PDA

View Full Version : Too young to board

JenWhite
08-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi guys! I am looking to you experienced kitty lovers for advice.

We (family) are going on a camping trip for four or five days, and I had planned on leaving my kitties (3) with a family member. However, she is also going to be away during this time. Soo . . . I called my vet to inquire about boarding, but I was told they have to be at least 6mos. old my boys are abt 4 mos. So I really do not want to leave Oreo,Gizmo, and Lenox in our empty home while we're away and just have someone come to feed them and clean their litter box. Any suggestions? Have any of you left your kitties at home and just had someone come in to feed and clean? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

moosmom
08-03-2005, 01:10 PM
I ALWAYS have one of my friends who has experience with cats come in and care for my kits. As a matter of fact I'm going to Connecticut on Friday and I'm having my friend come in.

I've never boarded my cats and never will. I'm too afraid they'll come down with upper respiratory infections or fleas or any other kids of kitty ailments.

If you have a friend that you can trust with your kitties, that's the way to go.

Good luck and have a great time camping!!

Craftlady
08-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Your lucky to family or friends near by. We have no one close by to watch our gang. When I visit family, hubby stays home and visa versa. We dont take vacations/trips.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Whenever I can't take P & CJ with us, I always have someone come in. I've been doing this for years and they're always fine - glad to see us but fine - when we get home. I would actually prefer to have someone come in rather than boarding. It's a lot less stressful on the kitties and like Moosmom says, there's so much less chance of the kitties catching colds or anything when they're in their own home.

I'm sure you will be able to find a competant pet sitter in your area so then it's just a matter of cost, but then again, it would cost a pretty penny to board them also.

Good luck! :)

catlover4ever
08-03-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm very lucky in the fact that when Mark and I go on vacation I have my mom close by to come in and look after my kitties, however there have been times when we have taken vacations and my mom has gone with, like to Disney for 2 weeks, that's when I have someone who I trust with my life come in to take care of the cats. I have never boarded and I'm not sure that I would only because I want the cats to be where they are most comfortable and that would be in there own home.

catnapper
08-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Whjen it was just Allen, we often had people come check in on him and Nicki while we were gone. Did the same when we added Poucner. Now that we have 4 cats, Nicki and 3 fosters, I'd hate to just have someone check in. I'd need the peace of mind that somebody was there for a few hours playing and giveng them attention. Not to mention several litterbox scoopings a day.

kuhio98
08-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Yes, we've left our kitties home alone for several days. Our neighbor or my sister come by every day and feed and water them, plus sit for a while and cuddle. My neighbors will rent a movie and watch it here so that the kitties will cuddle on the couch for a while. And sometimes they leave the radio on real low so that the kitties hear music and voices and aren't so lonely. Our kitties have always done well but are always happy when we return.

JenWhite
08-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Thank you for all of your responses :) I will probably have my neighbor feed my boys and clean their box. I am home most of the day, and you might say I am a bit compulsive about scooping their litter box. I guess it's just like leaving your children with a sitter, you know no one else loves them like Mom :( I am glad that we have three kitties instead of only one at least they'll have each other while we're away.

jazzcat
08-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Now that I have 5 I haven't gone anywhere but when it was just three or less I had someone come by once a day to check food, water and clean boxes.

I boarded Jazz once when she was 6 months old (just barely old enough) and left Ripley at home but that was just because Jazz had been sick and I didn't feel comfortable leaving her home alone. I don't really want to have to do that again but she was so young and didn't feel well so she mainly slept the whole time we were gone.

I'm sure they will be fine and very happy to see you on return.

orangemm
08-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Our guys feel more at home AT HOME and that's what we do when we go away. I only leave if I have someone I trust to check in on them twice a day.

They feel safe & secure here. I don't know what they would feel like if we boarded them. Probably deserted!

catmandu
08-03-2005, 03:51 PM
I AM FORTUNATE,TO HAVE,THE ANIMAL WELFARE ASSOCIATION,COME,IN WHEN I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL,AND THEY DID A GREAT JOB,WATCHING THE HOUSE,AND THE CATS.
IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYONE,YOU CAN GET A PET SITTER,WHO ARE USUALLY BONDED,AND RELIABLE.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/413b6c2e.jpg

Mad Mags Moo
08-03-2005, 04:18 PM
I wish i lived near you as i would love to look after your cats..I am a professional catsitter and have been in business for just a short while...about 4 months!!! Already booked up this month! I would say that having someone you trust or someone your vet would recommend to come in and feed, fuss and do kitty litter duty is the best option!
All the best!
Mags xxx

JenWhite
08-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks Mags! If we lived closer I'd take you up on that offer. A girl I worked with several years ago now works at our vets office. She has agreed to take care of my boys while I am away. I trust her, and know that she'll give them lots of love.:D