PDA

View Full Version : Feral Tree Squirrels (not flying ones)

snowyowlcat
08-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Has anybody got any ideas on how I could treat feral squirrels at a vet hospital or office?

Two of my porch feeders (they come up to our feet for nuts and fruit) are sick. One has a large pea-sized growth on each of her two front paws, on different "fingers", and the other one has puffy and swollen discolored ears and eye rims; we thought he was flea ridden but now are thinking it is "mange" in some shape or form. We know nothing of mange, or what causes it.

I have been wondering if I can trap them at different times and take them in for treatment.

I know they will be comfortable after the initial trapping, if I am there. They know me and know I will not hurt them. But, is this too cruel for me to do? Will they suffer too much, if I try this method of helping them? I can't do much else for them but feed them.

If I could treat them with medicine I could put it in peanut butter, they will eat it in front of me. Too large a nut or fruit, they go hide it and come back for more! (they have US trained).

Please, any ideas?? :eek: :eek:

Thanks so much for any help,

:D Sarah :D Bonkers :D Ears and :p Sweat Pea (when we see her, she's shy) finally :cool: :cool: The two Grays

Ginger's Mom
08-07-2005, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't take them to a vet, I would take them to a wildlife refuge. I would think that they would be more familiar with what type of care and after care a squirrel would need, and may even have a set up that would contain the animal if needed until it recovers, and then gradually release it again.