PDA

View Full Version : wont poop?

cali
08-03-2005, 05:22 PM
ok, my mom refuses to belive anything could possably be wronge and without my mom on my side the vet is out of the question. here is the thing, Misty has not poopd in nearly 24 hours now, at first I though she was consitipated so I gave her canned pumpikin, that was usless. its not that she is trying and cant poop, the thing is she will not even try, the only other odd thing about her is she is carrying her tail weird, normally when she plays or is in a playfull mood(which is like always) she curled her tail over her back, but she is carrying her tail weird lets see if I can describe this..

the base of her tail is being carried about 1 inch straight out and the rest of her tail hanging limp, this is most of the time, and she occassionaly carries the limp part a little higher, but nowhere near normal, or she carries her tail just totally limp. last night her behavior was all weird, she was really clingy and had no energy, pluse the tail thing and not pooping, today though is only not pooping and droopy tail. I just cant figer it out and my mom does not believe anything at all is wronge, and is just shrugging off everything I tell her. without her the vet is out of the question because I have no car, I dont drive, I have no money, and Misty is listed under my moms name at the vet.

so I need an idea, is there any way other then pumpkin to get her to poop, and should I be worried or will it go away on its own?

GoldenRetrLuver
08-03-2005, 05:57 PM
She could have injured her tail, and I would suggest getting her to the vet as soon as you can.

Could she also have gotten into something that's making her "clog up" (constipation)? Is she still eating normally?

cali
08-03-2005, 06:02 PM
she is still eating perfectly normal, consitpation was my first thought as well, but not they normally TRY to poop when they are constipated? Misty wont even try, she walks outside she pee's and walks back in even after eating, all the other dogs poop right after eating and she walks out pee's and comes back in. she is not behaving as if she is in pain or ill her tail is the only clue, and unlike Happy Misty does not hide it when she is hurt or sick, sh exaduerates it lol

Scooby4
08-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Sounds like she may have eaten something and it isn't passing yet. That may have her "backed" up a bit. Give it atleast 48 hours before panicking too much on that. It may come out "in the wash". If she could swallow it, it still may be small enough to pass through her system. My dog Shaggy had a gum wrapper found in his "Poopy" once.:rolleyes:
If you suspect something in the dog's system, you may not want to give her any laxative. She needs the pressure of solid waste to push the item out. Laxatives loosens the stool instead. Try a Pepto Bismal type product instead. It may "bind" better.
Her tail may be up due to the just the retention. My dog Scooby has his tail like that when "gassy". Are you sure the dog hasn't gone to the bathroom in the "wrong place?" Scooby's tail will go up when he is guilty.:rolleyes:
Hope everything will be alright!!!

cali
08-04-2005, 05:40 AM
ok, we are going to wait, treat her like normal and if she does not pass by tonight(so 48 hours) my mom agree'd to CALL the vet as she is leaving for brandom tomorow and will be gone all weekend and I will be at the Ex. all friday.

lv4dogs
08-04-2005, 07:51 AM
I agree with the others.
You can also try to call the vet & see what they have to say on the phone.

cali
08-04-2005, 10:06 PM
*update*

after nearly 48 hours Misty FINALLY pooped, and the more she poops the higher her tail gets lol I am very relieved!

lv4dogs
08-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Thats great!