PDA

View Full Version : Help please!!! Found a rabbit...

Fur&Feathers
08-05-2005, 08:35 PM
(I realize I should be posting this in Pet General, but I thought more people would see it here. Sorry for any inconvenience.) I was out for my nightly walk when I spotted a rabbit with quite an unusual "design" in it's fur to be a wild rabbit. Anyway, I managed to catch the little guy or girl. It seems very healthy and very clean. I'm going to post signs tonight, requesting that the person describe the rabbit, before returning it, as I do not trust many people around my area. To the point... what kind is it? And is it ok to feed it collard greens? I have no rabbit food, I will get that within a few hours and a water bottle. Any information would be appreciated! Attached is a picture.

Fur&Feathers
08-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Here is another.

Lexi_Lover
08-05-2005, 08:38 PM
He is definetly not a wild rabbit! He looks like a holland lop to me, without lopped ears. For food, mine loves lettuce and carrots *if* I happen to run out of food and an occasional treat. You did a wonderful thing for this rabbit. Good luck!

Fur&Feathers
08-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Thank you, Lexi. I guess I'll make that trip to the store sooner than an hour, I don't want to feed him/her just mainly treats. I'd check the gender of it, but I don't want to scare it any more than I already have right now. I offered him/her some timothy hay, but all the poor thing did was shake.

Lexi_Lover
08-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Yes, my boy LOVES alfalfa hay as well. They tend to not be able to resist it, so if he doesn't eat the food I'd get some of that. :) For the food, I personally like to get the mixed with dried veggies, pellets and little shapes of minerals and vitamins! :) Good luck again!

manda_moo87
08-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Aw, what a cutie!

As for food, when you buy rabbit pellets its best that you buy pellets with 16% protein, 18% is usually too high for most rabbits. Hay is always very good, carrots, pears and apples are my buns favorites. If he feels thin I highly recommend rolled outs and dried whole wheat/brown bread to help put on some weight. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to send me a PM. I've had rabbits nearly all of my life.

CagneyDog
08-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Are you sure there isn't more than one? There are rabbits that look identical to that around my house, they were released by irresponsible owners and managed to over winter, so maybe he actually is a "wild" rabbit?

Fur&Feathers
08-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Cagney, there was only one, I looked around more afterward. It is very rare to see any kind of rabbit around here, so I thought this one, in particular, was very odd to see, freely roaming around. I gave him some food and he acted as if he hasn't eating in a while.

Manda, ty. :D I'll send you a PM.

Paul
08-05-2005, 11:52 PM
   Good job catching the rabbit. If it allowed itself to be caught it's not a rabbit that has grown up outside. If it is not continuously chewing at the bars and trying to escape, it's a pet rabbit. Even though Miss Hoppy is a house rabbit she would not sit still for being locked in a cage.

You should take care not to be bitten or scratched. Miss Hoppy does not want anyone touching her underside, her tail, or her paws. She does not bite us but she has bitten her gentle and skilled vet.

The House Rabbit Society (http://www.rabbit.org/care/index.html) has a lot of info on rabbit care.

Paul

jesse_3
08-06-2005, 12:12 AM
I know very little on rabbits. Sorry...

I think that you are a great person to stop and take time to care for this lucky bunny! It is really cute too!:D

Good luck with finding it's owners!-Steph and Jes

Umm, what if you DON'T find the owners, or they just don't want him/her?

Fur&Feathers
08-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Thank you, Paul. I found that website more than helpful and very informative. :) The rabbit is not chewing on the bars or trying to get out. It has just settled down and has finally stopped shaking, which is wonderful to see. The rabbit doesn't run to the covered part of it's cage anymore, when people walk by. I'll treat this little guy or girl like Miss Hoppy. :) I've just been petting this rabbit on it's ears, back and head. I definitely won't attempt anywhere else.

jesse, thank you. If I don't find the owners, I will do a bit of research and find a reputable rabbit rescue/shelter and give the rabbit. Usually when I give animals to rescues, I go and check their facility first. I'd absolutely love to keep it, but I know I won't be able to give it the quality time it needs and deserves.

Fur&Feathers
08-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Would anyone HERE be interested in this rabbit? I live in a southern state... House Rabbit Society of Georgia and every other shelter for rabbits I find are "currently not taking in rabbits who need homes."

Karen
08-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Awww, he's so cute! He must have been somebody's pet, sadly may have been an "easter bunny" that got "set free to survive in the wild" when he was no longer wanted. Sad how often that happens.

Maybe if no owner steps forward, you could list him (are we sure of gender?) on petfinder.org.

Parsley, carrot tops - no iceberg lettuce, but darker lettuce like romaine is okay ...

Could be an English Spot, mixed Rex, definitely not a Netherland Dwarf ...
cute spotty bunny!

Has Bunny been to the vet? Maybe your vet would know of someone who might want a bunny.

Do pick up a litter box but do NOT NOT NOT use cat litter in it - Carefresh is available in small packages, or even just bunches of hay for litter and munching ... a box-trained bunny is easier to find a home for, and for all we know, maybe s/he is aready used to using a box ...

lizbud
08-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks for taking in the rabbit. It's a pretty one.:) Our local
Humane Society will accept any lost/found animal, even rabbits.
Maybe you could contact your local Society for help. Good luck.:)

Zany_girlie
08-06-2005, 04:34 PM
awww what a cutie pie! I really think you are doing a great thing. And about the food i really wouldnt know but i wish you you luck.