PDA

View Full Version : How long is too long to take a drink?

CalliesMom
08-06-2005, 11:34 AM
I've noticed that Callie will be at the water bowl for MINUTES at a time. I haven't noticed any weight loss and their urine output looks normal I guess. Is there something wrong here or am I just paranoid?

Craftlady
08-06-2005, 11:42 AM
I would be concerned if it was constant like every 15 mins or less.
Just taking time to drink is not a concern that I would panic. Also, a cat can sometimes take 5 mins to eat. I wouldnt panic.

skneisel74
08-06-2005, 12:03 PM
I would kkep an eye on it and see if Callie continues this for awhile if so then I would call the whitecoats. But I am not sure of your temp in Raliegh, I knnow here in Tx it get real hot and my kids spend much more time at the waterbowl. Good luck and keep us posted......

kittycats_delight
08-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Vixen is one of those kitties that drinking seldom. But when she drinks she drinks for a long time. Does Calli drink often? If not then I think she is probably find. But really if you feel it is not normal put your mind at rest and take her to the whitecoats. Better to be safe than sorry and better for your peace of mind.

Keep us posted.

Michelle & the girls

orangemm
08-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Mine do that occasionally; it kind of concerned me at first, but they don't do it all the time.

catmandu
08-06-2005, 03:47 PM
CATS CANT PERSPIRE,SO WITH THIS HEAT,AND HUMIDITY,THEY NEED TO DRINK MOREWATER,TO STAY HYDRATED.AND I WOULDNT WORRY,UNLESS,SHE IS DRINKING,SEVERAL TIMES,A DAY.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture325.jpg

Laura's Babies
08-06-2005, 03:53 PM
I agree.... she may just drink seldom and get her days supply in just a few drinks where some "sip" all day.... Just watch and keep a eye and see how often she does this...

CalliesMom
08-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the info. Her and Shadow went to the water bowls yesterday and Callie drank three times as long as Shadow did..just slightly concerned. If I start to notice changes in size of pee biscuits or weight loss, she is definitely going to the vets. She has her yearly check up next month anyway so will probably mention it then.

momcat
08-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Don't know how the weather has been where you are, but here in Trenton it has been brutally hot. In recent weeks Groucho has been drinking more. Do mention this to your vet if you're concerned. Don't know about cats, but excessive thirst in humans could indicate diabetes. Get your vet's opinion.....

lizbud
08-07-2005, 11:07 AM
A few of my cats just seem to sip & go, but I have two that
like to drink & then sit by the water bowl for minutes at a time.
I think they each drink as much as they need & clean water is
always available, so I think it's an individual kind of thing.If I
never saw them drink at all, I would be worried.

tigerrain
08-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Drinking alot at once is o.k, but like what everyone else said if they start going to the waterbowl several times a day as if they cant get enough to drink then it becomes a concern. Drinking excessivly can be a sighn of diabiates. Bring it up to your vet when they go for thier yearly. They may want to do bloodwork pending on the cats age.