PDA

View Full Version : Dove "real women" ad campaign

sirrahbed
08-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Has anyone seen the fairly recent Dove skin products ads that feature "normal" sized women? They are lined up in their underwear...... now on billboards and in magazines. I love them!! The women look more like....ME:)

I was just now watching a news special on television with many folks saying that the ads turned them OFF and would probably hurt the company. This makes no sense to me because these women are very beautiful and normal sized - like real women ARE!

I wish I could post a picture but if you google "dove ad" - you can see it:)

here ya go (http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/flat3.asp?id=2287)

Killearn Kitties
08-04-2005, 04:09 PM
I know the one you mean, it has been running here for a few months. I haven't heard any feedback about it though, whether it is well received or not. I will try to find out what the reaction has been here.

PJ's Mom
08-04-2005, 04:25 PM
It's about time these companies started using "real" women. :)

RedHedd
08-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Yup, seen them, LOVE them! Makes me want to try the product! Isn't that what good advertising is all about?

catnapper
08-04-2005, 05:44 PM
I thought those commercials were GREAT! I have used Dove forever and will continue to do so.

The people offended... well, they need a reality check. Yet they don't get offended by some of the sexy commercials with a naked annorexic women on the screen :rolleyes:

wolflady
08-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Wow! I have to agree, it's about time they used "normal" looking women. Even these were still on the thin side, but still...not sickly so.

I don't see how people could be turned off or offended by these types of ads. Personally, I'm offended by all of the aneroxia that is promoted. I hate looking in clothing magazines, because I can never tell what the clothes would really look like. Sure, they always look great on anorexic "hangars", but not pear-shaped short people like me! *sigh*

**hugs**

Edwina's Secretary
08-04-2005, 06:06 PM
I just read a couple articles about these ads. The women are sized 6 - 12....average woman is sized 14. But they do look more real than usual. The one with the tattoo? Her parents learned she has a tattoo from the ad...:D :D

What has some people offended is the ad is for a so-called "cellulite cream." So the offense is using real women but still selling thin.

I think it is a good ad and achieves the purpose...

senorita02
08-04-2005, 08:30 PM
I did see this ad, and i was also glad about it, i am sick of the stick thin gals in the ads, stick thin is fine too but they ought to show that everyone doesnt all look the same way!

It is a much healthier body image for younger girls who are struggling with eating disorders and such.

sirrahbed
08-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Yes, the ad is great IMO. I did not know it was cellulite cream - just saw DOVE and I like their products anyway. I doubt is a celulite product would do much for me,. seeing that I am beyong repair. I also like the "Hanes Her Way" ads with the plumper women. Or - "ruebenesque" as my hubby calls them (and me;) )

Killearn Kitties
08-05-2005, 05:40 AM
I hadn't picked up that the ad was for firming products either. I just took it to be a general ad for Dove products.

Apparently since the campaign was launched at the end of March, Dove have increased their share of the firming product market in the UK from 1% to 6%.

600% is a BIG increase in your market share!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Great isn't it? Its okay to have wrinkles and wobbly bits!!!!

anna_66
08-05-2005, 08:44 AM
I've seen the ads and love them!

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/flat3.asp?id=2287

My 13 and 15 yr old nieces were here and we had seen the ad and they loved the commercial, they even thought the women were beautiful not fat and both of them are skinny theirselves! It made me happy to hear even young girls like the "healthy" look" :D

catland
08-05-2005, 12:50 PM
I have no problem with the women themselves. Its the white underwear I find to be really dumb looking. What, a "normal" sized woman can't wear something more attractive?:eek:

senorita02
08-05-2005, 02:11 PM
LOL thats pretty funny catland:D

I agree, why not have some plus size Victoria Secret Models.

DJFyrewolf36
08-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by senorita02
LOL thats pretty funny catland:D

I agree, why not have some plus size Victoria Secret Models.

My husband always says that the only secret Victoria has is trying to cram normal people into thier products lol.

I'm glad to see that someone is finally deciding to use healthy women in ads instead of these sickly women that you normally see. I've got a friend that is a model, and the size they want her to be is absolutely insane. She isn't healthy at all, and you can see her ribs poking out. :(

finn's mom
08-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by catland
I have no problem with the women themselves. Its the white underwear I find to be really dumb looking. What, a "normal" sized woman can't wear something more attractive?:eek:

I like the white panties. Maybe they're just trying to make the focus be on the women and not their underwear? Know what I mean? I see what YOU'RE saying, too, and, can totally see where you're coming from...but, just thought I'd throw something out there, too. The white is clean and fresh and the plainness is not distracting from the skin and bodies of the women in them. I guess maybe it's just not about dressing up to be sexy, you can be sexy just by being a woman...I don't know, I'm hungry and I just woke up...so, I may very well be talking out my you-know-what. :)

Scooby4
08-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Us "Normal" women seem to ONLY have the option of "White, beige, Black" bras or panties!!! Once you get my size that is ALL you can get and they put it on the BOTTOM Rack!!! :mad: Itty-bitty titty women why don't you bend down with your itty bitty "rack" and pick out some pretty White "Could be used as a floation device" bras!!!???:rolleyes: :D
Sorry, I get soo frustrated with that!!! I think it is GREAT with the Dove ads. Others are going to be doing it too!!! I like to know I am NOT abnormal and can be found "sexy". You can't always believe your spouse or boyfriend!:p
The negative response to the ads is just media hype. They don't like that us "normal" people are finally putting our foot into the "beatiful" people's door!!!;)
By the way... It is Cellulite cream they are selling!!! Who better to sell it to than women who have it?:cool: That is my only critiscism about the ad is that NO cellulite is showing which is STILL NOT what us women look like!!!:rolleyes:

Nomilynn
08-07-2005, 01:27 PM
I hardly see those women as "average" or "plus size" women. While it's nice to see companies moving in that direction they are still a long way from the mark. All those women have flat stomaches, curves in all the right places, etc etc. None of them are overweight. As far as I'm concerned they still have a ways to go.

Twisterdog
08-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I hardly see those women as "average" or "plus size" women. While it's nice to see companies moving in that direction they are still a long way from the mark. All those women have flat stomaches, curves in all the right places, etc etc. None of them are overweight. As far as I'm concerned they still have a ways to go.

I agree. While it's a step in the right direction ... at least those women don't look anorexic ... they are by NO MEANS "plus-sized." Those women are certainly smaller then the "average" American women. And I find it pitiful that smaller-than-average women are considered "plus-sized" because they are not a size 2. :mad:

jesse_3
08-09-2005, 12:33 AM
I am glad that they have started to put up real women, not the anorexic, sick ones. I say good for Dove!

Steph and Jes

mruffruff
08-09-2005, 07:28 AM
I tried to buy a convertible bra, but they don't make my size. I don't want to be sexy, but just don't want my straps to show in sleeveless blouses.

I like the ads, but agree that they don't go quite far enough. Maybe the company was testing the waters to see if the public would accept larger than normal models. If this campaign is successful (and it must be if we're talking about it), maybe even more voluptuous models will be used.

Randi
08-09-2005, 08:52 AM
I hadn't seen the ad, but I think it's great they show women in a real size!! Dove will probably sell more now, and others will most likely copy them.