PDA

View Full Version : Black Cat question-answers needed

Abby&Buddy'sMom
08-05-2005, 06:51 AM
Do black cats' muzzles (nose and chin area) turn gray when they get old, as a dog would do?? :confused: This was a question that popped up yesterday at work and nobody knew the answer. Anyone know?

smokey the elder
08-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Bubba and Diva are both 9 years old and don't have gray muzzles yet. My mom's cat Ebony is 14; same deal. Black cats of any age often have white hairs in their coat. Many have a white spot by their "privates" and a white "locket" on their chest.

(I have 5 black cats between my own and fosters.):)

catmandu
08-05-2005, 07:48 AM
MR SCRAPPYS,CERTAINLY DID,AND I NOTICED,THAT VERY SAME THING,WITH THE PRINCESS,WHO IS A BLACK,AND GRAY TABBY.
AS I HAVE NEVER BEEN GUARDIAN,TO AN ALL BLACK CAT,I WILL HAVE,TO LEAVE THAT,TO OTHERS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cfb4b0ba.jpg

Laura's Babies
08-05-2005, 08:22 AM
I have had several and never noticed them graying... Samantha is to young right now for her to gray if she is one that does.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Tubby's didn't. I noticed a few stray gray hairs all over his body, but certainly not enough to even consider that he was going gray in his old age. I had always wondered the same, and since Tubby was 18 1/2, he should be a pretty good indicator, but then again every cat is different and also, it might start happening later, like if the cat lives to 20 or older.

ramanth
08-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Our family black cat, Sable, got a little gray AND brown as he got older.

He was 15 when he died of cancer. :(

kuhio98
08-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Cuddles (my brother's cat) lived to the ripe old age of 16 and never greyed.

AlleyCat
08-05-2005, 12:24 PM
My Onyx is black and 12 years old and has not changed color. But my RB Rascal (tabby markings) did get a white chin as she got older.

Abby&Buddy'sMom
08-05-2005, 03:16 PM
now it should be ok to guess that most likely they will not gray up:) although abby might since she has a lot of gray already on he belly:)

Glacier
08-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Mystic, my sister's cat, is solid black. He's 16 now and is greying, but not on his muzzle like a dog. He has grey hairs scattered throughout his fur now.

Lots of dogs grey even very young. I have a five year old black and tan husky mix who's muzzle is so grey he looks at least five years older! I know exactly when he was born. A good friend of mine saw him enter this world and has his littermates. He's definately only five! Lots of people comment on how active Franklin is "for an old dog" LOL