PDA

View Full Version : Health insurance (in USA)

jenluckenbach
08-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Are there any adults here living without health insurance?

When Charlie (my husband) lost his job in March, he of course, lost his benefits. My job supplies NO benefits at all.

We have been waiting the 6 month period for his new (part time job) to begin the benefits.

Well, today, the forms came and reality hit! No one ever told us that as a part time employee he can NOT get insurance for a spouse. :(

What am I going to do? I am on thyroid medicine and require blood tests, I am on a high blood pressure medicine and an anti-depressant. The anti-depressant is prescribed and monitored by a psychiatrist who's 15 minute office visit is over $300. (according to the last bill the former insurance company paid).

There is absoultely no way on God's green earth that I can afford health insurance that is not supplied by an employer?

I am doomed! :(

caseysmom
08-04-2005, 05:15 PM
I think there are some health plans available for cases like yours, maybe you can inquire with some social service departments.

joycenalex
08-04-2005, 05:30 PM
jen, your doctor gets samples to pass out to patients, tell your doctor about your lack of insurance and ask for their help in getting the free/reduced cost meds ; many pharmacutical companies will give free/reduced rate meds, IF you or some one from the doctors office and the doctor connects you with their forms. i did that type of paperwork for many years. the hospital i work for currently does a lot of 'charity care' . call the hospital, find out the number for the financial aid officer, there is always one, and they can help you with the lab bills, also ask them if they are a teaching hospital and how to connect with their community medicine clinics. there are local cancer societies that will do free/sliding scale mammograms/pap smears/colo-rectal screenings, to keep you healthy, the hospital social workers can connect you.
there should be no stigma in this, it is a fact of life. you can PM me for more info ((hugs))

catnapper
08-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Exactly... I know there's state aid. You can even fill out the info online. We were not elligable, but you might be. Worth a try.
{{{HUGS}}}

I can't remember the site, so I can't link it, but will find it for you.

Edwina's Secretary
08-04-2005, 05:59 PM
What about COBRA from his last job? DO you belong to any associations....AARP, etc? Most offer group insurance at a discount to members. Can you get the anti-depressant from your primary care physician? Can you use a mail order prescription plan that saves you money by one co-pay for multi-months' worth of drugs?

Look on the internet. I know some people have found insurance on there that is lower cost than COBRA.

Check with his employer. If he pays the entire spouse premium can they make the coverage available at group rates?

Karen
08-04-2005, 06:08 PM
NASE - National Association for self-employed. When I used it for a year or so, the rates were quite reasonable, and they covered a lot. If you work for a small business, or are self-employed, you qualify.

K9karen
08-04-2005, 07:14 PM
I really, really feel your pain! What an awful situation to be in. And to get so stressed over it, only makes you feel sicker.
When I went on SSD my COBRA was extended for another 6 months. It runs out on Sept 30. This year I pay almost $500 a month and I still have to pay copays and deductables. I owe the hospital over $5000.
I called AARp and Blue Cross today to get info on Medigap since Medicare starts Oct 1. But I'm lucky. Before I got extended on COBRA, I called to get health insurance, only to find out that if you have a preexisting condition, you're not covered for that ailment for a year. How fair is that? Does anyone LIKE being sick or disabled? If you check online, you'll see prices for AARP or call them, they're really nice and helpful. Good luck Jen.

smokey the elder
08-05-2005, 10:50 AM
There is a new private sector group called Partnership for Prescription Assistance which helps folks like you get meds at a discount.

Craftlady
08-05-2005, 11:38 AM
State of KY (for teachers) makes it so expensive to have spouses on a policy. If you have the family plan its reasonable. I dont have insurance. I get discounts at my doctors, they give me samples when I can, I'm on discount program at our local pharmacy. Try going through your local health department. Also for mammagrams I go through Susan Coleman Foundation (I get them free). Contact your local health dept or at the hospital their womens wellness center. Yes, I was hospitalized for 10days, help from family took care of all but hospital and er bill. We pay $50 a month for ever. A hospital cant refuse you treatment.

As far as other assistantance we dont qualify because hubby makes to much. I laughed at that one because teachers dont get paid enough.
Here are two programs that you should look into
rxassist.org
needymeds.com
We were like $1000 shy of qualifying on one program.

bostonblizz21
09-29-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
I think there are some health plans available for cases like yours, maybe you can inquire with some social service departments.
Hello Caseysmom,

try checking out http://www.insurance-quote-free.com/chris cheaper! my sister-in-law's insured with them. we checked out NASE before but had negative comments about it. My car is insured with them also.

Goodluck!

Boston:)

K9karen
09-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Jen, the state of Pa has pretty affordable health care. I found it by accident when I was searching for supplemental insurance a month ago. Can't remember the site but I found it while googling. It's geared towards Pennsylvanians with no health insurance.