are with you and the babies!
Steph and Jes

ps. I would post this in pet general also, you will get more help!-everywhere on PT, and in you siggy, leave a quick note!

BitsyNaceyDog
08-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by jesse_3
The momma won't come back if your fiance has touched them. I would take them to the vet ASAP!!!!!

That isn't true, she could still come back. She won't know where to find them though if you moved them from their nest.

If I were you, I would give them a couple drops of whole milk or something until you can reach the vet.

Don't give them any kind of cow's milk, whole or otherwise. It's better for someone inexperienced to feed them nothing then to feed them and do it improperly. If you are going to feed them anything though feed them either goats milk or some of that orphaned baby animal formula you can get at a pet store.

Make sure to keep them warm and safe from any animals.

Keep them in a shoe box with a towel or t-shirt. if you have a hot water bottle put that in there to keep them warm (but not too hot).

Get them to a vet right away, don't attempt to raise them on your own if you have never been taught how.

jesse_3
08-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Every time my sisters have even tried to touch a baby animal, the momma has never come back:confused:

I was only thinking of the milk to keep them hydrated, sorry....I guess I need to research more before I blab. Would a drop of water work, just to keep them hydrated and alive???

Terribly sorry once again...Steph and Jes

LuvGold00
08-08-2005, 04:56 PM
I also posted in Pet General, and I just got here to see them... They are SOOO small, I think they are mice.... I called my vet and they are going to call me back.

I'm going to go take some picture of them... Poor babies.

LuvGold00
08-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Here's a photo of them, it's large, but I thought maybe some could ID what kind of rodent they are?