PDA

View Full Version : Digging

Traci
08-08-2000, 03:04 PM
Ok, I know what you're thinking what dog hasn't started digging at one point or another? Right. Well we have a Siberian Husky (Nikko) he is a male 2 1/2 yrs old. Our problem is, he has just recently started digging again. He was doing so good for at least 2 years, (in the beginning when he was a puppy he dug out from the backyard) and now he has reverted back to his old ways. He digs out almost every day now. Fortunately we trained him not to leave the yard, but it's still a little upsetting that when we do come home he has dug out again.

Any suggestions on how to keep a pretty hyper dog contained during the day would be great. confused

Thanks.

------------------
Traci

dogncatluvr
08-08-2000, 07:16 PM
How about a dog run?

Traci
08-09-2000, 03:06 PM
Thanks for your reply suggesting a dog run, however, I guess maybe my question was not clear enough. Nikko did just fine in our backyard for well over a year, (never trying to get out of the yard) he just recently started digging again. My question is, do dogs go through phases like humans do? Could Nikko be going through his teenage years? Rebelling? I guess that was what I was aiming more for. Sorry if I was a little unclear in my message before.

Thanks,

dogncatluvr
08-09-2000, 06:21 PM
My dogs have certainly gone through stages of rebellion, but usually around 8 to 16 months old. I considered those the teenage years http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif
I have heard/read somewhere that the "northern" breeds do things like dig themselves a den for the night (usually in the snow, I guess). So it may just be instinct for Nikko. Maybe you could find out about this? Or someone else may actually know if this is really true? Good luck anyways!

Kim
08-10-2000, 03:28 PM
I have a 13 year old mutt puppy (best dog EVER!) who started digging about 2 years ago. The vet told me that when dogs get old, they often do not want to die around their owners and that her time was probably short. Well, she is still here, a little sleepier, but still a joy. She STILL digs, but I think it is because the ground is so much cooler under there! Also, she is blind, and goes by scent, so maybe she is looking for something she cant see! Good luck on your problem. So far, nothing has worked on my baby. Unfortunately for her, I have choosen to tether her so she can not run when she is outside. I do this not only for my peace of mind, but also for her safety. One thing to try is placing your doggies droppings where it is digging. They say that helps....Good luck! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Traci
08-10-2000, 04:22 PM
Thanks for both of your replies, I was wondering if it wasn't just his breed. It just puzzled me when he all of a sudden started digging again.

My husband just started putting Nikko's droppings where he's been digging and so far so good. Maybe thats the answer......we'll see.

Thanks again for your replies. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Sirannon
08-26-2000, 05:05 AM
Okay, here's the thing with digging. It could be many reasons why he just started up again. First, is he neutered? If in-season females are around that is sure to spur that wanderlust. Even if that is not the case...Siberians are notorious for digging to China.

If he is just digging to ease boredom then providing him with plenty of daily activity and mental stimulation is needed. Stuffed Kongs, Buster Cubes etc. Plenty of exercise.
This could be and "escaping" issue or a "digging" issue, I'm not sure if you are concerned with both or not.
Has anything changed recently in your household or in the neighborhood? That could bring on a change in behavior too.

For his safety you must ensure that he remains contained in the yard. Many people dig a trench along their fences and embed some wire mesh to prevent escapes.

If he is just digging for the fun of it, consider building him a sandbox and encourage digging in there by burying toys and treats etc... It's easier to redirect this kind of behavior than to completely eliminate it.

Traci
08-30-2000, 12:27 PM
Thanks for your reply, Sirannon. I think we may have found the problem. Recently a new puppy has been added to the neighborhood, unfortunately, her owners do not keep her in their yard like they should.

I think, still not for sure, that this puppy has been coming into our yard, driving Nikko nuts to get out and play with her. Therefore, Nikko digs until he can get out to play with this puppy. Fortunately, like I mentioned before, Nikko has been trained to stay in our yard. So when we get home, thankfully, Nikko is still in the front yard just waiting for us to get home. However, there is still that fear that he will take off or worse someone will take him, (he is a very pretty dog.)

I appreciate all the suggestions, if the behaviour continues, I might try the kongs. I've heard those keep dogs busy for awhile at least.

Thanks again!!

------------------
Traci

Ilka
12-04-2000, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Traci:
Ok, I know what you're thinking what dog hasn't started digging at one point or another? Right. Well we have a Siberian Husky (Nikko) he is a male 2 1/2 yrs old. Our problem is, he has just recently started digging again. He was doing so good for at least 2 years, (in the beginning when he was a puppy he dug out from the backyard) and now he has reverted back to his old ways. He digs out almost every day now. Fortunately we trained him not to leave the yard, but it's still a little upsetting that when we do come home he has dug out again.

Any suggestions on how to keep a pretty hyper dog contained during the day would be great. confused

Thanks.

Traci,

Sibes are great diggers! Mine had stopped digging for awhile too, and just recently started up again. Her digging is minor though. If you keep your Sibe in a pen the fencing should go into the ground at least 1ft if not more.A solution would be to put concrete in the pen that way your Sibe certainly can't dig, but if there's a dog house in the pen move it away from the walls of the pen, as he/she could jump the pen. They are great escape artists, with a mind of their own. Don't know why they start doing something that they had stopped doing. That's what makes life interesting living with a Sibe. You say you have yours trained to stay in the yard, off leash??? Never Never trust a Sibe off leash!!!!!! Just like the no digging, one day, for whatever reason, your Sibe will run, never to be found!!!!That is just their nature! I currently have a Sibe too, but would never trust her off leash, just as I didn't trust my first one of leash. If given the chance, they'll run. I've spent many a day in the past, chasing my first Sibe. Some come back home on their own, some are never seen again. It's not worth the chance of loosing your dog.
You may want to check this site out, it's strictly for Siberian Husky owners. Lots of useful info that people share. http://acmepet.petsmart.com/club/bboard/husky/index.html