PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Taffys?

Pawsitive Thinking
08-03-2005, 10:10 AM
My daughter watched an episode of Friends a few years ago and these were mentioned - what the h**l are they? :p

caseysmom
08-03-2005, 10:19 AM
I just got back from a camping trip to the ocean. We always stop and buy salt water taffy. Salt water is really not in them, I can't remember how they got the name, they are a chewy candy. They are individually wrapped in a white wrapper and they come in may different flavors.

Edwina's Secretary
08-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Salt water taffy is a candy. Chewy enough to pull your fillings out! Usually sold at state fairs and beach communities.

It is good.

elizabethann
08-03-2005, 11:35 AM
OMG! I LOVE Salt Water Taffy! Not good to eat if you have crowns or fillings though! My favorite is banana and strawberry. Oh and I like vanilla and chocolate too. I never liked the mint flavored ones.

I usually let them melt in my mouth...they last longer and they'll save my crowns & fillings.

:D

JenBKR
08-03-2005, 12:34 PM
They're good...make me think of the beach...

MariaM
08-03-2005, 01:40 PM
They sell really cheap ones at our grocery store, they aren't that good.

However, when we were in Oregon, they had a LOT near the beaches! Really good stuff, they had a whole store decicated to it, sooo many different flavours! And there was this guy in costume on the street giving away free ones! :D

jesse_3
08-03-2005, 01:50 PM
YUM!! I LOVE salt water taffy! I was not too forward about trying them, but I am glad that I did!

Steph and Jes

LoudLou
08-03-2005, 02:23 PM
http://www.virtualnjshore.com/tbswtaffy.html

"...the first taffy made and sold in Atlantic City called 'Salt Water Taffy' was more gimmick than anything else. One legend has it that a taffy vendor named David Bradley jokingly referred to the candy as "salt water taffy" after sea water soaked his supply of the candy in an 1883 summer storm.

Although many people believe Bradley invented the candy, no one really knows who was responsible for it's recipe. Another legend says it was created by the Ritchie Brothers and Windle Hollis in 1880. Taffy historians claim that the candy was being sold at Midwest county fairs that same year, but the Ritchie Brothers and Hollis were the first to make the candy in Atlantic City. So they may or may not have been the candy's original true creators.

One thing is certain though: It was Joseph Fralinger who popularized the salt water taffy and became Atlantic City's Saltwater Taffy King. Fralinger realized the potential of selling the candy to bathers and boardwalk visitors, and he saw there was a market for taking home the taffy as a souvenir. As an experiment, he boxed up the candy and he coudn't keep up with the demand.

Competition sprouted quickly, and Fralinger soon had his biggest rival: confectioner Enoch James and Sons. James had heard about the taffy craze going on in Atlantic City, and he moved from the Midwest to the Jersey Shore to setr up shop just down the boardwalk from Fralingers. James made his taffy a little different. It is said he used vegetable oil and also cut his brand to "fit the mouth". Fralinger's taffy was long and slender rather than rectangular, and Atlantic City's first taffy war was on! To this day, fralinger's and James' taffy stores still exist and are in keen competition with each other.

Others had joined in the 'taffy war' and by the mid-1920's, there were over 450 companies making and selling saltwater taffy at the height of its popularity. Though it was sold in many places, Atlantic City remained the saltwater taffy 'capital of the world, and the candy is still synonymous with the boardwalk."

Salt Water taffy is Good.... but denture wearers BEWARE...

:o :rolleyes:

Samantha Puppy
08-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Eh, they're okay. I like one or two flavors but the rest I can take or leave. My mom loves them though.

Pawsitive Thinking
08-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Not much chance of finding them here then?

caseysmom
08-04-2005, 10:35 AM
I think you should be able to find them in a large store like walmart in the candy section.

Corinna
08-04-2005, 11:11 AM
We sell huckleberry flavor at work it is great (not for a diabetic) I have to only snick one when some staff buy a bag.

CountryWolf07
08-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Yum! I love Salt Water Taffys!

davidpizzica
08-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
We sell huckleberry flavor at work it is great (not for a diabetic) I have to only snick one when some staff buy a bag. I'll go along with that, Corinna. SUGAR!

catnapper
08-04-2005, 02:13 PM
YUM! Surely there's a PTer heading ot the beach any day soon? If not, I'll see if I can persuade mom to get me some when she and dad go. We've got to get a box of them to you! They're ooey and gooey. Yes, soem flavors are better than others, but they are fun to eat and take me back to my childhood!

Uabassoon
08-04-2005, 03:53 PM
If no one can send you some you can always order it online to try it.

http://www.fralingers.com/

I'd offer to help, but I don't think I'll be able to find any in the desert! I see it sometimes in the candy aisle at the supermarket but that stuff isn't very good. You want to try the good stuff!

Ginger's Mom
08-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
YUM! Surely there's a PTer heading ot the beach any day soon? If not, I'll see if I can persuade mom to get me some when she and dad go. We've got to get a box of them to you! They're ooey and gooey. Yes, soem flavors are better than others, but they are fun to eat and take me back to my childhood!

What a sweet idea, catnapper (okay, pun intended). Brody's Mum if you are interested, I am pet sitting for a neighbor who is going to Ocean City this weekend (actually she goes about three weekends a month). So if you are interested in trying some, I can ask her to pick a box up, just PM me with your address.

Pawsitive Thinking
08-05-2005, 06:33 AM
Brody's Mum if you are interested, I am pet sitting for a neighbor who is going to Ocean City this weekend (actually she goes about three weekends a month). So if you are interested in trying some, I can ask her to pick a box up, just PM me with your address.

That would be great! Have tried to order online but they don't appear to want to share it with the UK!! Will pm you

Pawsitive Thinking
08-12-2005, 08:27 AM
YUM! YUM! YUM!

Ginger's Mom kindly sent me some.........delicious!

Almita
08-12-2005, 08:46 AM
I remember when I watched this on Unwrapped on Food Network but I don't remember how it is made or what it is made out of like a laffy taffy but witha different original flavor just laffy taffy is the latest one of something like that.