PDA

View Full Version : Magic Eraser - cleaning product

sirrahbed
08-05-2005, 11:42 AM
:rolleyes: Ok so I am a clean freak but never imagined I would sound like a commercial or Heloise with household hints!!

But - has anyone tried using this product out by Mr. Clean?? It is a white pad that wears away and disappears with use. It looks sort of like a sponge but works like an eraser. I have been using them in my kitchen and was very surprised at the way it cleans the porcelain sink without comet. I saw a commercial on TV yesterday that showed other things like outdoor furniture, crayons, scuff marks on floor and bathroom soap scum. OK, I got out a new one just now and got to work on the bottom of our fiberglass shower stall. Marks that have been there for years and years are gone and so is the white eraser!!:eek:

End of commercial...has anyone TRIED this thing?? You just wet it and rub. I don't have any idea how it works because there is no smell and it does not even hurt bare skin. :p :D

Queen of Poop
08-05-2005, 11:44 AM
I've tried it and worn out 2 of them. Works just like it says it does. It's amazing.

Craftlady
I bought it when it first came out on the market. It worked ok but I wasnt totally impressed. Give me Scrub Bubbles (P&G) anyday. It cleans everything. Good old comet is a great standby.

lv4dogs
Oh my gosh I That is the best thing ever invented isn't it! I LOVE them.

furrykidsmother
08-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Yes, I have used it. It is great!

finn's mom
08-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Craftlady
I bought it when it first came out on the market. It worked ok but I wasnt totally impressed. Give me Scrub Bubbles (P&G) anyday. It cleans everything. Good old comet is a great standby.

I've never tried it, what didn't you like about it? I kinda want to try it, and, we're getting a great idea of how it works wonders, but, I want to hear the "other side" too. ;)

if it cleans soap scum from glass and plastic shower doors, i'm all over it. i can never find anything that works well without having to scrub for an hour and i'm exhuasted and sweating by the end of it, and, then all i see are streaks and that's irritating...

catnapper
08-05-2005, 11:48 AM
I got one a month or so ago and FORGOT about it! I know exactly where it is... I want to "play" with it now!

Randi
08-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Arghh darn!! I should have bought one while in USA. :(

Sara gave me one called Wine Away, I think it's pretty good, although I haven't spilled any - yet. ;) I suppose you can use it on other stains on clothes!?

We have one here called Vanish, but I haven't tried it yet.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-05-2005, 12:19 PM
I've been meaning to try it. I will for sure now!!!
Where's my grocery list? ....... :)

Karen
08-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
:rolleyes:
End of commercial...has anyone TRIED this thing?? You just wet it and rub. I don't have any idea how it works because there is no smell and it does not even hurt bare skin. :p :D

Really no smell? Really? I'm allergic to most cleaning products - the scent of them alone can leave me wheezing and coughing. I can use 409 - that's the only one that doesn't mean using my inhaler while I use it, just a little afterwards. But a cleaning product with NO smell - hmmm ....

caseysmom
08-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Okay I am going to have to try it.

Ginger's Mom
08-05-2005, 12:33 PM
I have only used it on the walls and woodwork, but I do love it. I will have to branch out and be more daring with it's use. :)

finn's mom
08-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Really no smell? Really? I'm allergic to most cleaning products - the scent of them alone can leave me wheezing and coughing. I can use 409 - that's the only one that doesn't mean using my inhaler while I use it, just a little afterwards. But a cleaning product with NO smell - hmmm ....

Hey, Karen, have you tried a line called "Method", they are biodegradable, non toxic, etc. They don't test on animals, and, I **think** they say they are hypo allergenic...I have seen them at one of those big places (bed, bath and beyond or linens and things) and the products are sold at target. I love them. They are scented, though, so, they might not work for you. But, some of the scents are really faint...just thought i'd mention it.

i want to try the magic eraser! :)

Karen
08-05-2005, 12:58 PM
I haven't - I just get such a bad reaction to most cleaning products that I don't try "new" ones without strong reason. And it is horribly disappointing when a product I have used in the past makes itself "new and improved" - changes something about the formula, and it makes me sick, literally.

We have a cleaning company the comes to the office where I work once a month. The first time they came, they used Tilex, and it made me so sick I had to leave the office for a while - just sat outside for half an hour while evryone opened windows and aired the place out. Now we're the only office that they use the cleaning prodicts we supply. Not good for productivity to slay the staff!

Craftlady
08-05-2005, 01:14 PM
There is no smell.
It does works good on walls but for the tub and sink area I wasnt impressed. Also they fall apart to easly maybe now they make them stronger.

Cataholic
08-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Probably, it requires YOUR special touch. So, can you get on 75, and drive on down to me? :D

jesse_3
08-05-2005, 01:21 PM
At our house, that is the MAIN cleaner for showers, sinks, walls, etc.! The ONLY thing that it wouldn't work on for us is a leather purse with ink on it. The eraser faded it, but not all the way. Other than that, we are VERY pleased.

Karen, I can't have my mom use many household cleaners (due to asthma) so when she brought this home, I can actually use it without needing an inhaler!:D

Craftlady, that is weird. Ours have never fallin apart on us:confused:

Steph and Jes

shais_mom
08-05-2005, 11:58 PM
yup they are awesome!
I gave them out as Christmas presents last year!!!

jazzcat
08-06-2005, 12:10 AM
I love them. That is the only thing that will clean my patio furniture well.

Tip - I used them to get marks off the wall and they left a funny dull mark on the paint so beware.

Craftlady - they do fall apart easily if you are scrubbing but I don't mind since they are doing such a great job. They cleaned my adirondak chairs better than the pressure washer could.

jennifert9
08-06-2005, 12:27 AM
I was JUST thinking about this today...!! Collin's mother and stepfather are coming to visit tomorrow and I was cleaning ALL DAY LONG!!! I swear by Clorox cleaner (NOT good for those with allergies however...very smelly but cleans everything!!) EXCEPT....pencil lines on the walls!! Yes I said pencil lines!! LOL!:) We have tons of framed pictures that we never hung at our last apartment (plaster walls, very few studs, just wasn't worth the hassle...) But I want this place to look homey and lived in so we NEED to get these pics on the walls!! Unfortunately I have to hang them alone since Collin works nights and sleeps days so my window for hammering is very small, you know, can't annoy the neighbors, can't wake Collin up....so between 10 and 11 this morning I was running around pencil marking every pic and then hammering them in!!! :D It's very hard to hang pictures by yourself though...you have no idea if it looks good until you have done it...and then you're like "Oh, no, too high, too low, too ugly...;) Needless to say, I have pencil marks all over my walls and the Clorox failed me! It wouldn't take them off!!! I was so desperate, I even tried the pencil eraser but to no avail!!

I am going to Walmart first thing in the AM before they arrive and picking up one of these erasers!! Collin's mother, whom I love dearly, is a "master decorator" and I can't let her see all my random attempts at trying to be like her!! I would lose all credibility!! LOL!!! ;) :D

Rachel
08-06-2005, 05:37 AM
Yes, I've used them and was pleased how they got marks off the walls that I had been unable to remove with all other attempts.

I will say that they are *used up* rather quickly and I don't believe they are economical for use as a regular house
cleaning product. I never thought of using them in the bathroom. One thing I have tried for scum that doesn't want to come off with the regular cleaning products is one of the rectangular mesh pads that you would use for cleaning dishes. I forget the name of them.

sirrahbed
08-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Karen

Karen I hope you buy one and try it - give us an update? 409 gives me a headache:eek:

Rachel - yes they are pricey to use for everything They get *used up* somehow and pretty quickly. I do keep one at the kitchen sink for everyday use though as I have a ivory porcelain sink that gets marked up easily - no more comet!

jenifert9 - I hope you impress Collin's mother with your beautifully decorated clean walls;)

Ginger's Mom
08-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Okay Debbie, I took your advise and tried one on the kitchen sink this morning. The result is...I was pleasantly surprised. :) Although I must admit that when I went into the closet I found that what I had was not the Mr. Clean one but the one made by Scotch. It seems to last longer because it has a sponge like backing on it for wiping residue. In any case, it worked nicely, thanks for the tip.

Laura's Babies
08-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Good Lord! :eek: Am I that far behind??? :confused: I never heard of it.. Will look for it soon as I get to a store and get one.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-08-2005, 07:25 PM
I got a pack today. There were 2 in the pack for around $2.50. I thought that was reasonable.

I tried one on the bathtub tonight and was very impressed!!!

No smell at all!!!! I'll keep buying them for sure!!!:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-08-2005, 08:59 PM
I bought some yesterday at KMart. There were 4 in a pack for about $3.00 (I think). They came with NO instructions! So I'm about to graduate with a new bachelor's degree in IT, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to use these things! :rolleyes: Do you get them wet or do you make the surface wet or do you just use them dry and then rinse? I'm so confused.....:rolleyes: ;) :D

I was surprised though. I lifted the package and it felt like there was nothing in it! I had to make sure the package was still sealed as I've already seen empty boxes on shelves (people remove and steal the contents but put the boxes back on the shelves).

Karen
08-08-2005, 09:05 PM
I just bought some at the supermarket. The package says to wet it first, then scrib away. Says test on an inconspicuous area first.

It's too darned hot and muggy tonight, but I'll let know know when I try it!

sirrahbed
08-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Magic Eraser (http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclean/products/eraser.shtml) has all sorts of ideas to use this and also how to use it (yes, wet and squeeze out first Debbie:) ) How silly to package it without instructions!!

No I do not work for Mr. Clean. I am just a clean freak.:rolleyes:

ramanth
08-09-2005, 09:19 AM
I just picked up a 4 pack and a 2 pack that were packaged together and on clearance this weekend.

Cleaned up the mold and mildew in the tub super quick and easy but I have some bad hard water stains that it didn't make a dent in.

Handy around the kitchen and bathroom. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-09-2005, 09:45 AM
We have this here too! Instead of "Mr. Clean", it is called "Mister Propre's (= same!) magic eraser.:)
It is SUPER!! There were old staines on our floor which were there for years now. One rub with this eraser, and GONE is that stain!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
(yes, wet and squeeze out first Debbie:) )

Thanks Debbie, and thanks for the site. Terry's first reaction was "What do you do with those?" My answer "Clean." He was confused and I couldn't help with the confusion much, but now I've got the website so I can answer all his questions! ;) :D

gini
08-13-2005, 06:20 PM
O.K. - here is my personal report on the Magic Eraser.

First of all a box of four cost $4.79 plus .40 cents tax...........not exactly cheap.

I tried one on my patio chairs. It loved cleaning the metal..........but at first I didn't think it did that well on the vinyl straps. But comparing a chair "before" against one "after" I think it did a pretty good and effortless job.

I realized there was mildew on the underside of the straps on the chairs and IT LOVED MILDEW. Gobbled it right up!

It took smudge marks off of a wall.

It removed a drink ring on my pine table with ease and I got overly zealous and cleaned the whole coffee table and side table with it. Cleaned up all of the old dirt like a whiz. All I have to do is re-oil the table.

Gotta go - there must be much more around here that needs some magic!!:D

mruffruff
08-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Well, you all convinced me to buy a package of 2 (2.88). Unfortunately there wasn't any 'energy' in there. Maybe TWO cups of caffeine in the morning............

PJ's Mom
08-14-2005, 02:24 AM
I scrubbed my entire kitchen/dining room floor with a couple of these erasers. Did it all by hand in under an hour. Can't do that well with a mop! ;)

sirrahbed
08-14-2005, 08:46 AM
This is a funny thread! I did not know it would set off cleaning frenzies;) I have been following the comments and have been through another entire eraser myself! Baseboards!!

gini
08-14-2005, 09:12 AM
I want you all to laugh AT me.............yesterday I was vacuuming and I noticed all of these scratches that occur over time on the vacuum.

I ran in - got my magic eraser and cleaned the outside of the vacuum.

Yes - baseboards are next!

UNITE - WOMEN - LET'S ERASE THE WORLD!:D :D

Freckles
03-03-2006, 01:06 PM
The new ones now have a backing so it seems to hold together better. I used one in the Microwave interior and got rid of some very old burnt on food. I'll definately use it again!! :)

Lizzie
03-03-2006, 01:38 PM
My reaction is not quite as bad as yours, but I do feel "stuffed up and chesty" when around strong fragrances and the like. I did a check on the internet and found this:

http://www.epinions.com/content_152645504644

You may have an allergic reaction to it even though it has no scent. I think I'll stick with Bon Ami, vinegar, salt and Bioclean.

I haven't - I just get such a bad reaction to most cleaning products that I don't try "new" ones without strong reason. And it is horribly disappointing when a product I have used in the past makes itself "new and improved" - changes something about the formula, and it makes me sick, literally.

We have a cleaning company the comes to the office where I work once a month. The first time they came, they used Tilex, and it made me so sick I had to leave the office for a while - just sat outside for half an hour while evryone opened windows and aired the place out. Now we're the only office that they use the cleaning prodicts we supply. Not good for productivity to slay the staff!

lv4dogs
03-03-2006, 01:46 PM
They have been out for quite some time now & I am still in love with them! lol It even removes crayon & mraker from wood & the like!

Karen
03-03-2006, 08:45 PM
I never did update, glad to see someone else brought this thread back up.

They are really, truly, honest-to-goodness scent-free. They work, clean pretty danged well, and smell like nothing. Yay!

Jessika
03-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Wow maybe we just got a bad batch, but... ours sucked and didn't work at all. LOL

*LabLoverKEB*
03-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Ohh, that thing is just amazing! My mom bought 2 of them, and she used them, and so did I. They took out oll of the dirt out of the fridge handles... and much much more! We probably need to get some more of them, though. I'd deffineatley give it a shot!

K9karen
03-03-2006, 11:02 PM
I went on line and got a $3 coupon off for the new Mr Clean cleaning "mop" that converts for hand use. Gesh, I forgot the name, but I saw the offer on HGTV so I just filled out the form.
The scary thing is that now I actually feel motivated to clean..Magic Eraser, here I come..
Ugh..Tilex. I have no allergies or breathing problems, but I had to leave the bathroom window open almost all day to kill the smell. It gave me a migraine. I thought I was the only person in the world who remembers and uses Bon Ami!

cyber-sibes
03-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Well, I have to join those singing praises here - we used those Magic Erasers at work to clean up the walls, displays, & counter tops, and I was very impressed! Will have to buy some to use at home.

IRescue452
03-03-2006, 11:23 PM
We used the mr. clean ones- worked great. Then we found that pick'n'save has a three pack of a generic brand for a dollar, so we tried them and they work great too. I have them at college with me. I think if you are going to be allergic to a chemical it wouldn't matter if it has a scent or not. The scent is just one allergen while the chemicals in cleaners are another. Perhaps though if you used gloves while cleaning you wouldn't have a reaction of the chemicals or scent. Then you can still enjoy the product.

pnance
03-04-2006, 01:55 AM
I love these!!! I have no idea how it works just that it manages to get everything up without scrubbing or anything else, and since I hate cleaning that I'm all for anything that makes it easier!!!

anna_66
03-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I did have one before and really wasn't that impressed (I was told they clean slingers off the wall well:p) but now you make me want to try them again.
I never thought of using it in the bathroom, guess it's on my grocery list now!

IRescue452
03-04-2006, 09:47 AM
They work really well for cleaning shoes too, but its a little messy.

christa
03-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the tip Deb. If anything, I need one just for my kitchen sink! I also have a porcelain sink . . . not sure what color yours is but mine is black and it is soooooooo hard to keep clean! It shows EVERYTHING! This little booger just might do the trick! I can't wait now!!!