PDA

View Full Version : frontline for cats

finn's mom
08-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Hey, has anyone ever used frontline for cats on their dogs? Finn weighs about sixty pounds, so, I didn't know if the cat frontline would be strong enough to use on him or not. We have some of the cat stuff, and, I was just going to use that for this month and get the dog stuff next month. But, not if it not won't work, or if it would be dangerous somehow....just wondering.....thanks!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-04-2005, 09:03 AM
sorry, only used frontline for the animal in question....very effective though

wolfsoul
08-04-2005, 09:10 AM
I would call the vet and ask. You never know, there might be something in it that is fine for cats but toxic to dogs. Better to be safe. :)

lv4dogs
08-04-2005, 09:24 AM
I'd call the vet to ask. You may have to use a few tubes so it equals a 60lb dose.

I know the Advantage formulas are all the same for dogs & cats, they just seperate it for the proper weight dose.

I *think* revolution is a different formula for cats 7 dogs.

Not sure at all about frontiline.

finn's mom
08-04-2005, 09:24 AM
I did call the vet, talked to the receptionist. She said the dosage wouldn't be effective, but, I was asking to see if there was anyone who'd used it and whether it was effective or not. :)

lv4dogs
08-04-2005, 09:33 AM
I know you can use the cat or the dog doses on ferrets, rabbits, etc... just like you can with advantage. So my guess would be that if you can use either on ferrets and ferrets are very sensative it should be fine to use on dogs. But you want to make sure you have enough so for ex. if you have the cat dose for 10lbs, you'd need 6 doses for your 60lb dog.

You're vet may be saying that because she either misunderstood & thought that you were wondering if a 10lb cat dose would work on a 60lb dog? Or maybe they are saying that so they get more money? Or maybe it really won't protect your dog.
Maybe call back & explain further or call another vet?

finn's mom
08-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Yeah, she said doubling the dose doesn't really work, like you can accidentally overdose and it doesn't hurt. She said it wouldn't matter if I put the whole box on Finn, that it wouldn't be effective. I was just wanting to see if there was anyone who'd ever used it and it was effective. :) Thanks for the replies so far!