PDA

View Full Version : Its always nice to hear about the good people still around in this world...

popcornbird
08-06-2005, 03:52 PM
What a touching story......What an honest man. A wonderful example for all of us.

Taken from TwinCities.com http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/nation/12308715.htm

Posted on Fri, Aug. 05, 2005
Cab driver finds owner who'd left suitcase full of jewelry in trunk

BY JOSE MARTINEZ

New York Daily News

NEW YORK - (KRT) - He's a gem of a guy.

An honest Brooklyn cab driver Thursday answered the prayers of a Canadian jewelry dealer by returning a diamond-stuffed suitcase that had been left in the trunk of his yellow cab.

"It's like a perfect miracle," said Thierry Delisha, 32, of Montreal. "I am so proud to meet such an honest gentleman."

Hossam Abdala made the sparkling discovery Thursday, hours after dropping off Delisha and two other men at LaGuardia Airport for a flight to Canada around 7:15 a.m.

In their haste to unload eight pieces of luggage, the men didn't notice until it was too late that Abdala had driven off with a suitcase loaded with hundreds of thousands of dollars in bridal jewelry.

They didn't take a receipt, and had no way of tracking down the cabbie.

"I was in a complete panic," Delisha said. "I called all the rabbis I know personally in Israel and asked them to pray for me."

But he not only had the good fortune of catching a ride with Abdala, he also accidentally dropped his business card in the backseat. Abdala noticed the name on the card matched the name on the suitcase.

One call later to Crown Ring, the company Delisha owns in Montreal, and Abdala tracked down the grateful diamond dealer, who had stayed in New York hoping for a miracle.

"The guy's lucky," said Abdala, 30. "Usually, I find cell phones and things like that, but never very heavy bags filled with diamonds."

Delisha and his partners had been in New York for a jewelry expo at the Javits Convention Center.

They were on their way to another show in Toronto when they discovered they might have to show up empty-handed.

"That would have been terrible," Delisha said. "I thought they were gone for good."

Abdala, whose 12-hour shifts behind the wheel start at 4 a.m., received what Delisha called a "very nice reward" for his good deed.

"In New York, with so many people, I never would have believed this could happen," Delisha said. "I found a very good man."

For Abdala, he was relieved he was able to track down Delisha. They reunited Thursday night at LaGuardia.

"It's the right thing to do," said Abdala, a married father of a 4-year-old girl who emigrated from Egypt in 1997. "I knew I had to find the owner."

The episode reaffirmed Delisha's belief in the power of prayer.

"I'm Jewish and he's Muslim, so there has to be a message from God in this," he said. "I wish there could be more people like him."

finn's mom
08-06-2005, 04:29 PM
I heard about that today, it's incredible. I wish the news would cover more good stories like this, they're out there. I'd subscribe to a newspaper or watch a news program if it was mostly good stories like this. It's just healthier to see things like that, instead of non-stop negativity being jammed into our brains, and, awful images being flashed at us constantly. This is a beautiful story. That man is lucky he found such a great cabbie.

Laura's Babies
08-06-2005, 05:04 PM
There are plenty of good people left in this world! I have seen how many there are since my son's accident in May and I have been astounded by what people have done for them (he & his wife). Just last Sunday, she picked up her new car, donated by a dealership when all hers broke down since Eddie has been in the hospital without him to keep them running. Granted, it is not a brand new car, it is a 95 but it runs and will get her between home and the hospital. Her church family gave her the money to transfer all the paperwork and not have to put a dime out of her already stressed pocket.

The unbelievable outpouring of help from people who don't know either of them would make anyone GASP! They both get cards from people they do not know on a regular basis, people they do know send ANYTHING they could possiably need. One day when I have time, I want to post things that people have done so if a situation ever comes up for any PT'er and they wonder what they can do to help, they will have a large list at their fingertips. Just a few examples.... a gas card, a wal-mart gift card (for all the things you need when staying away from home and forgot to get), home made cakes and cookies, books, pens, disposiable shavers, sample size items, a gift card for a place to go eat... Just TO many things to remember off hand... And when all else fails $$$$...... I have seen firsthanded, how many wonderful people there are...... even right here on Pet Talk...