PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new vacuum... Opinions?

LoudLou
08-06-2005, 02:07 PM
We are in the market for a new vac. From everything I've been able to pull up online about Dyson Vs. Hoover Wind Tunnel, Consumer Reports was wrong, many UNhappy Hoover owners.

Those of you with Dysons ... are you still happy?

LOUD Louie creates A LOT of hair... Think Angora carpet ;) ... ok we don't get a chance to vacuum everyday so maybe thats it..:o

Those of you with Dysons how often do you have to stop and empty, while vacuuming? The vac we have now (Bissell -something) has to be emptied about 4x's while vacuuming our living room which approx. 16x20... :rolleyes:

Looking for something better, leaning towards a Dyson... but want to hear the Good, The Bad, The Ugly....:D

lynnestankard
08-06-2005, 02:25 PM
I've had my Dyson for 4 years Kate - I wouldn't swap it for the world! It's wonderful. I'd only had my Hoover about 18 months and coulldn't wait to get rid of it - it was useless.

The Dyson it great at picking up cat hair and even pulled out all the stops when Elizabeth's dog - Tricky - lived with us - and boy she was one long haired pooch!!

It even copes really well with soil from upturned flower pots - I'm a bit of a klutz!!

Oh yes and it's good for both carpets, rugs and hard wood floors.

Since I got my Dyson I've persuaded my best friend and my daughter Diane (in the States) and they've both now got one!!

Lynne

KYS
08-06-2005, 05:26 PM
I am happy with my Dyson too.

With my two Akita's I empty after I am done vacumming
the house. (once and empty).

K9karen
08-07-2005, 01:06 AM
I splurged on an Elecrolux cannister. A little heavy but MAN! It eats up everything! My rugs look like new!

anna_66
08-07-2005, 07:11 AM
I've had my Dyson a little over a year now and I wouldn't trade it for anything else!
We've had every kind of vacumn from the cheapies to the very expensive and I have to say so far this is my favorite!
With three very, very hairy dogs (yes three, Bon's just as hairy as the girls...the hairs just shorter:D) it really does the trick.

I empty mine each time I vacumn.

Happy vacumn hunting!

trayi52
08-07-2005, 08:08 AM
I just bought a dyson, and I am just so very happy with it, I wouldn't have anything else! It makes my carpet looks so fresh and new, and I am still stuck in this little trailer waiting for my house to be built.

Anyway, I love my my purple machine!

Willie:)

neko1
08-07-2005, 09:35 AM
I recently bought the Dyson DC14-Animal (made specifically for people with pets) and it's the best vacuum ever! Definitely worth the money!

trayi52
08-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Neko, thats the one I bought, and I just love it! You can do everything with it!

Willie:)

kuhio98
08-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by neko1
I recently bought the Dyson DC14-Animal (made specifically for people with pets) and it's the best vacuum ever! Definitely worth the money!

My mother bought one of these a few months a go and LOVES it. But $500 ???? Is it really worth that much?

caseysmom
08-07-2005, 12:34 PM
I have a kirby and I love it, I can also shampoo the carpet with it.

Edwina's Secretary
08-07-2005, 12:42 PM
I love my Dyson. It gets empty after a full vaccum of the house. It is amazing.....

carole
08-07-2005, 04:53 PM
If I could afford a Dyson I would purchase one, they only have good reviews here and from anyone I know who has one.

However a lot of the cheaper cyclonic models look appealing , they have hepa filters and no dust bags, a must IMO and you can pick one up here for around 197 dollars, next on my list.

My mother owns a Kirby that cost around two to three thousand dollars, she never uses it, as she found it all too complicated and ended up buying a cheaper model.:)

finn's mom
08-07-2005, 05:15 PM
My ex and I had a Kirby. I loved that vacuum. We used to charge our neighbors when we would shampoo their carpets. ;)We had, at our most...three adults, a dachshund/cocker mix, a siberian husky, and, seven cats in our home. When we moved out of our apartment, the manager inspecting our place upon moving out, stated "I thought you guys had pets here." It was a true testament to that vacuum. My ex still uses it in his and his family's home, and, last I heard, it still rocked. I want a Dyson, though, when I buy another vacuum, as I don't think I'll be able to get another Kirby again for a long time.

caseysmom
08-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Well the kirby is not the easist thing in the world to use that is for sure! I don't have trouble vacuuming but when I shampoo sometimes I have to watch the video again if its been a while.

We only paid $1,000 for it, they wanted $1,900 but my husband spent hours bargaining and refused to buy it for a penny more.

It is very old fashioned looking though, that is hard for me after spending so much money to get something that looks like it was built in 1950.

Rachel
08-07-2005, 06:10 PM
I am a loyal Electrolux user. Actually I have two of them, an upright and a cannister. The cannister is my favorite as it is so versatile and the attachments for cleaning other things than carpet are perfect. I have the Lux Legacy.

In May 2001, the name of the company was changed to "Aerus".

http://www.aerusonline.com/products/floorcare.cfm

Jadapit
08-07-2005, 06:16 PM
I used to have a Rainbow. It's the kind that uses water instead of a bag. It was awesome. I loved that vacuum. They aren't cheap though. I could use a new vacuum myself. We bought a Sears Kenmore its a piece of junk i hate it. The Dyson sounds like an awesome vaccum!

tomkatzid
08-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Dyson here too !!! Love it. Got it from Costco.
Katz

Pawsitive Thinking
08-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Used to have a Dyson but how have a Swan cylinder. Found with y Dyson that the belt kept breaking and it kept losing its suction......maybe I was just unlucky with the one I bought (certainly didn't get worn out with over use ;) )

LoudLou
08-09-2005, 02:06 PM
A Dyson it is! Thank you all for your opinions! :D

Garbonzo Bean has one more question tho, ... is it REALLY loud? :eek: ... Poor guy is the only one in the house who hides when the "Evil Vacuum" comes out...;)

anna_66
08-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by LoudLou
Garbonzo Bean has one more question tho, ... is it REALLY loud? :eek: ... Poor guy is the only one in the house who hides when the "Evil Vacuum" comes out...;)
NO! I personally think it's one of the quitest vacumns I've ever had.
Your gonna love it!