PDA

View Full Version : My Twicket could use some good thoughts...

Glacier
08-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Could I ask for a few prayers for my Twicket? Twicket is almost 16 now and time is taking it's toll on him. Life was rough for Twicket in his younger years and I think that is catching up to him now too. In the past few weeks, he's lost alot of weight. He's a bone rack now and his appetite isn't great. I'm spoiling him with all the canned food he wants, but he's not gaining anything back. His purr is so quiet now. Twicket's purr used to fill the house. He could be heard from anywhere. Now I can feel the vibrations, but he makes very little noise. He's a little unsteady on his feet now too. Jumping takes great concentration and when he lands he catches his balance like a gymanst stumbling now.

He's been to the vet and nothing specific is wrong. My vet told me that he wishes he could treat "old". I sure wish he could too. Ticks me off to no end that someone who didn't love Twicket got the first 13 years of his life. I adore him and I've barely had two years with him. That's not fair. But I knew when I got him that my time with him was not likely to be extremely long and I'd do it again without hesitation. He's the most amazing cat.

Twicket is still happy I think. He still snuggles into me and wants to be carried all the time. He still purrs lots, just ever so softly. He still eats, grooms and uses the litterbox. Please cross your paws that he stays that way for a while yet. I'm not ready to let him go, not that I ever will be. I've asked my husband to let me know when he thinks it's time to make that last vet appointment as I'm not sure I will be able to see the signs. Stuart is always a little more clear about these things than I am. As terrible as it sounds, I'd really like it if he just fell asleep and forgot to wake up, when the time comes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Cats/pretty_boy.jpg
Not a recent picture of him, just my favorite one.

JenWhite
08-05-2005, 04:21 PM
soft, gentle (((hugs))) to you, and warm fuzzy thoughts and prayers coming Twicket's way

Queen of Poop
08-05-2005, 04:24 PM
A few tears upon reading your update on Twicket. I've got fingers, toes and all paws crossed. I've also asked all my RB fur-angels to keep a close eye on Twicket. Cuddle him up and give him lots of love. He's had the best years of his life with you, be thankful for that.

Twicket, your meowmie loves you dearly.

catmandu
08-05-2005, 04:30 PM
THAT,AS CLEVLAND AMORY,WROTE,IS THE DAY,THAT ALL PET OWNERS DREAD,AND THAT,IS THE DAY,THAT THEY REALIZE,THAT THIER PETS,ARE MORTAL,AND THAT THEY ARE NO LONGER,THE YOUNG,SPRY CATS,OR DOGS,THAT THEY ONCE WERE.

AND SADLY,YOUR VET,IS RIGHT,NOTHING,CAN BEAT OLD,ALL YOU CAN DO,IS TO MAKE TWICKET COMFORTABLE,AS POSSIBLE,AND LET HIM,KNOW,HOW MUCH,YOU LOVE HIM.

WEARE PRAYING,THAT YOU HAVE,AS MUCH TIME,WITH TWICKET,AS POSSIBLE.

PRAYERS,ARE COMING FOR DEAR TWICKET,FROM ALL,OF US.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-05-2005, 04:31 PM
:( I'm so sorry to hear Twicket is starting to fail. :(

Although I have to admit that I know exactly how you are feeling because I went through the very same thing with Tubby not so long ago.

The only thing I can suggest is Cosequin http://www.petvetdirect.com/home.asp?cid=118

This is for arthritis and joint problems in cats. It seemed to help Tubby a bit and I know one of Catsnclay's kitties started jumping on the counters again once she started giving him Cosequin.

Other than that all I can offer are {{{hugs}}} and prayers that he continues to hang on for awhile and that he will let you know when it's time.

As terrible as it sounds, I'd really like it if he just fell asleep and forgot to wake up, when the time comes.
Again I know exactly how you feel because I felt the same way quite often towards the end with Tubby. :(

Oh Twicket, I sure wish I could head up your way and snuggle with you before it's time for you to go. I'd love to hear your purr and help carry you around and help spoil you rotten to help make up for all the "wasted years." I'm so glad your meowmy found you and gave you at least 2 wonderful years and I wish you many many more. :(

sirrahbed
08-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Once in awhile, a post makes me cry - and your telling about Twicket was one of these posts. I also feel sad that someone else had him for all those years...and that someone did not love him. But two years with someone who adores him must seem like heaven on earth to him. Thinking of losing a pet again is so very hard - even if it is not to be soon - seeing the signs of aging is so hard. I have five young cats now but they came after years with my last two geriatrics. These babies will be our last babies I am sure - only older kitties from now on.

Even though the aging is so hard to watch - there is also something very graceful about it. I don't mean the wobbly landings or the losing weight and appetite - just knowing that that older cat is now so very happy and content with someone to cuddle with and they seem to have a certain dignity to me. Then, I also am drawn to older people, too. Age holds a certain appeal to me.

I hope you have lots of days, weeks, months and maybe even years with Twicket! But even if the time does not amount to years - I can tell you are enjoying your days with him. He is so handsome!! Do you have more pictures to post? I wish I could give him some scritches:)

You and Twicket have my thoughts for sure! I have said my prayer for today also. Thank you for sharing him:)

rosethecopycat
08-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Has he had any bloodwork done?

You need to know where to target your attention. How is the kidney function?

There are some diets that help cats gain weight. Feline Rebound Liquid Diet RX is now a long term diet.

Important to keep him hydrated too.

All hoping and singing for Twicket that he remain big & strong for his mommy and daddy.

momcat
08-05-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear about Twicket. What a beautiful cat! You can be sure that St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of pets, will be watching over your precious little purrball. For these few short years he has known only love from you and returns that love with his purrs and snuggles. Prayers are being prayed for sweet Twicket... and also for you! Bless you for taking him in!

Glacier
08-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by rosethecopycat
Has he had any bloodwork done?

You need to know where to target your attention. How is the kidney function?

There are some diets that help cats gain weight. Feline Rebound Liquid Diet RX is now a long term diet.

Important to keep him hydrated too.

He had a senior blood panel not long ago. It was "normal for his age". I thought his kidneys would show something, but my vet wasn't concerned about the numbers--I can't remember what they were exactly. I'll ask about a weight gain diet for him. He does seem to be drinking normally.

Thanks everyone. He's a very special kitty. Before Boots, Twicket was the last arrival. I always tell my hubby that it took me 8 tries to find the perfect lap cat. Nothing Twicket likes more than a good, long snuggle. The other cats are friendly and like attention, but only Twicket is always happy to held.

Glacier
08-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed

Even though the aging is so hard to watch - there is also something very graceful about it. I don't mean the wobbly landings or the losing weight and appetite - just knowing that that older cat is now so very happy and content with someone to cuddle with and they seem to have a certain dignity to me. Then, I also am drawn to older people, too. Age holds a certain appeal to me.

Do you have more pictures to post?

Thanks...there is a certain kind of dignity in aging. I'm working on a post-degree certificate in gerontology so I can work elderly people someday.

I'm always amazed by how the animals accept aging. No fighting, no fuss, no whining about it! Twicket just sleeps on the futon now instead of the back of a chair, easier to get to. He just adjusts.

I have a senior dog too who continually amazes me. Preacher is blind, hypothyroid, and arthritic. Yesterday, he play bowed and wooed at me and wanted to go for a walk! I was more upset about him going blind than he was. He just learned to get around using his front paws and his ears as a white cane.

As much as it breaks my heart, i think it is something of a privledge to be able to care for these remarkable souls at the end of their lives, especially the ones who had rough youths.

Pics?? Oh,yes, I have pics!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/cats%2005/twickplay.jpg
Last fall, playing with a nip mouse.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Cats/purrtytwick.jpg
Christmas 2005, laying on the back of the couch with the christmas lights behind him.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Cats/twicket_what.jpg
A guy just can't get any privacy when meowmie has the camera out!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/cats%2005/twickypers.jpg
Last week, you can see how skinny he is getting!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20cats/twicky.jpg
Another of my favorites, taken in April 2005.

Logan
08-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Twicket sounds like one special boy to me, Glacier. You can count on my good thoughts and prayers for him, and for you. I feel quite fortunate that my 16 year old Mimi is doing so well, but her life has not been like Twicket's as she has been in loving hands since the day she was born. I got her as a six week old kitten, and she has brought me through some pretty rough times.

Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Logan

Cataholic
08-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Like others have said, your post made my eyes water. SO reminescent of my time with Tex. Please whisper a sweet loving sound into Twicket's ear, letting him know someone in Cincinnati is praying for him.

jenluckenbach
08-05-2005, 08:41 PM
As the tears flow I wanted to say THANK YOU! Thank you for loving that sweet boy. How anyone could not love him, is beyond comprehension.

His bony figure reminds me of my Bear. He lost so much weight in the last 2 years of his life that I thought every day would be his last. But he managed (even after losing his sight) to have a happy life to the end.

I wish you as much time as possible with Twicket. Treasure each moment. And give him a kiss from me.

barncat
08-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Twicket is beautiful.... It is hard to watch them getting ready to leave for their next adventure. He and you will know when it is time. In the meanwhile enjoy the love you will never lose but can now still touch.

Early this summer Clemmy, a cat who had been part of my family for 18 years went to sleep and woke up on his adventure. (He lived with my always-significant-sometimes-other human). Reading about Twicket reminds me of how as Clem got thinner and more fragile he would spend hours dozing on my chest...we called it his boob-therapy...purring almost silently, and nesting in love. LOL, tho he still ruled the other larger and younger cats and their psycho dog with velvet paws.

Prayers and love.

krazyaboutkatz
08-06-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm sending out lots of prayers and positive thoughts to Twicket. He's such a handsome cat with a great personality and he's been very lucky to have a wonderful loving caring forever home for the past 2 years. I hope that he'll continue thrive for many more years to come. Please take care.

kuhio98
08-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Prayers to you and Twicket. His skinny frame reminds me of Kuhio in her 17th year. She had a hyperthyroid though. I'm glad that Twicket is relatively healthy. Have you tried Nutri-Cal? It is a high calorie paste that he might eat. Kuhio would eat some, but not a lot. Towards the end, I minced up fatty lunch meat and cheese to try to keep some weight on her.

Glacier
08-06-2005, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
As the tears flow I wanted to say THANK YOU! Thank you for loving that sweet boy. How anyone could not love him, is beyond comprehension.

I wish you as much time as possible with Twicket. Treasure each moment. And give him a kiss from me.

Y'know, every day for the last two years, I have wondered how anyone could have left him behind. How do you have an animal for 13 years and just leave it at the shelter? I couldn't sleep at night! I have enough trouble letting my fosters go! I couldn't have let Twicket go 5 minutes after he arrived here!

I have a friend who calls this "bonus time". I kind like that! I'm trying to worry about him leaving and enjoy his sweet self while he's here. I've been making a point of just sitting and holding him for as long as he will stay on my chest. Sometimes that means not much gets done in the evenings!

Thank you all so very much for your support. It means the world to me.

Sonia59
08-06-2005, 05:42 AM
I'm sad to hear about Twicket getting old. But I'm very happy to see what you do for him every minute now. You give him the best years of his life. I hope you can still share long months and years together. We can see how Twicket is so happy now.

Cinder & Smoke
08-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Some LES :cool: setting in here ...

Try not to count *down* the days till Twicket says g-bye ~
but continue to count *UP* the many hours of Love & Joy he's
shared with you.

We'll pray that number gets so big you loose count enjoying him.

{{{Hugs}}} for Twicket! ;)

/s/ Phred

finn's mom
08-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Oh, man, this is making me cry. I think Twicket is one of the prettiest cats I've ever seen, and, your stories and photos of him have always been ones I've looked forward to and loved reading. I know what you mean about hoping you don't have to make the decision for when it's time. My cat, Dusty, fell asleep on his favorite chair, next to my dad's, on my dad's birthday. I knew he wouldn't ask for permission to go, I always kinda knew he'd just go to sleep. He was always so dignified, and, Twicket reminds me somehow of Dusty. You've done so good by this cat. He's had a better life in the last couple years with you than some cats ever experience. You are both lucky to have found eachother, and, I'm sorry to hear his time may be coming to an end. Can I say that I love Twicket, too?

orangemm
08-06-2005, 03:11 PM
This made me cry, too. I know how sad it is when our loved ones become frail and more dependent on us and in your and Twicket's case it is more poignant than ever. You've had such a short time together (comparitively) that you need each other more than if you had spent his whole lifetime together.

He is so lucky to have found a loving home and tender care; you are lucky to have his devotion. You want him around for a long time, yet you don't want him to have a less-than-good quality of life and you certainly don't want him to suffer.

Just love him all you can while you have him.

I, too, cannot imagine giving up any of my darlings. What a cruel, cold act of abandonment. May it haunt him/her forever.

Sweet hugs to a beautiful gentleman, and to you.

furrykidsmother
08-06-2005, 03:21 PM
LES here too! Try to enjoy the time that you have with him, may it be many, many more months and hopefully years!! Twicket you are a beautiful boy and you are so loved!! None of us know how long we will be here, so each and every day needs to be enjoyed to the utmost!

Laura's Babies
08-06-2005, 04:10 PM
This is just to sad for me to come up with anything.. Just know I hate it as much as you do....

Barbara
08-07-2005, 06:02 AM
Twicket seems to be happy- and he is happy because of you. That's all that counts. And he is such a cute and handsome boy- just enjoy every moment with him- and I keep my fingers crossed that it may be many many moments to come:)

lizbud
08-07-2005, 11:01 AM
I hope and pray that Twicket gets to enjoy his time with you
for years to come. He is such a beautiful cat & deserves every
minute of his good life with you.:)

catcrazylady
08-07-2005, 03:11 PM
I have adored Twicket since I first laid eyes on him and heard his story. The words that you wrote about him are filled with love and concern. I think you made us all cry.:(

As sad and horrible as it is that his previous *owners* could just give him up to the shelter I'm glad they did. Anyone who could do that would not give this much love and attention to a wonderful senior kitty. Twicket was blessed when his gaurdian Angel came along. We all tend to forget the bad things of the past and remember our most recent events. Twicket will only remember love and tenderness. There is no greater thing that you could have given him.

We love you too sweet Twicket and I pray you have much more time to share your sweet self with your meowmie Angel.

rg_girlca
08-07-2005, 07:59 PM
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/traurig/sad-smiley-002.gif My dear, dear sweet Twicket. How I have loved you from day one. You have been one of my favorite kitties for the past few years. You are just too darn adorable and I just can't get enough of your sweet kissable face.

Take one day at a time Glacier with your precious Twicket and I know you are enjoying every moment with this sweet boy.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way that you have more years with him.

After having such an adorable cat for 13 years and then just dump him at a shelter for God knows what reason, is beyond me.
But I am so glad that he got adopted out to such a loving, caring home.

Headbumpies and kisses to you sweetie.

NoahsMommy
08-08-2005, 03:09 AM
I'm so sorry, honey. :(

Prayers and good thoughts going to Twicket.

Hugs,
Kelly

LoudLou
08-08-2005, 04:04 AM
Headbumpies to Twicket!