PDA

View Full Version : Cat question

slleipnir
08-05-2005, 04:37 PM
New kitties eyes are looking runny...he doesn't really have "gunk" running from them right now, but they look watery. He's been sneezing too. Is it just a little cold? Or should I take him to the vet? I wouldn't be able to go till wed, I guess they're booked up...I'm concerned. He's eatting/sleeping/exploring. He doesn't ACT sick. He's not very playful, but maybe he's just not that type of cat...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-05-2005, 04:41 PM
He could very well have a URI. It's not uncommon that kitties from shelters get them. Is there anyway you could get him to the vet any sooner? I would also keep him away from Kiba so she doesn't get it. Somehow I don't think she'll have a problem with that though. ;)

catnapper
08-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Could be an upper respiratory infection. In the meantime, keep him away from the others. URI's are very infectious (and common)

Most of the time, they run through their system on their own (like we do with a cold) but its always best to see a vet and see if they recommmend meds. Waiting til Wed won't be the worst thing in the world. Just keep an eye on him and watch that the sneezing doesn't get worse. Make sure he's still eating and drinking.

rosethecopycat
08-05-2005, 04:49 PM
They will most likely give him antibiotics for secondary infection.
If he's eating and drinking, then no need to take mayor action, but if he gets so congested that he can't breathe, or stops eating or drinking, then take him to the vet, right away. Kittens can fail very quickly.
If he gets congested, try a nice 1/2 hr steam in the bathroom. Don't leave him alone.
If he is just sniffly and has runny eyes, then the URI is probably mild.

Please ask you vet for advice over the phone, if you can't get an appointment.

janelle
08-05-2005, 05:09 PM
My tabby has that all the time. Not bad but just a little wet in the corner of her eye then it crusts up. I wipe it off and she is fine.

Both cats have it to a certain extent but not so much that it bothers them. They may each have a small infection with watery eyes but it doesn't bother them. I don't know if I should be concerned about it if it just little and no bother. ?????

Have never heard if this leads to more compllications. Let me know when you do.

catmandu
08-05-2005, 07:26 PM
I WOULD GET HIM,TO A VET,AND KEEP HIM,ISOLATED AS I AM TRYING,TO DO WITH GCK,BUT HE SNUCK,OUT,COMPLAINING,OF CABIN FEVER.
YOUDONT,WANT A HOUSE,FULL,OF SNEEZIES,THATS NO FUN,AT ALL.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos827.jpg