PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Weightloss

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-03-2005, 08:05 PM
What are some good ideas to lose weight? I just need some good ideas. I have a few already, like portions need to be smaller and I need to excersize more, but what are some other ideas? Maybe I just need control... but what are some good foods to eat and such?

Uabassoon
08-03-2005, 08:14 PM
I agree with you that watching your portions is a big part of healthy weight loss. Also make sure you don't totally deprive yourself of anything, that will just lead to binging later. No food is totally off limits, you just need to learn how to properly portion it. Don't concentrate on your end goal, it will just make you dissapointed. Work on small goals at a time. I did weight watchers and did wonderful on the program. I'm not sure how old you are, but I think if you are under 18 you need a doctors note.

Another important thing is don't starve yourself! Not eating enough can actually make weight loss slower instead of faster. Your metabolism will slow down because your body will try to conserve the calories you eat. You need to eat to lose weight! Eat breakfast, it will get your metabolism started.

grybai
08-03-2005, 09:02 PM
I think I big part of it is keeping healthy food in the house. If I have junk food I'm more inclined to eat that, but if all I have is fruits and vegetables I'll snack on them. This is especially true for my problem foods. I have no self control when it comes to ice cream, so when I was trying to lose weight I wouldn't keep ice cream in the house and just go out for a cone every now and then.

popcornbird
08-03-2005, 09:58 PM
What Laura said.

Don't deprive yourself of anything......just count your calories, and eat smaller portions, AND, eat more frequently. What I mean by that is..........instead of eating a big meal for lunch, divide that meal into three parts. Because you want to lose weight, take 1/3rd out. Eat more than half of the rest for lunch, and eat the rest later, for snack. Eating smaller portions and more frequently helps in making your metabolism faster.

Be sure to eat HEALTHY. Don't miss breakfast. Don't eat things with sugar...deprive yourself of that. ;) Not completely, but try not to eat sweets much at all. I noticed when I do that, my weight DROPS. Don't drink too much juice......Juice, though full of vitamins, has a high sugar/carb content which will do more harm than good when trying to lose weight.

AND, most important, EXERCISE!!! I try to aim for at least an hour a day. I've been lagging behind lately, but I'm going back on my workout spree as I have more to lose. When I did the things I listed above, I dropped 25 pounds.........slowly, and steadily, but that weight never came back. Take things slowly, and don't TELL yourself you are on a diet. ;) Just change your eating habits for life.

slleipnir
08-03-2005, 11:04 PM
My aunt lost a lot of weight from cutting back on junk food considerably and eatting good. She also walked everyday

jesse_3
08-03-2005, 11:05 PM
I agree with those two. One diet that I have found to be healthy and get your energy level higher, is the fruit diet!
You eat mainly fruit/veggies and some meat and whole grains along with it.

Example, fruit for breakfast, veggies and toast or meat for lunch, and a mix of all three (fruits/veggies, whole grain, and meat) for supper.
Good luck!

Steph and Jes

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-03-2005, 11:55 PM
I've sort of set myself up with making a list of things I can and cannot eat. I am trying to cut out sugars and diet soda (as hard as it will be to cut out diet soda!) and sort of writing down what I eat and how much I exercise. I think it might help me in the beginning by realizing that maybe I'm not eating enough, eating too much, etc. I'll keep you updated. Tomorrow is day one! Wish me luck!

By the way, if anyone wants to team up or something, sort of do the diet thing together, I'd be more than happy to be support. :) Abby will appreciate the extra walks anyway. ;) :) It'll be benefitting us both in the long run!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-03-2005, 11:58 PM
Aah, I'd also like to mention that I want to start Pilates again. That REALLY helped me when I did it before. It's also pretty fun. :) I recommend it to anyone wishing to be more flexible or just to get back into shape. :)

CagneyDog
08-04-2005, 12:01 AM
I've been looking at this thread for tips. I have also been trying to loose weight. Everything seems so simple when you read it buts its hard to actually follow it :p

Anyways,

Good luck Megan :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-04-2005, 12:28 AM
I know. I've tried a few times before.

Another thing that seems to motivate me a little is looking at all the anorexic and bulemic people's xangas. The way they look at things makes me seem like a pig, so I take in a lot of their tips. I'll post a few.

TIPS
1. Drink one glass of water every hour. It will make you feel full.

2. Drink ice cold water. Your body will burn calories just getting the water to a normal temperature to digest. Also it is great for your complexion.

3. Drink 3 cups of green tea daily. It will help boost your metabolism, plus its anti-oxidants make your skin look great.

4. Take vitamins daily. Do not take vitamins on an empty stomache, otherwise they have nothing to catalyze with.

5. Eat ice or gum when hungry. This will make your body think it had food without the calories.

6. Do aerobics until you want to faint.

7. Eat spicy foods. They raise your metabolism.

8. Take cold showers because your body will burn calories to heat you back up.

9. DON'T take laxatives. They don't help you to lose weight.

10. DON'T use diruretics. They only dehydrate you.

11. Brush your teeth constantly so you won't be tempted to eat afterwards.

12. Weat a rubberband around your wrist. Snap it when you want to eat.

13. Clean something gross (toilet, litter box, boyfriend's closet) when you want to eat. You will not want to eat after cleaning a litter box.

14. Keep your hair in good condition so no one will suspect anything.

15. Get a job so you'll have to work through meal times.

16. Exercise twice the amount of calories eaten.

17. Use smaller plates and utensils so it seems like you ate more.

18. Chew eat bite of food thoroughly and then take a sip of water between bites. You will feel full quicker and will not eat as much.

19. Say you are going to eat at a friend's house and instead go for a walk. You will be burning calories instead of taking them in.

20. Buy clothes that you can't fit into and hang them wear you can see them. This will motivate you to lose weight to fit into them.

21. Sleep at least six hours a day. If you get less than six this can lower your metabolism by 15%.

22. If you start to feel hungry do situps or punch yourself in the stomach. You will not feel hungry anymore.

23. Pamper yourself! Give yourself a facial, paint your nails, anything to make you feel pretty.

24. Make yourself a snack, but instead of eating it throw it away. Leave the dirty dishes where your parents can find them. They will think you ate.

25. Prepare a list of excuses as to why you can't eat - You're sick, you're a vegetarian, allergic, etc. You'd be amazed at how many good excuses there are.

26. Get out of your house! If you're not sitting around then people can't start shit with you about not eating.

27. Join a pro-ana group or start your own website. Anything that will keep you motivated.

28. Make an ANA scrapbook with pics of skinny models. Right down all the reasons you want to lose weight. Keep track of everything you eat. Look at it daily for thinsperation.

29. Keep good posture, burns 10% more calories when you sit up straight.

30. Instead of food, buy something else, a new shirt, flowers, jewelrey etc.

31. Make a list of all the "bad" foods that you crave and tend to binge on. Each day, pick one to take out of your diet that you absolutely, no matter what, cannot eat again. Take one off the list each day until there are no more bad foods you can have.

32. Avoid alcohol! A shot of liquor has 100-120 calories, a glass of wine has 80 calories, a lite beer has 110-120 calories, and a regular beer has 140-170 calories.

33. Never eat anything bigger than about a cup, your stomach will expand and then you'll get hungry more.

34. Eat in front of a mirror naked. See how much you can eat then!

35. The smell of coffee is suppose to supress appetite.

36. Wear perfectly applied lip gloss. It makes you more aware of what's going in your mouth. Also, flavored ones help with cravings.

37. Have 6 small meals a day. Take 2 apples, and split them so you can make 6 meals out of them. That way your body will be tricked into thinking it's eating more.

38. Low calorie hot chocolate curbs chocolate cravings, and makes you feel full.

39. Take anti-heartburn pills if you're really hungry. They nuetralize the acid that builds and makes you hungry.

40. Take a picture of yourself wearing a bathing suit or something equally revealing, look at it when you want to eat.

41. It takes 20 minutes for the brain to realize the stomach is full.

42. When you get hunger pains curl into a ball, it makes them go away.

43. If you're a smoker and hungry, light up a cigarette. It curbs your appetite.

44. Eat lots of fiber. It makes you feel full and takes fat with it out of your body. The natural cleansing helps improve both your energy level and overall feeling of wellness.

45. Before you dig into that cake, bag of chips, candy, or whatever, take a deep breath and count to 100. Usually by the time you get to 100 you will have convinced yourself that you don't really want it.

46. When you're hungry chug 2 glasses (or how many you need) of straight water. It'll make you so full and nauseous you will have completely lost your appetite.

47. Celery actually burns calories. Every hour eat a stalk of it. Not only will it fill you up, but it will also get your metabolism kickin'.

48. Weigh yourslef before and after every time you eat. Not only will it eliminate unnecessary eating, but it will make you want to eat less when you see the numbers creep up.

49. Read the nutritional information. Remember, fat-free does not mean calorie-free. Also keep an eye on fiber content. Get as much fiber into your diet as you can, while cutting fat and calories.

50. Don't eat a lot at once. Spread your food throughout the day. This will help to avoid binging and keep your metabolism going.

51. If you like to drink alcohol, you'll like this. Make a rule: You can only drink every time you lose 2lbs. So, if you lose 4lbs a week, you can drink Friday and Saturday night. However, if you only lose 2lbs a week, you only get to drink one night.

52. Do not eat in front of the computer or TV. This distracts you from recognizing you're full.

53. Save the money you would have spent on that meal in a jar. Save it in a bottle instead and watch it grow.

54. Stay away from Slim-fast and other so-called "healthy" candy bars and shakes... one look at the nutition facts will tell you why. With all the carbs and excess calories you may as well go eat a freakin pie or something. Not to mention the rediculous prices... save yourself the money, and the calories.

55. Instead of buying food, buy yourself flowers. Food is depressing, but flowers make you happy.

56. When having cravings drink a couple glasses of water with slices of lemons and count to 100 and it should go away.

57. Eating 100 cals 4 times a day is better than eating a 400 cal meal.

58. An occasional binge doesn't hurt, in fact it's quite beneficial if you have reached a plateau (stopped losing weight). Your body will think you have stopped starving yourself, and you will drop at least a pound overnight! Just don't binge too regularly!

59. Someone told me that if you take a pure cold bath for 15-30 min and lower your body temp, your body burns around 200 cals for every degree it has to raise itself to reach a normal body temperture. This person tried it, a 30 min bath lowered their temp about 3-4 degrees

Some of them are bad, nothing to recommend to anyone, but some are helpful.

jennifert9
08-04-2005, 12:29 AM
I absolutely cannot give you healthy eating tips to lose weight since it seems that all I do lately is GAIN weight!! Then again I'm over 30 and I think my "grace period" has ended.. I used to eat whatever I wanted and not gain a pound...now I have to fight for ever single pound I want off!!!
I did do the Atkins thing about 2 years ago and lost 15 lbs in 14days. I kept it off for over a year....I couldn't eat bread at all though..even the thought of it made me sick...unfortunate since my favorite food is PIZZA!!
I will partner with you... I need to lose 20lbs. Atkins isn't cutting it this time....the cravings are killing me and causing me to cheat. It's harder because I live with Collin and he LOVES carbs and never gains a pound!! Granted he walks 15+miles a night at work....? WHATEVER.....
I have had 1100 calories today and have walked almost 6 miles....I hope I made a dent...who knows...it's SO easy to put it on and SO hard to take it off.....

G535
08-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Wait 'till you get over fifty, that five pounds you could lose in five days will now take five months! Only way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat sensibly and don't follow those crazy diets and of course exercise.

Barbara
08-04-2005, 04:28 AM
More info about how your food should be chosen are here:

http://www.mypyramid.gov/

If you want to lose weight make sure not to ban your cravings totally but to control them- two small pieces of chocolate (like 100 calories) from time to time are not bad- but eating a whole package is. And having two or three diet cokes a week won't kill you- but to have diet sodas whenever you are thirsty is dangerous.

If you ban all the nasty little things totally it is much more likely that one day you just surrender to your cravings and really dive into all the bad stuff:D

It is also not true that all the carbs are bad- it is the carbs that are contained in white bread, white noodles and especially sugar.

All Atkins like diets only work as long as you keep them strictly:(

elizabethann
08-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Don't forget to eat a good breakfast. I find that when I eat a good breakfast, I don't feel very hungry at night time. So I don't pigout at night. Good luck on your weight loss.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-04-2005, 10:53 AM
It's Day One. I had some yogurt for breakfast, and now I'm getting in a little exersize by walking back to my dads house instead of taking the bus or getting a ride. From here to there it's 1.64 miles. Luckily it's only 74*F out and 46% humidity!

finn's mom
08-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I think everything I would say has already been said. Drinking lots of water is really important, as well as drinking some green tea. Eat a good breakfast, and, eat small meals more often. I try to eat six times a day. Even if a meal just consists of half a chicken breast and a serving of veggies. Don't eat really late, either. I mean, try to eat something like three hours before you go to bed. Exercise is important, of course. Do something you like doing, or you won't stick with it. Try to cut out sodas, I know for me, that makes a huge difference. Good luck, I'm trying to get into better shape, too! :)

slleipnir
08-04-2005, 12:06 PM
I should walk home from work tonight instead of a cab..cause I'm poor. It's like a 45 min walk...after working 9 hrs...I'll be toolazy I'm sure haha. Then again it's at1am in the morning o_O! I should walk more. This thread makes me wanna though

Uabassoon
08-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Please don't read anymore tips from anorexia/bulemic websites. There is a reason these people end up hospitialized! For them it isn't about being healthy, it's a mental disorder that is very bad for your body and overall health. Most of those tips were horrible and that fact that you were looking for there tips worries me.

CagneyDog
08-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
I know. I've tried a few times before.

Another thing that seems to motivate me a little is looking at all the anorexic and bulemic people's xangas. The way they look at things makes me seem like a pig, so I take in a lot of their tips. I'll post a few.

Those "tips" are disgusting. They are going to hurt you, not help you. Please don't do any of that stuff!

buckner
08-04-2005, 01:14 PM
That list of "tips" you got from Xanga anorexic/bulemic victims is not wise to follow. The first few were okay, I'd say, but MOST of them were horrible. Please, don't EVER starve yourself or purge after binging.

Tips for weight loss. I'm full of them, but I don't follow them! :p I need to lose SO much weight, but I'm taking little steps. I just got back from vacation, so I'm starting again. Eat something for breakfast - yogurt and fruit, bagel with reduced fat peanut butter, etc etc. Just something to get you going, so your metabolism gets going too. Depending on your schedule --- say you had breakfast at 6am, eat a snack around 9 or so, then lunch at 12 or 1, snack at 3 or 4, and dinner around 6 or 7. I don't recommend eating before bed. At least 3 hours before you go to bed. For me, if I make a time - "If I haven't eaten dinner by 7pm, I wasn't hungry anyways". Oh, and count your calories, but don't become obsessed. No less than 1200 calories a day, or you will lose weight much slower.

Exercise is a key thing, but I guess you've figured that out. Unless you're an exercise freak, I don't recommend joining a gym. I've been a member at LAC (a gym here in Louisville) for 14 months, and I haven't gotten my money's worth all around just because I don't have the time to get to the gym. Instead, pop in a video in get moving! Or walk/run around the block with Abby.

I'd love to partner up with you, and anybody else. I just want to have all my weight off before college. That gives me about a year, but I'd like it before next summer. Gives me about 9 months, and I've got a lot to lose. I've done it before, and I felt/look great. But when my grandfather died, I became VERY depressed. And when I'm depressed, I eat.. and eat.. and eat. Bad Sara.

Good luck with the weight loss!! It can be a MAJOR pain, but well worth it in the end. And don't make it a diet, make it a lifestyle change.

PS - if you don't mind me asking, how much are you wanting to lose? And what's your time frame?

CagneyDog
08-04-2005, 01:16 PM
And I forgot to mention that I would love to partner up with you, Megan, or buckner :)

MariaM
08-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Lol I've been trying to lose weight too! For...I don't know, a long time. I found a list I made about 3 years ago and it said "eat healthy". LOL! Well, I've tried over the last few years, but never has it gone through. Until.....JUNE! Lol. I'm pretty sure I started up agian in June. I started to watch what I eat alot, but starting slowly. Trying to eat less and better foods.

Now, I'm only about 2 pounds lighter. LOL! But... I WAS like 5 pounds lighter, a couple weeks ago. It's really easy for me to gain weight of course. But, my mind has been really motivated these last couple months, unlike those times where it's only lasted 3 days.

Anyway, about a week ago I started to exercise. I started to run with Major at night, but GAH! I hate running! So I'm trying to find something that will give me exercise, and I LIKE! I just can't stand running.

I WILL PARTNER WITH YOU MEGAN!

Edit: Oh yeah, I also am not planning to lose a *lot*. I just want to lose a bit and KEEP IT OFF. The hardest part. -sigh-

GoldenRetrLuver
08-04-2005, 06:54 PM
I exercise a few times a week, but since I've been sick, I haven't been able to. I really need to start doing it again as soon as I can, I feel gross. I usually exercise 3-5 times a week for at *least* 30-45 minutes, sometimes it's an hour.

I'm with everyone else, stay away from those anorexic/bulimic web sites and their so-called "tips". They aren't healthy at all and will hurt your body instead of helping it. Basically, just cut out all of your soda (as hard as it may be, it WILL help!) and really try to reduce your sugar and fat intake. If you don't BUY any of the unhealthy stuff, you won't be tempted to eat it! Load up on a variety of lots of fresh fruits and veggies and have those for snacks instead. Like others have also said, instead of eating two or three large meals each day, eat five or six small ones instead, and of course, be sure to drink lots of water.

I don't like the word "dieting" because I think most diets are unhealthy for you. I just call it eating healthy. :)

Good Luck! You've gotten some great advice, and I know you'll be able to do it if you can get yourself motivated! :)

K9karen
08-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Unfortunately, due to Mr. Stress, I've lost 20 pounds in the last few months. Not recommended. It's the lowest weight I've been in my life, and believe me, "Do I look Fat"? was a key phrase all my life. I used to gorge when I was stressed, now it's the opposite. I eat only when I'm hungry and don't deprive myself of anything. But I eat smaller portions. If I go out to eat, I usually take 1/2 home for the next day. I watch too much Oprah (is there such a thing?) so I limit "the white stuff", rice, potatoes, bread, which I never really liked anyway. I love chocolate but instead of eating a whole candy bar, I snip off a piece and freeze the rest. My whole family was thin with no weight problems except me (thanks gene pool) and I was always miserable. When I went thru the famous "change" I actually lost weight, who wuuda thought? I forget what magazine I just read, but it listed Weight Watchers as the best diet. Because of all my surgeries, I can't excercise yet. I just love my saggy upper arms now, how attractive. Not. Good luck to everyone. What a hideous battle. Ugh.