PDA

View Full Version : lexie when school comes.. really need advice

BrittanyLexie
08-05-2005, 08:41 PM
okay, well school is about to start on Wednesday... and im nevous about where to keep lexie.. school is from 8:45 (i leave at 8) till 4:00 (prolly get home about 5ish) and im gonna feel really bad to keep her in her kennel that long.. but i heard thats what your supposed to do.. then i heard you should keep her in a bathroom.. im lost.. if anyone can help me i think it would be you guys

Lexi_Lover
08-05-2005, 08:43 PM
We kept Lexi in her room when she was a pup with her crate door opened, a safety gate up at one end so she could look out and a Puppy Pad right outside the crate, just in case. :) Good luck! She should do ok I'm guessing!

BrittanyLexie
08-05-2005, 08:45 PM
well we have carpet and i know my mom is NOT gonna let her go on the carpet while we're gone.. she wont let it be an option.. lol.. and i have a strong feeling lexie would tear up the puppy pad

Kfamr
08-05-2005, 08:48 PM
I would be the safest to keep her in a secure crate for now. Maybe as she matures she can move onto the bathroom or a larger area, but as she's still a michevious puppy, I think it's best to crate her.

I personally leave water for mine when/if they are crated, but some people don't like to. I also leave on some soft music or the television for them.

Make sure to let her potty (#1 & #2) before she is crated. :)

Lexi_Lover
08-05-2005, 08:49 PM
We thought Lexi was too, but they have this scent as well, that the puppy likes or something. I don't know, scientists, you know! :p I would take the carpet out because Lexi tore it up last time when she was a pup. :rolleyes: I used this technique and it worked. Lexi is a VERY strong chewer....and she never did touch the puppy pad with her mouth or teeth!

wolfsoul
08-05-2005, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't leave a puppy in a crate for that long -- that's like 8 hours. A puppy should not be left in a crate for more than four hours. I would consider asking a neighbor or friend to go over to your house and let her out for a pee and play every few hours. A puppy that young can just not hold it in that long -- you will not be housebreaking her at all, it would just make it worse.

caseysmom
08-06-2005, 01:44 AM
Bubba stays in an excercize pen, basically a fenced in area on linoleum for long periods like that. I have used puppy pads and that works well. He has had accidents in there but he doesn't have accidents in the house anymore...mind you it took forever I guess small dogs are harder to potty train. I also leave his bed and a large blanket and some toys.

grybai
08-06-2005, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I wouldn't leave a puppy in a crate for that long -- that's like 8 hours.

Eeck, it's actually 9 hours. Like others have said, a kennel isn't a good option. If you can confine her to some uncarpeted area like a kitchen or a bathroom that should be ok. You can put her kennel in there too and you'll also need a puppy pad and maybe read up on housetraining with them.

cute_pup
08-06-2005, 02:13 AM
Hi , do you have a fenced area outside??And does she have a kennel outside??

vinjashira
08-06-2005, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by grybai
Eeck, it's actually 9 hours. Like others have said, a kennel isn't a good option. If you can confine her to some uncarpeted area like a kitchen or a bathroom that should be ok. You can put her kennel in there too and you'll also need a puppy pad and maybe read up on housetraining with them.

If you can not make an arrangement for someone to be home during the day that this may be your best option. Personally, I don't think even an adult dog should be left alone for 9 hours.

cute_pup
08-06-2005, 03:20 AM
this site might help: http://www.great-dog-gift.com/dog_crate.html

BrittanyLexie
08-06-2005, 07:28 AM
yeah.. i thought keeping her in a cage for thatl ong wasnt good.. but my mom insisted "she'll like it, its her safe place".. but i know she doesnt like it she never wants to get in it. So since there nobody who can really come over here,, i think im gonna just get those puppy pads leave her in the kitchen or bathroom. Thanks for the advice.
-brittany