PDA

View Full Version : Pet Poison Helpline

sirrahbed
08-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi all. This morning my kitty Robbie ate a capsule of my medication. My vet contacted a toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline (http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/) and their quick advice saved my Robbie - he has not suffered any effects thank God! I wanted to pass this information along to you. There is a $35 fee charged to your credit card but this is less than the $50 charged at the ASPCA Poison Line. I also read information about this Helpline at Old English Sheepdogs Organization (http://www.oes.org/page2/2977~Pet_Poison_Helpline.html)

1-800-213-6680

chocolatepuppy
08-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Debbie, thanks for posting this! I hope your Robbie is doing ok. One night Lacey got my husbands pills and chewed up the bottle! :eek: Hubby was sleeping on the couch and Mandy and I were in the basement. I came upstairs, saw the pill bottle and NO pills! It was blood pressure medicine. I woke up hubby and was calling the emergency vet as I found the pills under the kitchen table! Luckily, hubby takes 2 blood pressure pills and I counted them in the other bottle (they are always filled at the same time) and only one pill was missing! Mandy takes those same pills so I knew one wouldn't hurt Lacey. The pills are in a safer place now ( we thought they were then, but Lacey is not a normal dog :rolleyes: )
This number could come in handy in case you couldn't reach a vet or emergency vet or they didn't know much about a particular pill. I hope I never need it, but am glad to have it. :)

sirrahbed
08-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Robbie is great!! Thanks:D Well....NAW-TEE like Lacey!

The capsule Robbie ate was an anticonvulsant and my vet was not familiar with what it could do to him and that is why they called the toxicologist. The medicine make ME very drowsy and uncoordinated if I take it too soon before bed so no telling what it might have done to my little kitty!:eek: They had me give him a teaspoon of peroxide right away and this made him vomit the capsule which had already come apart and partially disolve.

Now try to get a *good* pill down that cat on purpose and he's screaming like I am killing him:rolleyes:

chocolatepuppy
08-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Now try to get a *good* pill down that cat on purpose and he's screaming like I am killing him

Yes that's too true! :D Wow that could have been serious! When I called my vet about the pill she said all it would do is possibly make Lacey a little dizzy. It's not that potent of a pill. (I knew that) Now be good Robbie! ;)