PDA

View Full Version : My constant battle with acceptance

K9soul
08-04-2005, 09:14 AM
I actually wrote this as more of a journaling exercise to gain insight and help me deal with some things, but the more I wrote and read, the more I wondered if it might not hold meaning for someone else out there too... and I felt more and more I wanted to share it. It is a bit long, but perhaps someone out there will find something in it for themselves too.

-----

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

Never have words spoken so resoundingly to me throughout my life as these have. My greatest trial, my greatest pitfall, has always been ACCEPTANCE. Acceptance of those things I cannot change. Any unexpected variant to my life, and I am speaking of things that are troublesome or problematic, and I am overtaken by intense anxiety and agitation. At these times, the only thing I can think is, "No, no, no! It can't be this way. I don't want it to be this way, I don't want this to deal with. I want it to be like it was before." Sitting lodged at this impasse, I cannot even begin to tackle the problem at hand because I simply refuse to accept it. I also cannot enjoy anything else around me because my mind is consumed with the problem, and nonacceptance of it.

It is not that I don't try. I am well aware that this is a vice with me and it is something I continually battle. Sometimes, I succeed for awhile, only to have my own mind betray me with a sudden thought or memory of how it was before the problem started, how much easier things were, how I didn't have to worry so much, and wouldn't it be nice if things were still that way?

I'm honest with myself, too. I know this is not something I will ever completely conquer, and to expect that of myself is to put too great a burden on me. I think everyone struggles with this issue to at least some degree, it is human nature to want to always have control of life's happenings. We don't want to deal with medical problems, financial problems, relationship problems, unhappy situations.

It helps to share my burdens with friends, however, I often end up putting this off or trivializing it, because sharing a burden is part of acceptance for me. By talking about it, it makes it real, makes it something I really have to deal with. When they don't know about it yet, it means they act like everything is "normal" when they talk to me and I can pretend it is too.

When I was younger, one time we were supposed to have a huge snowstorm and I was counting on it so that school would be canceled. This wasn't just a kid's fun wish, it was big for me because I was miserable in school, dealing with other kids' cruelty. One girl I had real problems with, her mother was my teacher and also didn't like me, so it was doubly miserable. Well the snow storm ended up not really hitting my area hard, and as I listened to the school cancellations and mine wasn't on it, I completely broke down. I was sobbing and in such incredible emotional angst, I could just not accept that what I was SO SURE would happen, I had even made plans for the day, had not happened. Mom was comforting but not coddling.. And eventually she brought me into the spare bedroom and pointed at a plaque on the wall, telling me to read it. Of course I had seen it plenty of times before, it had been hanging on the wall in our home as long as I could remember. It was the first part of the Serenity Prayer. "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

From that day forth, that prayer was a balm to my soul, a reminder, something to cling to when I just felt I could not accept what was going on. I repeat it in my mind, over and over, when things are really hard. It is not about controlling what is happening, it is not saying, "God please make it better, please take this burden away from me." It is asking for the ability accept, and move on. Praying "please take it away" only makes me feel more panicky and despairing, but when I pray for simply peace and acceptance, only in that do I find strength to overcome my anxiety. Another phrase I repeat is a song lyric that has stood out to me for years, saying simply, "Whatever happens will be." That phrase is so very powerful to me, the essence of acceptance. When I say this to myself, I can often then take a deep breath, and open my eyes again to everything around me. I am then often able to gain perspective as well as acceptance, and I have found that acceptance is the true pathway to inner peace.

-Jfrank
-----

Pawsitive Thinking
08-04-2005, 09:21 AM
That is soooo good. I work on the theory that in 24 hours the thing I am worrying about happening tomorrow will be over and I will have coped with it..................this has got me throught job interviews to Dad's funeral......

finn's mom
08-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Jessica, that's a wonderful prayer, thank you for sharing it and your story. You know how to reach me when you need to talk. I have a difficult time with acceptance, too. I need to write that down and carry it with me. Thank you.

Logan
08-04-2005, 12:23 PM
I love your honesty and your choice of words, Jessica. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Logan

sirrahbed
08-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I love your honesty and your choice of words, Jessica. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Logan
I wanted to second what Logan said. This is a very honest and thoughtful journal entry. I think lots of us can relate to wanting acceptance. Isn't it part of being a human? I feel a certain insecurity at times - or maybe it is just a natural feeling. This is another reason I come to PetTalk! We have pets in common but lots of other things as well:)

joycenalex
08-04-2005, 05:42 PM
thank you for writing and posting this.

luvofallhorses
08-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Thank you for sharing and posting, Jessica! :)

anna_66
08-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
Never have words spoken so resoundingly to me throughout my life as these have. My greatest trial, my greatest pitfall, has always been ACCEPTANCE. Acceptance of those things I cannot change. Any unexpected variant to my life, and I am speaking of things that are troublesome or problematic, and I am overtaken by intense anxiety and agitation. At these times, the only thing I can think is, "No, no, no! It can't be this way. I don't want it to be this way, I don't want this to deal with. I want it to be like it was before." Sitting lodged at this impasse, I cannot even begin to tackle the problem at hand because I simply refuse to accept it. I also cannot enjoy anything else around me because my mind is consumed with the problem, and nonacceptance of it.

First let me say how wonderful this is, you have such a way with words.

Secondly, when I read this, expecially the above paragraph I almost started bawling. I'm dealing with something right now and it's just consuming me. It may not seem like anything to some people, but to me it's everything. So these words are EXACTLY the way I feel. You say it better for me than I can say it myself.
I feel as if it was fate that you posted this.
I will try to take it with me in dealing with my problem.
Thank You Jess:)

K9soul
08-04-2005, 08:25 PM
Thank you everyone, for your kind words. Anna, it makes me feel incredible that my words were able to touch you and help you in any way in what you are dealing with. I am so glad. I just had a feeling after I wrote it and read over it that it might have meaning for others too, and I'm so glad you saw it and found comfort in it. Thank you too for posting and telling me, really made my evening :).

Daisy and Delilah
08-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Jessica, There is no doubt in anyone's mind that you have a way with words like no one else. What a great gift you have. I am always inspired by all that you do. Thank you so much for posting this. I was so touched by this piece, I forwarded it to my daughter. I think we all can relate to it in some way but it's especially appropriate to my daughter's life.
This will help her more than you know. I am only a PM away if you need to talk. {{{HUGS}}}

Terry

RobiLee
08-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Wow! This has really touched me, Jess. I have to tell you that when I was reading it I almost felt like you were in my head and writing my thoughts. There is no way I could have ever put them in print like you though. You are such an elegant writer and you have an amazing way of reaching out. Thank you for sharing this, Jess.

{{Big hugs for you, my dear friend}}

K9karen
08-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Lord above knows I'm trying. Everyday is a battle and a challenge.

popcornbird
08-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Jessica, that was so beautiful. So beautiful.

Everything that happens in this world happens with God's will. Sometimes, we all wish we could change things, but there are times when we cannot. At such times, I find it best to accept God's will, no matter how difficult, and pray to Him for comfort, and ease. We have to submit to God's will, because that is not something we can change. God knows what is best for us even when we do not. I have found that praying with sincerity often brings miraculous changes. Deep and sincere faith can take a person a long way, and bring comfort and acceptance to one's heart.

What a sweet, and very true post. {{{hugs}}}