08-08-2005, 11:45 AM
i wonder wheather u can tell me when puppies need ther first boosters
:p

luvofallhorses
08-08-2005, 12:04 PM
at 6 weeks

Bigyummydog
08-08-2005, 12:10 PM
No fair, where's the pics? Puppies, puppies, puppies..........

Welcome to Pet Talk.

adam1985
08-08-2005, 12:26 PM
im just trying to get as much info that i can on pups cause i plan on getting me bitch to meet with a stud in the next few days this is my first time breeding dogs so i want to research as much as i can for my dogs own good. so no pics just yet will send some all being well.

do u mind me asking u a few more questions?;)

luvofallhorses
08-08-2005, 12:26 PM
ask away :)

adam1985
08-08-2005, 12:27 PM
ill try to send u a pic of my staff if i can

luvofallhorses
08-08-2005, 12:28 PM
you can attach pics here one by one :) by the way, Welcome to Pet Talk :)

adam1985
08-08-2005, 12:31 PM
how long do u need to leave it once the pups r born to switch to solid food.

luvofallhorses
08-08-2005, 12:33 PM
leave what? :confused:

adam1985
08-08-2005, 12:33 PM
thanx can u send them via mobile

adam1985
08-08-2005, 12:36 PM
how long r they on milk 4 or do u give them food as well?

luvofallhorses
08-08-2005, 12:40 PM
this might help you

http://www.pethealthcare.net/html/body_raising_puppies.html

adam1985
08-08-2005, 12:49 PM
;) thank u just one question does the bitch stop bleeding once she pregnant

luvofallhorses
08-08-2005, 12:51 PM
I have a question?

What is your reason for breeding? Do you have homes lined up for all the pups?

adam1985
08-08-2005, 01:05 PM
we have also heard we dont no weather its true is that if u let them have a litter before they get spayed it helps fastley reduces the risk of cancer.

IRescue452
08-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Welcome to PT. I don't know whee you heard that. Getting them spayed before their first heat cycle is what reduces their risk of ovarian and uterine cancers. Anytime after their first heat cycle is an increased risk of cancers. How old is your dog? She shouldn't be bred before she is two years old.

IRescue452
08-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Here's something I'd like you to read so you know what you are gettng into.
It as posted a while ago by a PTer...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And here's something I made up quite some time ago when someone asked if a breeder could make money off of 8 jack russel pups for $875 each:
Okay, let's see. $875 times 8 is $7000. Both dam and sire should be health certitified before breeding.
Hips - $30
Elbows - $25
Thyroid - $15
Heart - $15
Patellar Luxation - $15
Deafness- $15
Eyes - $17.50 (because initial registration)
That is $132.50 .

Tests for Brucellosis (disease of reproductive tract) and Bortedella (STD) - $60

$40 to submit DNA test results to AKC. DNA test - $15

Solid Gold vitamins for bitch - $40

Stud fee for a Champion dog can be as high as $2000. Let's say $1000.

Bitch must go to the vet at around day 30. Alot of breeders like to use an ultrasound--another $200.

$1000 should be put aside for an emergency C-section.

At around day 50, you have to take days off of work to be around the expentant mother 24/7 to make sure nothing goes wrong. If you have a 9-5 job and an hourly wage of $15, you will lose around $1500. Then you have to stay with the dog and puppies until the puppies go home. 8 weeks - $6720

At 3 days, the puppies will need their first vet check, and the mother will need a check too. Each puppy will get dewclaws removed ($50 per puppy -- for 8 puppies that's $400). Rat terriers have their tails docked ($10.00 per tail, that's $80). Vaccination for eight puppies, $70 each, is $560. Deworming - $400. Puppies may need to be tested for skin problems, coccidia, and parvo -- $1000.

The breeder will need supplies before all of this happens. Whelping box, whelping box heating pad, incubator, weight scale, indoor puppy pen, first aid, emergency supplies, dishes. About $1000.

Food to feed puppies for two weeks - $40.

Registration fees for AKC - $400

Puppy kit to be sent home with new owner - $20 per puppy, $160 for 8 puppies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

luvofallhorses
08-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by adam1985
we have also heard we dont no weather its true is that if u let them have a litter before they get spayed it helps fastley reduces the risk of cancer.

I would say that is not true, by breeding them and not spaying them increases their risk of cancer and please read what IRescue wrote on the second post of this page, you'll need to know all that information.

Bigyummydog
08-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by adam1985
ill try to send u a pic of my staff if i can
Ok, you're forgiven. I'm Barbra, and I am owned by MAXIMUS. He is half lab and half pittie. I really would love to see your staffie. What's her name?

Suki Wingy
08-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Yes, you heard false information. As luvofallhorses and Irescue said, it is spaying her before her first heat that reduces the chance for cancers by a lot. Second of all, we would like to see pictures because it is unadvisable and unwise to breed unless both bitch and stud have been tested and cleared on all health tests and that they are proven good examples of their breed both in temperment and conformation. You should also start evaluating potential puppy owners now if you already haven't and also start to write up a contract insisting that the puppy is spayed before the first heat cycle or neutered at approximatley 12 weeks of age.

wolfsoul
08-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Breeding greatly increases the risk of cancer, pyometra, and other diseases. Only breed if you are trying to better the breed -- otherwise, for the sake of your dog and dogs dying in shelters every day, spay your dog.

If you are set on breeding, remember to have several thousand dollars saved up. First you need to get your dog health certified for eyes and hips --- especially eyes -- eye problems are very prominent in staffies. You cant go to a vet to do either of these things. You need to find a CERF and OFA or PennHip clinic. These could be very far away from you so you may need to travel quite aways away. But if you don't do it, you'll never know what the health of the offspring is like. Next you need to find a stud whose pedigree compliments your dog's. If they are related or come from lines that don't suit eachother, you are in for alot of trouble. Your puppies could come out with defects and behaviour problems. You do NOT want a staffie with behaviour problems -- it will only continue to ruin the breed's reputation even more. The stud's reputable owner will require that your dog is a champion or close to championship in conformation and most likely another sport -- I would start your dog in conformation right away and something that staffies excel in, such as weight pulling. Once again, you'll probably need to travel very far for this, and quite often, and entry fees may be quite expensive. You or someone in your family will need to stay home from school or work for about 9 weeks in order to be there when the birth happens and to be there 24/7 after the puppies are born until they are gone to their new homes. You need to be prepared for an emergency C-section. You need to apply for your puppies' registrations. You'll need to remember to mark special dates on your calendar -- when to take your dog to the vet for ultra sounds (might be a couple hundred dollars, so be ready for that), when the puppies need their checkups and vaccinations, when to switch to kibble or RAW food, going to their new homes, etc. It's quite expensive and time consuming, and you will be judged harshly by animal actvists, so be prepared! Good luck! Welcome to PT.

jesse_3
08-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Welcome to PT! My name is Stephanie (Steph for short) and my furbabe is Jesse. Jesse is a feamle ESS with three legs!

I really hope that you have homes lined up for the puppies all ready, and if you don't, you won't send them off to a pound!

Steph and Jes

Pit Chick
08-08-2005, 05:21 PM
I posted this in his other thread that I think was supposed to be his reply in this original thread, but here it is again:

Unless your dog is of show and/or working quality which has been proven by earning titles in either:conformation, obedience, weight pull, shutzhund, agility, search & rescue, has had genetic health screenings (eyes, heart, hips, shoulders, thyroid, von Wildebrans, etc), then there really is no reason to breed. I'm glad you don't think pets should be used for breeding as much as possible for making money, but pet quality dogs should not be used for breeding at all. There are plenty of pets already in this world that don't have homes, Staffs included, and that "one time" litter will go on to have more "one time" litters of their own, therefore creating more homeless animals. For each puppy you place into a home (which could be up to 13), an equal number will die in a shelter because no one wanted them. You'll only be taking away homes from dogs that are already here. Most of the links listed below are aimed at Pit Bull breeders, but can apply to any breed and Staffs (unless this is a Staffy Bull we're talking about) are the same as Pits anyway. Please, read before you breed.

http://www.pbrc.net/breeding.html
http://www.pbrc.net/breeding2.html
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Fair/1901/chart.html
http://www.geocities.com/bluegracep...albreeding.html
http://www.learntobreed.com/
http://www.realpitbull.com/breeding.html#breed
http://www.apbtconformation.com/ReputableBreeder.htm