PDA

View Full Version : allergies to pets / HEPA air purifiers

wolfie
08-06-2005, 07:56 PM
I knew I was allergic to hay, to mold, to pollen. But now I think I'm allergic to bunnies too! :( After holding Benjamin yesterday I got a rash all over my arms. And I have the itchy eyes, sneezing, itch throat thing too.

I'm thinking about geting a HEPA air purifier. Does anyone have one? I'm thinking about this one:
Hamilton Beach (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000050AOV/qid=1123375282/br=1-1/ref=br_lf_k_hw_1//002-9523177-8840037?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=510192)

Most of what I read online about pet allergies was for dogs and cats, and it said to bathe them once a week. I can't bathe a bunny though. Maybe going over him with a damp washcloth would help?

And I'm going to get a different hay, to see if that will help.

Is anyone else allergic to their pets?

Chica
08-06-2005, 09:32 PM
READ THIS ABOUT ALLERGIES!

Overview

Many people are allergic to pets. In people with an inherited hypersensitivity (called atopy), exposure to proteins (allergens) in an animal's saliva, dander (flakes of skin), or urine can cause an allergic reaction. Most allergies to dogs, cats, and horses are caused by hypersensitivity to proteins found in the animal's saliva and dander. Most allergies to rabbits, hamsters, and guinea pigs are caused by hypersensitivity to proteins in the animal's urine.

An allergic reaction is an immune system response. Allergy symptoms develop when these proteins are carried through the air and come in contact with the lining of the respiratory tract. A person with a severe animal allergy can experience a reaction in a public place from exposure to dander that is carried on a pet owner's clothing.

Advertising disclaimer
print this email this

Diagnosis

When an allergy to dogs, cats, or other animals is suspected, the physician takes a medical history and performs diagnostic tests (e.g., scratch tests, blood tests). If possible, the patient or the animal is temporarily removed from the environment and the environment is thoroughly cleaned to determine if symptoms improve.

Scratch tests involve applying suspected allergens and then scratching the skin to introduce the substances into the skin. These tests, which are usually performed on the forearm, upper arm, or upper back, allow several allergens to be tested at the same time. Allergic reaction (e.g., itching, redness, swelling) usually occurs within 20 minutes.

Blood tests include the radioallergosorbent test (RAST), which is used to detect an allergic reaction. In this test, a sample of blood is taken, mixed with the suspected allergen, and the level of immunoglobulin E (IgE) is measured. IgE is an antibody produced by the immune system that indicates an allergic reaction.

Treatment

The proper treatment of pet allergies requires removing the animal from the environment and avoiding contact. If the animal is not removed, the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America makes the following recommendations:

Add an air cleaner (e.g., HEPA [high efficiency particulate air] filter, electrostatic filter) to central heating and air conditioning and use the filter for at least 4 hours each day.

Bare floors (e.g., hardwood, tile) and walls are best. If carpeting is necessary, choose those with low pile and steam clean them often.

Cover bedroom vents with a filtering material (e.g., cheesecloth).

Have the pet brushed thoroughly daily (outside) to remove dander and washed every week.

Keep the animal out of the bedroom of the allergic person and clean the bedroom thoroughly.

Use a vacuum with a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) filter if possible and wear a dust mask to vacuum.
These recommendations may not produce significant relief of symptoms and are not as effective as the removal of the pet from the entire indoor environment.
Treatment for dog, cat, and other animal allergies may include over-the-counter or prescription medications such as antihistamines and decongestants. First generation antihistamines (e.g., Benadryl®, Dimetapp® Allergy) may cause drowsiness, but newer medications (e.g., Allegra®, Claritin®, Zyrtec®) have few side effects (may cause dry mouth and drowsiness). First generation antihistamines may cause irritability and restlessness in children.

Oral decongestants (e.g., Sudafed®, phenylepherine) may be used in combination with antihistamines to reduce allergy symptoms. Side effects of these medications include nervousness, difficulty sleeping, and increased heart rate and high blood pressure.

Topical and nasal decongestants (e.g., Afrin®, Neo-Synephrine®) are not suitable for long-term treatment because routine use causes rebound nasal congestion when the medication is discontinued. Nasal corticosteroids and nasal antihistamine sprays provide relief of symptoms and can be used indefinitely.

Animal allergies that trigger asthma may be treated with the following:

Bronchodilators (e.g., albuterol [Ventolin®], Proventil®])
Corticosteroid inhalers (e.g., Flovent®, Azmacort®)
Leukotriene antagonists (montelukast sodium [Singulair®])
Omalizumab (Xolair®)
Allergy vaccine therapy (also called allergy shots or immunotherapy) may be used to treat animal allergies when medications are ineffective. This treatment involves regular (usually once or twice weekly) injections of small doses of the allergen to reduce sensitivity. In most cases, it takes several months for allergy vaccine therapy to be effective and treatment must be continued for a long period of time (e.g., 2 to 5 years or more). Unfortunately, immunotherapy has not been shown to be as effective as removal of the pet from the environment.

FROM CHICA. I THOUGHT YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED.:D

wolfie
08-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Thank you!

The proper treatment of pet allergies requires removing the animal from the environment and avoiding contact.
:(

But I'm glad to hear the alternatives. We were talking about ripping up the carpets in my room anyway - I'm glad to hear that would help.

Keep the animal out of the bedroom of the allergic person and clean the bedroom thoroughly.
Oh... my parents wouldn't go for that. Maybe I could convince them though.

Thanks again Chica!

Chica
08-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Add an air cleaner (e.g., HEPA [high efficiency particulate air] filter, electrostatic filter) to central heating and air conditioning and use the filter for at least 4 hours each day.

OR

Have the pet brushed thoroughly daily (outside) to remove dander and washed every week.
Use a vacuum with a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) filter if possible and wear a dust mask to vacuum.

Just some suggestions. Your Welcome.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/CHICA2/lol2.gif