PDA

View Full Version : Yuck- Tuna!

Sirrahsim
08-04-2005, 03:56 AM
I hate seafood with a passion.... but for some reason I'm sitting here spooning tuna onto crackers and eating it:rolleyes: I can't stop!
Anyone else crave tuna?

Pawsitive Thinking
08-04-2005, 04:42 AM
Yeah! especially mixed with sweetcorn, mayo and on a freshly baked potato....................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sirrahbed
08-04-2005, 07:45 AM
I like mine with chopped apples and pecans:)
I wonder if you are craving iodine Missy?? Dumb thought but maybe??

(Missy has Graves thyroid disease - recently has come back with Tyler's surgical delivery)

Back on topic - I LOVE tuna. Sweetcorn sounds yummy! How do the rest of of you fix yours?

katienoonan
08-04-2005, 07:51 AM
I like mine with Miracle Whip(no mayo please) and onion.

Mmmmmmm.....I think I might have to go to the grocery store today.

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-04-2005, 07:51 AM
I like to make my own tuna salad! I crush one box of tuna, then mix it with 2 tablespoons of my homemade mayonnaise! YUMMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samantha Puppy
08-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Mix it with mayo, add chopped onions and sliced green olives.

mina'smomma
08-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Before I became allergic to it I loved eating tuna with mayo, onions and relish. It was my favorite food until I got that blasted allergy. I crave it more now than ever. You guys know the whole forbidden food thing.

sirrahbed
08-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Now I am wanting tuna, too! In the summer - I like to make it as part of a cold pasta salad - basically the same as always only adding it to elbow or seashell (or any) pasta. I like penne too because it is chunky and meaty! It makes a nice summer meal and the pasta extends a can a tuna to feed up to four people. Fixed without pasta - sometimes I serve it inside a fresh tomato.

A few ways we like it:
**the traditional way with mayo, onions, sweetrelish, green pepper and LOTS of hard boiled egg:) a dab of mustard is good, too.

**with chopped waterchestnuts for crunch or raisins for some sweetness.

**with thawed frozen peas, cheese cubes and canned green chilis. This really is GOOD!

**I think my way with pecans and chopped apples is a southern thing - not sure, but along with mayo or Miracle Whip it is a good salad.

I usually make it with nonfat mayo to make it healthier as I cannot tell any difference to regular mayo.

Sometimes I make the same salads only using crab, imitation crab/seafood or shrimps YUM!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Miracle Whip

Oops :confused: , what the heck is "Miracle Whip" ??

caseysmom
08-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Miracle whip is a tangy mayo, I think they add more vinegar to it. My kids hate it but I like it.

sirrahbed
08-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
Miracle whip is a tangy mayo, I think they add more vinegar to it. My kids hate it but I like it.
Yes - it is a brand name for salad dressing. It looks just like mayo but tangier like caseysmom said.:D

mruffruff
08-04-2005, 02:53 PM
I like to mix a can of well-drained tuna with chopped raw carrots, green pepper, celery and a touch of onion with a teaspoon of lemon juice and enough sour cream to moisten well. I use Ritz-type crackers to scoop it up. Yummy!

luvofallhorses
08-04-2005, 02:55 PM
I LOVE tuna and seafood! Yummy! :D

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Ych, I hate seafood and tuna!:p

luvofallhorses
08-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Oh oops, I make mine with mayo, diced pickles, and mustard :)

sirrahbed
08-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by mruffruff
enough sour cream to moisten well.
ahh! sour cream sounds wonderful - will have to try this!!:) Have you ever tried the fat-free sour cream ? - I have some in the fridge...

PJ's Mom
08-04-2005, 03:41 PM
The smell of tuna nauseates me so I don't eat it and want to move out of my house when someone else eats it. :p

anna_66
08-04-2005, 04:07 PM
(Missy has Graves thyroid disease - recently has come back with Tyler's surgical delivery)

Wow, I have that too.

Now for the tuna, I can eat it like a sandwich with mustard & mayo or just right out of the can (or bag, I like the bagged kind best...no messy water!) with salt and pepper.

sirrahbed
08-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
Wow, I have that too.

me too!! :rolleyes:

katienoonan
08-04-2005, 05:44 PM
I make my own cold tuna salad too. It's got mircale whip, a little sugar and milk for the "sauce" shell noodles, sharp cheddar cheese, onion and celery. I have never actually measured any of this so I don't have a recipe but one day I might have to. lol

Karen
08-04-2005, 06:03 PM
I love tuna, but am now allergic to all fish. :( :( :( :(
In the summer, there was nothing better than tuna salad, made with celery and a bit of garlic salt and homemade mayonaise, on toast. The tuna's a little salty, the celery cool and crunchy, and all together it's just perfect!

I am now allergic to everything but the bread (most mayo has lemon juice in it which I'm allergic to, and I'm allergic to celery, fish, and have been told to avoid garlic). Sigh.

Somebody have a tunasammich for me, okay?

LoudLou
08-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Tuna with mayo, a tiny bit of garlic powder, shredded cheese, some cashews and avocado... mmmm

luvofallhorses
08-04-2005, 06:14 PM
I'll eat a tuna sandwich for you, Karen :) That sucks you're allergic to all fish :(

Oggyflute
08-04-2005, 06:35 PM
I love Tuna:) From a can a good quality one like Sirena is best. Here's my favourite tuna recipe I threw together.:)

TUNA & MUSHROOM STUFFED TOMATOES
(Created by Trev)

Ingredients:
6 large tomatoes
Salt & pepper
30g butter
3 tbsp plain flour
300ml milk
250gm tuna (flaked)
6 mushrooms (diced)
½ green capsicum (diced)
1 brown onion (diced)
100gm cheddar cheese, grated

Preparation:
Heat oven to 190C.
Sauté onions. Capsicum and mushrooms until flavour released and colour turned. Remove from pan and set aside.
Cut tops off tomatoes. Hollow each one out, removing seeds and some flesh. Sprinkle lightly with salt inside and turn upside down to drain.
Meanwhile, heat butter and stir in flour. Off heat, whisk in milk. Return to heat and bring to boil, whisking continuously, until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in tuna, mushrooms, capsicum, onions and half the cheese. Season. Divide mixture into tomato shells. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes until topping is golden brown.
Serve on a bed of tomato flavoured noodles or rice.

GoldenRetrLuver
08-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
The smell of tuna nauseates me so I don't eat it and want to move out of my house when someone else eats it. :p

My sister was the same way. Whenever someone would eat tuna, she would literally run into her room and cry because she hated the smell. She's tons better now, though. It doesn't bother her at all. :p

Tuna is really the only type of seafood/fish that I'll eat. I'll usually just make a sandwich out of it and it's good. :)

luvofallhorses
08-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Oggy,

that does sound good but how I had a bad expierience at a resturaunt with the tuna being *too* dry, I had to make it tastefull with adding mustard to it, but my mom would probably make some good tuna salad stuffed tomatoes :)

Oggyflute
08-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by luvofallhorses
Oggy,

that does sound good but how I had a bad expierience at a resturaunt with the tuna being *too* dry, I had to make it tastefull with adding mustard to it, but my mom would probably make some good tuna salad stuffed tomatoes :)

Yep, it all boils down to good quality Tuna. I'm not sure if you can get the "Sirena" brand in Nth America, but as far as canned Tuna goes, it's the best I've come across. Lovely colour and texture.:)

BitsyNaceyDog
08-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Sirrahsim
I hate seafood with a passion.... but for some reason I'm sitting here spooning tuna onto crackers and eating it:rolleyes: I can't stop!
Anyone else crave tuna?

Haha, that's so funny- I LOVE seafood but HATE tuna. I used to like it but lately tuna has been making me sick. I can't stand the look or smell of it.
When I did like it I would eat it plain. Just tuna and bread, no mayo or anything.

gemini9961
08-05-2005, 12:54 AM
I like my tuna with a little mayo and some relish. Nothing special really, although I might have to keep in mind other people's ways to make tuna on here to make mine a little more special. I had a tuna sandwich today. :)

RobiLee
08-05-2005, 01:17 AM
I'm a big tuna eater...lol.

I eat tuna salad which I make with miracle whip, sweet relish and diced onions and sometimes hard boiled eggs.

Another quickie tuna dish I like is macaroni, cream of mushroom soup, onion and some cheese.

Tuna cakes are good and quick also. Just add egg, crackers, salt and pepper.

I like some of the Tuna Helpers also.

Like Anna, I've also been known to eat it straight with just a bit of salt and pepper.

My all time favorite and one of my comfort foods is TUNA AND GRAVY OVER TOAST! That is the best!

gemini9961
08-05-2005, 04:55 AM
I had no idea there were so many ways to make tuna. What a sheltered tuna life I have been living. :)

sirrahbed
08-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Sirrahsim
Anyone else crave tuna?

Uhmmm...just a thought but have you taken a pregnancy test daughter??:eek: ;) :)

mina'smomma
08-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Karen
I love tuna, but am now allergic to all fish. :( :( :( :(
In the summer, there was nothing better than tuna salad, made with celery and a bit of garlic salt and homemade mayonaise, on toast. The tuna's a little salty, the celery cool and crunchy, and all together it's just perfect!

I am now allergic to everything but the bread (most mayo has lemon juice in it which I'm allergic to, and I'm allergic to celery, fish, and have been told to avoid garlic). Sigh.

Somebody have a tunasammich for me, okay?

Karen,

I know just how you feel. I never became allergic to it until I got into high school then all of sudden I'd break out in major hives and I would swell so much that I couldn't breath. I think we need to make up a support group for those of us who love fish and can't have it. Becasue it sucks loving a food so much and then not be able to have it.

ramanth
08-05-2005, 11:18 AM
I love tuna! I like tuna fish sandwiches (tuna, mayo, green peppers, and onions - mom sometimes adds cucumbers), tuna mixed in with Mac & Cheese, or sometimes just straight from the can! :D

luvofallhorses
08-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Karen,

I am eating a tuna fish sandwich for you right now :)

manda_moo87
08-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Mmm... tuna mixed with Miracle Whip is SO good. I think I'll go mae myself a tuna sandwich now. :D

katienoonan
08-05-2005, 04:53 PM
It's funny how the only seafood I will eat is Tuna

Karen
08-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Thank you for having me a tunafish sandwich! :)

Mina's Momma - I agree, but it might be too depressing rhapsodising about what we can no longer eat, doncha think?

Cookiebaker
08-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Uhmmm...just a thought but have you taken a pregnancy test daughter??:eek: ;) :)

haha :D that was my first thought. :)

I'm pretty particular about tuna. My Mom used to make it with all these veggies in it (celery and peas and such) and I really do not care for that. I make it with just miracle whip and relish, spread on a wheat tortilla topped with pickle and lettuce. YUMMY!

I also have an awesome recipe for tuna burgers that are fried. I dont' remember what in them but they are really good.

Sirrahsim
08-05-2005, 08:26 PM

Don't even suggest such a thing!!! Tyler has only been sleeping through the night for a week or two so my mini-pill should still be quite good enough. *gulp*:eek: :D Another May baby?:p ;)