View Full Version : crickets....

tikeyas_mom
08-05-2005, 06:14 PM
For the reptile owners..

How do you keep your crickets alive?
What do u feed them?
What are they housed in?
How many do you purchase at once?
What kinda hideouts do you have for them?

Thanks ;)

DogLover9501
08-05-2005, 07:41 PM
How do you keep your crickets alive? There's always a few dead ones, I'm looking here for advice ;)
What do u feed them? Greens or carrots.
What are they housed in? A plastic tub with holes in the top, and dry oatmeal as substrate.
How many do you purchase at once? 3-5 Dozen, enough for a few days :p
What kinda hideouts do you have for them? Pieces of Egg cartons.

tikeyas_mom
08-05-2005, 08:17 PM
i guess I better answer my own questions haha.. since I do have herps also.. hehe

What do u feed them? I feed mine carrot, kale, bok choi, potatoe, broccoli, beans, and umm... oat meal.. :)

What are they housed in? a HUGE rubber maid tub.

How many do you purchase at once? 100-150 Large.

What kinda hideouts do you have for them? Shredded News papper, Hemp as bedding, and egg cartons.... o and toilet paper rolls..

Fur&Feathers
08-05-2005, 08:37 PM
I feed my crickets cricket water and cricket food from PetsMart, with extra calcium to gut-load them with.

They're housed in a cricket keeper, a large one.

I usually purchase 200 large at a time.

Substrate? Wow, :o , I've never even thought about doing that...

They just have egg cartons to hide out in.

Lexi_Lover
08-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Well, the one that I'm watching right now has...

Crickets are alive when I purchase them usually.

I feed then cricket food which is shook into the little "tunnel" as well as an orange.

They are in an ice cream container with a large tube that you can take out and just shake it over the cage and they come out.

Ours come in a dozen.

The orange, rocks and I think an egg carton thing or 2.

LOL!

ILoveReptiles
08-05-2005, 10:21 PM
I usually purchase a dozen at a time, and I use a Kricket Keeper. They climb up into the black tube that inserts into a hole in the lid, so dispensing them is very easy. Just take out the tube and tap them into the cage with the critter you need to feed.

As for what I feed them, I have a LARGE jar of gut-load. So far, I've had only 1 casualty in a week - the rest have been eaten by my Red Eyed Tree Frog, Kermit. I don't even bother to use substrate. They're all up in the tube anyway...

tikeyas_mom
08-05-2005, 11:02 PM
if gutload wasnt so expensive here I would use that ..

DogLover9501
08-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Kricket Keeper's sound so easy to use, definatly easier than picking them out of a plastic tub! I'm going to have to get one of those ;)

tikeyas_mom
08-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
Kricket Keeper's sound so easy to use, definatly easier than picking them out of a plastic tub! I'm going to have to get one of those ;)

the only catch with those is that you cant control how many drop into your critters house. (i recommend cacium dust the crickets first, its healthier and t gives you a chance to count them.. )

Suki Wingy
08-06-2005, 07:41 PM
we buy 12 every week or 24 every other and they eat dog food.

Zany_girlie
08-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Keeping them alive: Well i use this stuff called gut load, you can buy it at most pet stores, it seems to work very well for me.
Feeding them: gut load, carrots, kale, collard greens.
Housing:Kricket Keeper
Purchase: I get about 1 dozen every week, i wouldnt recomend geting any more than two dozen though.
Hideouts: Well the only thing i use as hide outs are egg cartons

O and do you like your bearded dragon i have one too.